zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

what do you guys think of Dan Hanners NCAAB projections compared to KenPom?

apparently this Hanner is supposed to be all the new rave. hard to compete with Pomeroy though.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...articleid=2426

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

this is awful. Missouri and Tenny are fringe top 25 teams at best. Kentucky is way overrated. Miami is WAY too low, as well as Michigan. VCU is way too low.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15313

Kenpom says that the teams don't very much year to year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ferent-picture

The logic goes like this: If you could have one thing to predict a team’s offense, what would it be? It turns out last season’s offensive efficiency would be that thing. It does a good job of predicting offense the following season. After that, the previous season’s offensive efficiency is the next best predictor, and after that, last season’s defensive efficiency helps a bit. (Flip the script for the defensive predictors.) Those three things are the foundation of the system.

I'm just not a big believer in these model guys. Kenpom data alone does not win against the Vegas lines and neither will the Hanner data. No doubt for the handicapper that the numbers are a helpful handicapping tool but on their own they do not win.

Honestly I don't see much difference in the two. Looks like the same offense efficiency, defense efficiency type dat that you get with kenpom.

Emily_Haines

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    this is awful. Missouri and Tenny are fringe top 25 teams at best. Kentucky is way overrated. Miami is WAY too low, as well as Michigan. VCU is way too low.
    It just all depends what people think. I think even though Missouri lost four starters the people they have coming in with the addition of Bowers this year who sat out last year put them well in the top 20.

That's part of the problem with these early season numbers. No one really knows and we all are just guessing.

TPowell

Stanford above Cal is awful. South Florida is drastically underrated, as well as St Johns.

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    It just all depends what people think. I think even though Missouri lost four starters the people they have coming in with the addition of Bowers this year who sat out last year put them well in the top 20.

That's part of the problem with these early season numbers. No one really knows and we all are just guessing.

They return 3 guys from their team last year and don't bring in THAT MUCH. Unreal how overrated they are

Emily_Haines

They add the best player from Pepperdine Keion Bell
    They add Alex Oriakhi from UConn
    and they get
    Laurence Bowers after sitting out last year

They lost some good offensive players Marcus Denmon and Kim English, but they added three players two of which are outstanding players on defense. I don't see how anyone can think this team will not be very good.

TPowell

and they get

They lost some good offensive players Marcus Denmon and Kim English, but they added three players two of which are outstanding players on defense. I don't see how anyone can think this team will not be very good.

did you watch Oriakhi play? The guy isn't the same player from 2 years ago. They also lost Ratcliffe and the other Pressley kid. They return TWO guys that played last year... get 1 guy back from injury, add a couple good transfers and people think they'll be as good as they were last year?

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Extraordinarily useful.

To get multiple takes on the same thing is essential.

Hanner seems to know what he is doing. I think Ken Pom is still and will remain the authority on NCAA basketball, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement or at the very least differing opinions.

ChalkyDog

Stanford above Cal is awful. South Florida is drastically underrated, as well as St Johns.
    Stanford will be decent this year - they have some good players. Cal is a big question mark - but their coach is insanely better than Stanfords.

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Stanford will be decent this year - they have some good players. Cal is a big question mark - but their coach is insanely better than Stanfords.
    They lost Kamp and Guthirez (sp) but they still have Crabbe and Cobbs back. I think Solomon will be a big time player for them this year too

TPowell

Stanford has a stud in Randle and return a couple more key guys, but a freshman that averaged 14 points a game should be expected to go nuts. They also have a couple freshman who could make the team pretty good, but I'd rather take my chances with a well coached team with a lot of talent coming back

ChalkyDog

They lost Kamp and Guthirez (sp) but they still have Crabbe and Cobbs back. I think Solomon will be a big time player for them this year too
    Crabb could run away with the PAC-POY award. Huge fan of his game.

The conference is Arizona and UCLA, and everyone else playing for 3rd.

TPowell

Crabb could run away with the PAC-POY award. Huge fan of his game.

The conference is Arizona and UCLA, and everyone else playing for 3rd.
    I disagree. I have Cal and UCLA at the top of the conference with Stanford about a point back and Zona a point back of Stanford

zoo youk

the ncaa denied the kid wells from xavier to play this year, has to sit. thats huge asarizona would have got aroumd 15 ppg from him

zoo youk

and they get

keion bell is disgustingly good. glad hes gonna get recognized finally

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    the ncaa denied the kid wells from xavier to play this year, has to sit. thats huge asarizona would have got aroumd 15 ppg from him
    Arizona?

Lyons is fully cleared to play, is starting at point guard. Just saw the guy tear it up in the Arizona version of midnight-madness.

Maybe it's another kid?

ChalkyDog

I disagree. I have Cal and UCLA at the top of the conference with Stanford about a point back and Zona a point back of Stanford
    Cal and Stanford are going to have trouble finishing ahead of Colorado - who is the only other team even in the possible discussion.

UCLA has their best player having extreme issues getting cleared to play. On top of that, who I think to be their best player, their 6'8" "Point Guard" is also not cleared.

Arizona has the biggest front court in the conference. (assuming height - Josh Smith of UCLA is obviously the fattest). All of them are top 10 recruits, and the sophomore is a top 50 recruit that has the California records for career/game blocks and something else - he's most likely coming off the bench. That doesn't even touch on Arizona's best players in Seniors Solomon Hill and Kevin Parrom.

If UCLA doesn't get their guys cleared, especially Shabazz - they're gonna be lucky to get a decent seed in the NIT.

TPowell

Cal and Stanford are going to have trouble finishing ahead of Colorado - who is the only other team even in the possible discussion.

UCLA has their best player having extreme issues getting cleared to play. On top of that, who I think to be their best player, their 6'8" "Point Guard" is also not cleared.

Arizona has the biggest front court in the conference. (assuming height - Josh Smith of UCLA is obviously the fattest). All of them are top 10 recruits, and the sophomore is a top 50 recruit that has the California records for career/game blocks and something else - he's most likely coming off the bench. That doesn't even touch on Arizona's best players in Seniors Solomon Hill and Kevin Parrom.

If UCLA doesn't get their guys cleared, especially Shabazz - they're gonna be lucky to get a decent seed in the NIT.

obviously I'm including UCLA with everybody healthy and eligible. As far as Arizona, I'm not betting on a bunch of freshman (none in the top 10 in their class) beating a well coached veteran team. The Parrom kid isn't a star player by any stretch. Arizona has Hill and the Johnson kid that are very good players and the transfer in Lyons but who knows what the young bigs are going to do and 2 of the 3 are going to have to start. With Colorado, I don't see what you see. They only return 2 starters and 1 more key reserve from a team that overachieved last year

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

How are you guys not talking about Colorado in any of this I barely read this thread I just see PAC12 being talked about, but Colorado should be in this discussion

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeOverUnder View Post
    How are you guys not talking about Colorado in any of this I barely read this thread I just see PAC12 being talked about, but Colorado should be in this discussion
    I don't get the hype. 2 starters back and 1 role player from last year and they are supposed to be better this year?

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER

PAC12

#1 Arizona
    #2 UCLA
    #3 Standford
    #4 Colorado
    #5 USC
    #6 California
    #7 Oregon
    #8 UTAH
    #9 Washington
    #10 Washington St
    #11Oregon St
    #12 Arizona St

those are really sketchy on my part though

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER

I don't get the hype. 2 starters back and 1 role player from last year and they are supposed to be better this year?
    dramatically, keep digging man CU was one of the teams I actually did my research on this summer. I no you know your college hoops bud its there though.

TPowell

PAC12

#1 Arizona
    #2 UCLA
    #3 Standford
    #4 Colorado
    #5 USC
    #6 California
    #7 Oregon
    #8 UTAH
    #9 Washington
    #10 Washington St
    #11Oregon St
    #12 Arizona St

those are really sketchy on my part though

1. Cal
    1. UCLA
    3. Arizona
    4. Stanford
    5. Oregon State
    6. Washington
    7. Washington State
    8. Colorado
    9. Oregon
    10. USC
    11. Arizona State
    12. Utah

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    apparently this Hanner is supposed to be all the new rave. hard to compete with Pomeroy though.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...articleid=2426
    ok now im interested because this guys rankings are off the wall. This im gonna actually have to sit down and organize his numbers because I cant believe im saying this but Louisville is not the #10 team lmao. I dont even like VILLE and I can tell this is already skewed as fuk. Ville is top 4 no matter what.

Eh I can respect Kansas at #4 I suppose if you pushed around a lot of numbers I can see that happening

Im a Duke fan but nope not #7

Tennesee and Pittsburgh are ranked

Minnesota? I mean I guess if you tried really really hard to rank them they could get in there

TPowell

dramatically, keep digging man CU was one of the teams I actually did my research on this summer. I no you know your college hoops bud its there though.

I see they have a couple top 100 prospects which I somehow missed but they lost their starting PG from last year and the kid replacing him this year is only a sophomore which i don't like. I'm gonna say marginally better than last year at best but more than likely slightly worse

TPowell

ok now im interested because this guys rankings are off the wall. This im gonna actually have to sit down and organize his numbers because I cant believe im saying this but Louisville is not the #10 team lmao. I dont even like VILLE and I can tell this is already skewed as fuk. Ville is top 4 no matter what.

Eh I can respect Kansas at #4 I suppose if you pushed around a lot of numbers I can see that happening

Im a Duke fan but nope not #7

Tennesee and Pittsburgh are ranked

Minnesota? I mean I guess if you tried really really hard to rank them they could get in there

Minnesota is going to be solid with Mbakwe back. He is a potential first team All American IMO. I have them around a point better than Pitt and a couple better than Tenny

TPowell

our big differences seem to be USC and Oregon State. I think USC will be dramatically better than last year obviously, but I can't quantify that in my power ratings. They have the biggest upgrade from last year than any team I've done and maybe I've sold them short but hard to upgrade a team 10+ points. Oregon State should be better this year, as they return everybody except Robinson, their star last year. Robinson has been a good coach as well

ChalkyDog

My earlier post stated I felt CU is the only other team in the discussion, alongside UCLA and 'Zona.

Cal and Stanford I feel, at this point, are not better than Colorado going forward.

UCLA
    ZONA
    CU

In any order... if only you could put that in a trifecta box.

our big differences seem to be USC and Oregon State. I think USC will be dramatically better than last year obviously, but I can't quantify that in my power ratings. They have the biggest upgrade from last year than any team I've done and maybe I've sold them short but hard to upgrade a team 10+ points. Oregon State should be better this year, as they return everybody except Robinson, their star last year. Robinson has been a good coach as well
    USC will be much improved this year. Assuming Kevin O'Neil doesn't kill his players (literally) prior to conference play. I agree with that 100%. USC much improved is still middle of the Road in the PAC.

if I were to guess right now.

1/2 Arizona/UCLA
    3 Colorado
    4/5. Stanford/Cal
    6. USC
    7. Oregon
    8. Washington
    9. Oregon St.
    10. Washington St.
    11/12. Utah/ASU
    Last edited by ChalkyDog; 10-31-12 at 03:20 AM.

zoo youk

Arizona?

Lyons is fully cleared to play, is starting at point guard. Just saw the guy tear it up in the Arizona version of midnight-madness.

Maybe it's another kid?
    shit yea. i was thinking about Dez Wells to Maryland.