ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Best day of the year so far.

It's college basketball season, and I just saw my Cats destroy some poor DII school in an exhibition game. More importantly, it is the start of my favorite season in sports.

Boys, this is going to be a great year!

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

chalker i didnt realize the pac 10 season opened up so early

ChalkyDog

Gonna be a good year.

Luckily, from what I can tell, if we ever get lucky enough to meet UL in the dance - we have an effective press break finally.

No more of the 40 pt routes in the sweet 16.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Gonna be a good year.

Luckily, from what I can tell, if we ever get lucky enough to meet UL in the dance - we have an effective press break finally.

No more of the 40 pt routes in the sweet 16.
    Yeah that game was fun...

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    chalker i didnt realize the pac 10 season opened up so early
    I have a severe condition of fanatacism with Arizona basketball. I was following the kids who are finally suiting up for us this year since they were sophomores in HS.

Nothing better than this time of year. The desert cools down to the best temps in the country, the lights turn on in college basketball arenas across the country, and the golf courses are in their best condition.

'Tis the season!

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

It's college basketball season, and I just saw my Cats destroy some poor DII school in an exhibition game. More importantly, it is the start of my favorite season in sports.

sorry chalker....the bolded is what i was referring to

oh and i guess its pac 12....cant get used to that

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

I agree chalky, Good luck to your boys this year...

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

How do they look Chalky? Did undergrad at U of A and skipped on ball to stick with school and make money. Lute and Bobbi were very good to me when I was there. Fun times. Heard TD's is still poppin. Might try and fly into Tucson for a few days in 2 weeks to see how things are.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Kentucky all the way bro!!!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: 4uk4life

Plus573
    It's Miller Time
    Plus573's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

So glad it is finally here. Everyone looked good tonight -- Feels good to have a true PG and big man. Will be a fun season, can't wait for everything to get into full swing.

"Over the past few years we've had the opportunity to play UCLA, Arizona, Nevada and other top Division I programs," HSU head coach <dfn style="font-style: normal; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; ">Steve Kinder</dfn> said. "(Assistant) Coach (Carl) Nash has seen many top teams play during his career with major basketball programs, but he commented that this was by far the best team he's ever witnessed. The Wildcats are going to contend for the national championship this year." http://hsujacks.com/news/2012/11/1/MBB_1101122053.aspx

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    How do they look Chalky? Did undergrad at U of A and skipped on ball to stick with school and make money. Lute and Bobbi were very good to me when I was there. Fun times. Heard TD's is still poppin. Might try and fly into Tucson for a few days in 2 weeks to see how things are.
    Best team since Lute retired, and it isn't close. We have future NBA players coming off the bench. This is my 5th time watching this team this season in "games" (bahama trip and now this game plus intersquad scrimmage), and I am literally shocked at how well everyone has transitioned into college.

Our Freshman bigs wont play against a better front court than what they see in Practice everyday until maybe UCLA - or if we cross paths with Louisville or UK in the dance.

This kid Grant Jerret (freshman) is getting insane love by NBA scouts right now, and he isn't even the best freshman front court player on the team.

Seniors on the wings and point - all ideal college players.

---

What time did you attend? Lute and Bobbi were and to a large extent still are the U of A. Lute is still ~7 rows up from the players bench every game. Still a massive presence in the program.

---

TD's will never go dead out here, east and west are still packing it in while other shops keep closing down and reopening over and over again. As far as longevity, I think only the Boat (raiders reef) and maybe Tens are even in the discussion.

Generally, Tucson is exactly what it has been for the last 30ish years - too big to be small, too small to be big. This is a great time of year though - money is flowing in the streets in Tucson due to the University, produce, and the illegal "produce" industries.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by Plus573 View Post
    So glad it is finally here. Everyone looked good tonight -- Feels good to have a true PG and big man. Will be a fun season, can't wait for everything to get into full swing.

"Over the past few years we've had the opportunity to play UCLA, Arizona, Nevada and other top Division I programs," HSU head coach Steve Kinder said. "(Assistant) Coach (Carl) Nash has seen many top teams play during his career with major basketball programs, but he commented that this was by far the best team he's ever witnessed. The Wildcats are going to contend for the national championship this year." http://hsujacks.com/news/2012/11/1/MBB_1101122053.aspx
    BOOM!

Nice quote!

Plus573
    It's Miller Time
    Plus573's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

Highlight video but not nearly long enough to see everything.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

did they run any semblance of an offense? They have the makings of a "dribble drive" aka "I don't want to coach" offensive team IMO

Hilljacademics
    Hilljacademics's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18799
    Last edited by Hilljacademics; 11-04-12 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Gonna be a good year.

TPowell

I don't see them being much, of any better than ucla or cal, but I think they could be a sweet 16 team with a good draw

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    did they run any semblance of an offense? They have the makings of a "dribble drive" aka "I don't want to coach" offensive team IMO
    Right now, we added 7 new players - more than half the team. So, what you are seeing is a very simple motion offense. It is a lot more fluid than years past, as they aren't stuck on the perimeter, and the point and wing players are especially good at getting to the rim.

Millers offense evolves over a season, and according to roster.

I know for a fact that at this point in the season he keeps the use of set play calls within the motion to an absolute minimum. Even when he does call plays, it is probably only 30-40 percent of the time anyway.

Also, it's only a motion when against a man to man D. They go zone, and you will see something else.

Miller is a coaches coach. He damn near knows anything, and he gives clinics - which D1 coaches have attended, and high major D1 coaches have praised and watched.

Miller's genius (on offense) is really how he has his team trained once a play breaks down and what schemes to run at that point. That is his main edge right now. Although, his belief in man-to-man only defense, plus the use of the pack-line, and his obsession with insane depth is probably where he will hang his hat this season.

If you are trying to equate it to the "roll it on the court and play ball" coach of the Cal dribble-drive, it isn't even close other than being a motion offense that puts an emphasis one swinging the ball quickly around the arch.

4uk4life
    4uk4life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1820

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by 4uk4life View Post

I loathe the guy, and it pains me to say we have him to "thank" for our current coach.

UK is bad this year. Worst since John took over.

Next year however, UK will probably assemble the greatest college team possibly ever.

Andrew Wiggins is a more athletically freakish LeBron James at the same age (that says a ton, because I am of the impression LBJ is the world leader in freakish athleticism).

Add him to James Young (already league material) and the Harrison twins (awesome 2-3 year players) plus a lot of the other peices that will have to stay at UK from this year because they're nothing like projected - and UK needs to just be handed the trophy, because it's over.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

jeffdane
    jeffdane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

so what day does the season start. did i see the 9th?

Mr. Doughnut
    Mr. Doughnut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1778

and this

oh and for the slimy UK fuxks

TPowell

I loathe the guy, and it pains me to say we have him to "thank" for our current coach.

UK is bad this year. Worst since John took over.

Next year however, UK will probably assemble the greatest college team possibly ever.

Andrew Wiggins is a more athletically freakish LeBron James at the same age (that says a ton, because I am of the impression LBJ is the world leader in freakish athleticism).

Add him to James Young (already league material) and the Harrison twins (awesome 2-3 year players) plus a lot of the other peices that will have to stay at UK from this year because they're nothing like projected - and UK needs to just be handed the trophy, because it's over.

Doubt they'll be much better than last year's team and that team wasn't much better than Louisville so no, they won't be handed the trophy

ChalkyDog

The class they are getting in 2013 is beyond ridiculous. It far exceeds the talent of their last team, Wiggins alone is better than anyone on that team.

UL was an awesome team last year. They have the perfect system for the dance if they have a lead guard like Siva. UL is far better than Kentucky this year.

isotopes
    isotopes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

It's going to be Cuse and Louisville leading the Big East again this year. Calapari and Kentucky will lead the NCAA in ineligible players, recruiting violations, and extra marital affairs. God, is it just me or does the sight of Calapari's ugly ass face just make you want to punch something?

(Dear, Kentucky fan's, I am joking with you so please don't go all crazy and pop a blood vessel, I kid because your team is always good and that is annoying. Seriously though, Calapari's face is annoying.)

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Mr. Doughnut

It really is only a matter of time before Calipari gets caught.

I think Trey Lyles will be the straw that broke the camel's back. Why else in the world does a kid commit to a school when they are awful (IU two years ago) then decommit once they are back on top of the world (current IU)? It helps when you have an overly-involved dad who wants some CASH for his son's services. 100% chance he ends up at UK because Cal will PONY UP the dough!

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

What do you guys think the line willBe on UNC vs Indiana?

Mr. Doughnut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    What do you guys think the line willBe on UNC vs Indiana?
    IU -6.5/-7 somewhere around there.

4uk4life
    4uk4life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1820

LOL I love all the Kentucky hate. It only shows how jealous people are. We're not that bad this year. Louisville is in NO way better than we are this year.. Yes we are down compared to previous Cal years but by no means are we horrible.

I also love how Indiana hangs a banner for that last second miracle shot at home that gave Kentucky our only regular season loss which we avenged by knocking them OUT of the NCAA tournament haha. I'll trade that loss for the win we got any day of the year

Cal has NEVER been implicated for cheating by the NCAA but fans still want to hang their hat on that because it's all they have. Indiana, UCLA and several other schools all have multiple ineligible players at the moment but its never heard from because they aren't as scary as Kentucky is right now.

If you believe otherwise than I'm more than willing to view proof that Cal was implicated in any cheating that happened at either umass or memphis. The NCAA openly stated he was clear in both situations

There is a LOOOONG list of schools who have been caught up in cheating/scandals including louisville/duke/unc/indiana/ucla/baylor/tennessee/syracuse and so many others in just the past few years . I find it hilarious Kentucky is always accused yet these other schools have actually been penalized or investigated while Kentucky magically gets a bye? I guess we're the only school that either A. Knows how to hide it really good or B. we pay off everyone including the NCAA head officials.

Haters are gonna hate though. It's ok and like I said I absolutely LOVE it because it just shows who everyone fears and reeks of jealousy

Until Kentucky is included in that list I posted above, you're gonna need to bring something better than Cal/Ky cheats/buys players/ It's only a matter of time blah blah blah. (not directed at you isotopes :P )

And NO, Trey Lyles is NOT coming to Ky LOL

And yes 2013 will be the Greatest class assembled in the history of college if we get who we are expected to get and we were and will be miles better than louisville. This will be your best year to beat us when our talent is all new players with the exception of Wiltjer.

Louisville is overrated and Indiana will be very good if they get their guys eligible. We're not great right now but could be if our guys mesh. I will be happy with a sweet 16, super excited with an elite 8 and anything else would just be gravy. Coming off a National Title and losing 6 guys, I can't expect a whole lot this year.

I do pull for other teams when we don't play. I respect Arizona(my wife is from there but that's not the sole reason hehe). The only teams I really really do not care for are Louisville, Indiana, Duke, UNC and UCLA

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

LOL I love all the Kentucky hate. It only shows how jealous people are. We're not that bad this year. Louisville is in NO way better than we are this year.. Yes we are down compared to previous Cal years but by no means are we horrible.

I also love how Indiana hangs a banner for that last second miracle shot at home that gave Kentucky our only regular season loss which we avenged by knocking them OUT of the NCAA tournament haha. I'll trade that loss for the win we got any day of the year

Cal has NEVER been implicated for cheating by the NCAA but fans still want to hang their hat on that because it's all they have. Indiana, UCLA and several other schools all have multiple ineligible players at the moment but its never heard from because they aren't as scary as Kentucky is right now.

If you believe otherwise than I'm more than willing to view proof that Cal was implicated in any cheating that happened at either umass or memphis. The NCAA openly stated he was clear in both situations

There is a LOOOONG list of schools who have been caught up in cheating/scandals including louisville/duke/unc/indiana/ucla/baylor/tennessee/syracuse and so many others in just the past few years . I find it hilarious Kentucky is always accused yet these other schools have actually been penalized or investigated while Kentucky magically gets a bye? I guess we're the only school that either A. Knows how to hide it really good or B. we pay off everyone including the NCAA head officials.

Haters are gonna hate though. It's ok and like I said I absolutely LOVE it because it just shows who everyone fears and reeks of jealousy

Until Kentucky is included in that list I posted above, you're gonna need to bring something better than Cal/Ky cheats/buys players/ It's only a matter of time blah blah blah. (not directed at you isotopes :P )

And yes 2013 will be the Greatest class assembled in the history of college if we get who we are expected to get and we were and will be miles better than louisville. This will be your best year to beat us when our talent is all new players with the exception of Wiltjer.

Louisville is overrated and Indiana will be very good if they get their guys eligible. We're not great right now but could be if our guys mesh. I will be happy with a sweet 16, super excited with an elite 8 and anything else would just be gravy. Coming off a National Title and losing 6 guys, I can't expect a whole lot this year.

I do pull for other teams when we don't play. I respect Arizona(my wife is from there but that's not the sole reason hehe). The only teams I really really do not care for are Louisville, Indiana, Duke, UNC and UCLA
    I tried to read this, but I'll save everyone the time...

BLAH BLAH BLAH, Im an uneducated Lexington fan who can't form a logical opinion or have a logical conversation about any other good team. Can't wait to fukkin roll you kittens this year...

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10288

Chalky...
    I feel the excitement...
    Good luck to you and your Wildcats on the season.

ChalkyDog

UK isn't that bad, is a subjective thing. UK is a fringe top 20 team - and with recent success, that is bad for you guys. You will make the dance - but be lucky to make the sweet 16.

UL is loads better than UK this year. They have a real shot at the title. UK has to simply take their medicine, as the following year will be theirs to lose.

Noel isn't the top recruit in the nation, I wouldn't even put Noel in the top 10. I have seen him play in person, a long with many other players - and Noel doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Shabazz Muhammad or Kyle Anderson. I would actually put many players ahead of that one dimensional big man.

Noel wouldn't even start for UL.