ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Kansas v. Kansas St. (Write up) - Hopefully a pick later.

KU v. KSU +3.5

I came into this game with a slight lean towards KU ATS or KU ML, but after a looking a bit more into it, I feel the numbers tend to side with KSU (outside of one glaring trend).

I am incredibly familiar with Kansas, but am less versed on KSU – outside of McGruder of course.

The numbers for this game, or at least the ones I look at, show that this is setup to be a great game. Both are sweet 16 or better teams. The back-story of the coaches. The fact that Manhattan is going to bring the ruckus.
    Just a game I know I am going to have action on tonight, so I figured it might as well be an informed dart chuck. (writing it out helps)

KANSAS:

15 wins in a row 7-9 ATS

*Avg 68 possessions and 76 pts per game, yet have failed to score 70 pts in 4 of their last 5 games.

*Kansas has an outstanding overall efficiency rating (.238), and possess a better than average road efficiency rating (.171).

Their style of play is an Uptempo-balanced game – this allows them to basically play with anyone’s style except for maybe the uber-slow paced teams out there (but everyone struggles in those games).

Most “experts” have Kansas winning by 4. (stat guys, not ESPN heads).

Won 44 of last 47 meetings between the two, and Self has absolutely owned them in Manhattan. Think the only loss they have there is when Beasley hit some crazy shot to win.

History between the coaches, as Weber made his best run at Illinois on the back of the players Self brought into the program.

- In my opinion, I think Kansas is currently playing their worst basketball of the season, their players are getting fat and happy and that is a serious concern around the team. Withey has played inconsistent, although McClemore has really stepped it up in conference, which is saying something considering the level he was playing at non-conference.

The main matchup(s) in this game is how Releford guards McGruder, and how Spalding matches up and guards McClemore.

KANSAS ST:

8 wins in a row 6-6-1 ATS

*Avg 65 possessions and 68 points per game. They run a truly balanced system, maybe bordering on the slower side.

Has a decent overall efficiency (.135), but that is still considerably lower than Kansas. Considering the game will most likely have 66 possessions, efficiency is a big thing in this game. Even more so considering everyone is thinking this goes down to the wire and free throw contest.

HOWEVER, where it gets positive for KSU is that they have an outstanding and Kansas-esque home efficiency rating (.238). Which if you are one of those who like to compare road vs. home numbers, see that this is a significant jump in production and also speaks to what a good Home Court advantage Manhattan has.

*Staying with efficiency ratings a bit more and why it benefits KSU, over the last 3 games Kansas has a .097 efficiency rating. That number is downright bad. That low of a rating is seen in teams that are on the bubble come selection Sunday. In contrast, over the last 3 games KSU has an efficiency rating of 1.23. This is important insofar as the last 3 games consist of conference foes for both squads, which means the level of competition is relatively similar as conference play sets up a whole new set of trends and numbers.

The coaching aspect, while interesting – probably matters little in this game. Weber isn’t a terrible coach, and he does give a slight dimension of unfamiliarity which proves to be positive to the newcomer for the first couple games.

A very big factor is how big the home court is for Kansas St in this game. It is going to be an insane atmosphere, as KSU is the number 11 ranked team hosting in state rivals and the no. 3 ranked team in the nation. In games such as this, I always feel better taking the home team. The way the crowd has effected official’s calls over and over again is one of many reasons (see: McKale Center Colorado v. Arizona).

So, with all that said, and taking into account the other underlying basic capping numbers, it points to taking KSU and the points. While it is true that there are no “true” key numbers in basketball, I still feel that 3 and 7 remain important. Getting the hook makes it even nicer.

I haven’t made a play on this game yet, because I want to see what the line and percentages say the closer we get to tip. However, as rare as it is for me to play teasers, I really like Teasing KSU up and grabbing L’ville and teasing them down. (the numbers for the L’ville game are ridiculous, coming off an embarrassing upset – they’re going for blood).

Finally, depending on the number the books hang, based on the offensive struggles of Kansas recently combined with the style of Kansas St., the under might be worth considering.

If anyone else has any insight, that would be awesome. Mainly a KSU homer.

ChalkyDog

Shit, I didn't realize it was that long. Apologies.

yydouble
    Golf Expert
    yydouble's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really enjoyed it bro. Well written, your posts are always good!
    Dont go against KU here. That home ct advg isn't as much vs them. Withey is the difference in this one. He will have 5 blocks at least. KU -3.5 on the road vs #3. That line should tell you something right there. I wouldn't tease it either bro.
    I'm a small time local but I have KU connections within the program. They are rolling right now. They want a chip.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

I do think K State 1st hf is decent angle. KU has been starting slow a little.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Take Kst. Just a system play that has done well for me over the years.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

Really? Is the system none of my damn bizness? What about Leonard Washington?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Take Kst. Just a system play that has done well for me over the years.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

Not at all. Screw Leonard. He got shot in leg.

It is just a basic situation bet when 2 ranked teams play. Spread needs to fit into criteria. I've been too busy to follow hoops everyday but it has gone 4-2 on bets I've placed using it.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

Not at all. Screw Leonard. He got shot in leg.

It is just a basic situation bet when 2 ranked teams play. Spread needs to fit into criteria. I've been too busy to follow hoops everyday but it has gone 4-2 on bets I've placed using it.

Mac is the best KU player since Paul Pierce and Withey is the best shot blocker in the nation. They are in a dif class than K St. Your system is 4-3 now.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by yydouble View Post
    Mac is the best KU player since Paul Pierce and Withey is the best shot blocker in the nation. They are in a dif class than K St. Your system is 4-3 now.
    Withey has been struggling a bit. Not much, but a bit. He is an outstanding shot-blocker and I wouldn't doubt he is better than the ones statistically ahead of him in Bachinski and Obekpa.

However, shot blockers can be exploited fairly easy - especially if they get caught up. Watch what Arizona did to that Bachinski kid this past Saturday in a rivalry for an instance.

That said, I don't see how KSU can matchup with Withey.

Right now I am on a tear ever since I started to really extrapolate efficiency numbers. We shall see, but I am still leaning KSU. Feel if anything, the books are asking for Kansas money with this line.

Anyway, thanks for the props!

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

Quote Originally Posted by yydouble View Post
    Mac is the best KU player since Paul Pierce and Withey is the best shot blocker in the nation. They are in a dif class than K St. Your system is 4-
    3 now.
    Ok. I don't know any players on either team so comparing one to Pierce means nothing to me. Good luck with your bet.

jmdb91011
    jmdb91011's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kansas!!

I think the best play here is def on Kansas. Although KSU is a tough squad, you gotta lay the points and take KANSAS!!

Kansas -3.5
    Kansas ML

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

Nice call Kansas backers. Chalk it as a system L. Got it at +4 from local here for push.

ChalkyDog

Nice call Kansas backers. Chalk it as a system L. Got it at +4 from local here for push.
    Fukkin' sucks, man.

Although, being that close in a game KSU backers should have had no chance of cashing means that whatever that system of yours envelops has some credence to it.

I got burned, went KSU +3.5, teased them and L'ville (can't believe L'ville played that poorly) with betpoints, and made the easy play of teasing KSU and OSU which covers most of my +3.5 loss. So, all in all, spent a few bucks and enjoyed the shit out of an otherwise awesome night in college hoops.

Might have a writeup for the UCLA v. Zona game. I imagine that game getting a lot of action.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

Went to AZ. Glad to see they are getting good again. NBA filled with Lute's kids.

Miami was a system play earlier. Think that is last one for week.