spaceman
    spaceman's Avatar Become A Pro!

ncaa bracket...chance for a middle...really confused

new to the forum, my apologies if you ve had tons of questions like this. here goes: i will win $948 if kentucky beats ohio st in final. i will win $395 if ohio st beats kentucky in final. all other outcomes are meaningless. i want to guarantee myself some money but also try to exploit chance for middle. i am going to bet $200 on kansas +2.5 and hope ohio st. wins but does not cover. what i am not sure about is if i should bet ohio st. plus point against kentucky if kansas does not cover against ohio st. because if kentucky then covers i would cost myself $440.....forgot to mention, only betting kansas if kentucky beats ohio st., if louisville wins, i'm doing nothing. this involves the chances of kentucky beating ohio st but not covering. assuming a spread of say 5 what % of the time kentucky win but not cover? which is the better course to take: bet ohio st plus points vs kentucky only if ohio st beats kansas without a cover.....or: bet ohio st. plus points against kentucky even if i lose first bet? hitting both middles would result in a return of $1348. losing both middles would result in return of $508. which is the better play? sorry if i'm confusing, but i don't know which is best? any help would be much appreciated.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14706

Hi spaceman and welcome!

I linked this to a couple of other subforums so you can get feedback from our experts.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

id take louisville plus the points, if kentucky wins and dont cover, then id also take kansas plus the points, then if its kentucky ohio st id reevaluate after the games.

JD426
    JD426's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3966

I would take:

-Louisville + points for $150.
    -If Louisville wins straight up, then I wouldn't do anything else because there's no longer anything to hedge against.
    -If Kentucky wins, then I would take kansas + points vs. ohio state for $150.
    -If Kansas wins, no need to do anything else cause again, nothing to hedge against
    -If OSU wins I'd probably just ride it out and hope for a Kentucky win in the final, but you could throw some on OSU if you wanted to even out the payouts.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

^^^^

good advice

i wouldn't take points, just do moneylines if you want a true hedge. the chances of ohio st winning by exactly 1 or 2 points are so puny it's better to take the +135 on the moneyline than lay -110 on +2 1/2