Magnificent
    Just tryin to be Jay Bilas...
    Magnificent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1118

Keys to finding a +500 - +600 Money line winner like ND tonight?

What do sharps look for in picking a winner like that? Was it really a long shot that they could win this game? I'm just trying to get some insight from guys who have experience in seeing these big odds pay. I never really used to pay attention to moneylines besides their meaning of Team A should win and Team B should lose. I can pick off a +150-200 range from time to time. But to be honest, as an amateur bettor, I'm scared to death to put my money on odds like that, and would rather just take the points (kicking myself in the ass afterwards, thinking I'm a sharp). I picked Pitt tonight so I'm not trying to say I was about to take the ND money line. Lately I've been looking at these a lot, and I really want to hit one of these bitches! I dont want to force it tho. So any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated! BOL

surfpunk17
    surfpunk17's Avatar Become A Pro!

I supposed picking a game with two top 25 teams with identical records is a good place to look.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: numismatist

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

chuck darts
    Points Awarded:

Harmy G gave rm18 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Magnificent
    Just tryin to be Jay Bilas...
    Magnificent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1118

I should be a little more specific I suppose. Obviously they were both Top 25 teams. So the next time two Top 25's face off and one is a heavy favorite that I should go with the underdog? I cant say that would be an auto pick in the future. Why would the books offer up such big odds on a largely public pick? If that were the case (IMO) than everyone would be getting rich betting huge odd moneylines because itd be a lock. I as an amateur would be more under the perception that a team not largely backed by the public would hit more often on those big odds. No?

mtc44380
    mtc44380's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 466

BINGO!
    There really is no way to find those plays consistantly... IMO. You can find games that show alot of value in the spread, but to think you can find +500 and above winners on a consistant basis using a system I think it pretty far out.
    As the previous guy stated, two teams in the top 25 WOULD be a good place to start. Its just a matter of catching a slumping team like ND on a hot night. I took ND +10, but I didnt think they would win the game, I figured a good spread would be between 6-8 for these 2 teams. So with that said, I dont think anyone can give a concrete answer, just finding the hot team and getting 'lucky'.

homerbush
    homerbush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3780

How about Pitt is kind of overrated not that Norte dame is leaps and bounds above them but that line was rediciilous for what on a neutral floor would be a toss up

All Business
    All Business's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think that hardest thing about betting on NCAA basketball is that it is so unpredictable and random, which is essentially why March Madness is so much fun to follow. There is really no telling when a team is or isn't going to show up.

A big reason why Pittsburgh was so favored was that Notre Dame had just come off of a terribly embarrassing loss to Providence. I feel that a lot of people see this and say to themselves, "Notre Dame can't beat Providence they sure as hell can't beat a much better Pitt team." People are short sighted man.

mistermatt891
    mistermatt891's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 397

it was more the fact that notre dame looked god awful vs providence and had played alot of overtimes recently

neutral
    Update your status
    neutral's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3546

Quote Originally Posted by mistermatt891 View Post
    it was more the fact that notre dame looked god awful vs providence and had played alot of overtimes recently
    It is called having flat spot not necessarily meaning Notre Dame is bad.

numismatist
    Le roi est mort, vive le roi...
    numismatist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1369

Guys lets face it both of these teams are middle of the road Big East teams. OK, they don't suck, but give me a St. Louis or a Stony Brook or a Valparaiso against either of these teams and I'm pretty tempted to bet against them. Neither is going to make any noise this year.

Mozzie7
    Mozzie7's Avatar Become A Pro!

I look for teams in major conferences that I view to be overrated. Pitt was a perfect example tonight -- if you watch any of their games, you will not see a team that deserves to be a dd favorite, let alone ranked in the Top 25. Notre Dame isn't a world beater by any means, but they are an above average Big East team who was undervalued due to a bad last game.

When I bet these games, I bet a few units on the spread and a portion of a unit on the ML.
    Points Awarded:

Magnificent gave Mozzie7 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Da Beer Guy
    Da Beer Guy's Avatar Become A Pro!

To be honest i have no clue. If i knew i would be a rich man.

Like a dumbass i had Pitt ML in a parlay. A truely humbling experience. Yes I know Pitt has layed some eggs at home over the past few years Notre Dame just got waxed by Providence.

Going into Saturday Ken Pom had Pittsburgh ranked #4.

Just doesnt make any sense. Usually when a 10 point dog wins like this they are home. And what is weirder is ND was down 15-3 to start the game.

And how the hell did Pitt only have 36 points with 2 minutes left in the game? most teams score that much by half time!

hougigo
    hougigo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by All Business View Post
    I think that hardest thing about betting on NCAA basketball is that it is so unpredictable and random, which is essentially why March Madness is so much fun to follow. There is really no telling when a team is or isn't going to show up.

A big reason why Pittsburgh was so favored was that Notre Dame had just come off of a terribly embarrassing loss to Providence. I feel that a lot of people see this and say to themselves, "Notre Dame can't beat Providence they sure as hell can't beat a much better Pitt team." People are short sighted man.

I wanted to take ND plus points but couldn't. I haven't been impressed with them on the road and I still wasn't sure how well they were doing after 6 over times in 2 games last week