nicktran808
    nicktran808's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why do a lot of college teams shoot better than NBA teams?

Question that has come up recently in my mind and has bothered me, especially with NBA teams shooting 30% f'ing me over in bets. Factoring everything that I'm aware of in, I feel like NBA should consistently shoot higher than college teams.

Some would argue defense.
    In my opinion, "defense" in the NBA is ridiculous. For the most part, I see no defense in the NBA. Any resemblance of defense in the NBA is absolutely pathetic to the real defense played in college basketball.

Some would argue tougher shooting, probably in part to "defense"
    My response is that these guys are paid to play basketball for the rest of their useful careers/lives. They've got eons of experience on college players, yet they can shoot like complete sh*t. Also, only the cream of the crop of college see court time in the NBA. They should be shooting pretty dam well...

The only thing I'll give to the NBA is the 3-pointers, but even then I could redirect it under the argument of experience in the NBA which should make them good at it.

Before engaging in this discussion and potentially flaming me, please keep in mind that
    1) Up until college, I didn't watch, follow, nor care for basketball
    2) I watch a decent amount of basketball, mostly college basketball, now. I am a huge homer for Creighton, because I go there and am front row student section every home game and we're going to the Final Four this year.
    3) IMO CBB > NBA (and NFL > CFB)

Discuss.

Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

The NBA is comprised of uncoachable prima donnas and stoners with no work ethic and guaranteed contracts. So why bother with the fundamentals? They have better things to do with their time and million dollar bank accounts. Like clubbing, joint smoking and orgies. Not the kind of life style that leads to excellence in their field.

By the by, ex NBA all star Rick Barry guarantees he can teach ANY current player to hit free throws at a 90% rate minimum. But he has no takers. His technique is to shoot them underhanded and players tell him that they don't want to look silly shooting free throws that way. How about that, looking cool is more important than helping your team win. Unbelievable but true.

Rick Barry's career free throw stats: 3,818—4,243 .900%
    In the 1978-79 season he missed only 9 free-throw attempts!
    In today's NBA the muscle bound stiffs miss that many charity tosses in a single game

Incidentally, I am a Creighton fan also but they are not going to the final four. Their defense isn't good enough to take them that far. An elite eight run at best and that would be fantastic. Go Jays!
    Last edited by Isaiah; 01-06-13 at 01:04 AM.

scholesy
    [Too Long]
    scholesy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1685

LMAO you must not watch enough college bball because these kids cannot shoot worth a crap, even though they're using a smaller ball with a shorter 3-point line.
    I mean these kids cannot even make open jump shots against zone defense that every college team plays. Teams will absolutely get killed playing zone defense in the NBA.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

why do they have a 35 second shot clock when the students just waste 10 seconds of it dribbling in place? serious question, not a jab. is it for fatigue reasons to slow the game down so they don't get tired?

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

Quote Originally Posted by scholesy View Post
    LMAO you must not watch enough college bball because these kids cannot shoot worth a crap, even though they're using a smaller ball with a shorter 3-point line.
    I mean these kids cannot even make open jump shots against zone defense that every college team plays. Teams will absolutely get killed playing zone defense in the NBA.
    college hoops uses a smaller ball than NBA?