d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Sorry, just off the top of my head, I don't remember any "high" recruits going to illinois.

The last I could think of was Dee Brown, and I don't even know how good he was ranked outta high school. Other than that most high recruits from Chicago go to different states.

So sorry for being wrong.
    Jereme Richmond was back to back Mr. Basketball Illinois. He committed early so he wasn't "recruited", but he was a top-25 national recruit. Just ended up being a head case.

DJ Richardson was a top 50 recruit. Brandon Paul was also Mr. Basketball and was top 100. Meyers Leonard is going to be a top 15 NBA pick. Myke Henry, as afrosh last season, was also top 100. That's 5 over 3 seasons. Just didn't work out, due to or in spite of coaching.

Crandall Head was another highly-ranked recruit. Once again, didn't work out.

So it's not that they didn't get top recruits, they just ether got the wrong ones or didn't develop properly.
    Last edited by d2bets; 03-22-12 at 04:16 PM.

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    Excuse me for ignoring you on basketball when you say Derrick Rose isn't good and pine on Rubio like a former lover.
    More lies from you.

I never once said Rose wasn't good. I said he was overrated.

Regarding Rubio, the Wolves have been complete dog sh!t without him. Go figure?

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Jereme Richmond was back to back Mr. Basketball Illinois. He committed early so he wasn't "recruited", but he was a top-10 national recruit. Just ended up being a head case.

DJ Richardson was a top 50 recruit. Brandon Paul was also Mr. Basketball and was top 100. Meyers Leonard is going to be a top 15 NBA pick. That's 4 over 3 seasons. Just didn't work out, due to or in spite of coaching.
    I feel bad for Weber somewhat. He has had such bad luck with recruits. Hes gotten the most talented guys in Chicago besides the truly top 20 elite that have their hearts set on Kentucky/Duke, etc.... but the ones that have come here seem to have no basketball intelligence whatsoever.

Abrams is probably the first smart basketball player he has had since Dee Brown.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by CMNoney View Post
    More lies from you.

I never once said Rose wasn't good. I said he was overrated.

Regarding Rubio, the Wolves have been complete dog sh!t without him. Go figure?
    they were overachieving with him. As for Rose being overrated, you have nothing to back that up.

RoadDog
    I'm not negative, I'm a realist
    RoadDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I never made a guarantee that Shaka Smart would say yes to the Illini. It was 50/50 all along so how am I a moron?
    Now here's a quote from Mr. PickWinner from a previous thread.

You're crazy. Shaka Smart will take the Illinois job or he will wait a year and hope to jump in at Texas/UCLA/etc.

RoadDog

At least we can disprove that im a "moron" or "crazy"

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

kerry lies so much he cant keep track.

he once bragged he had $60,000 but a month later denied he ever said that "in his entire life."

when confronted with his own quote saying it, he changed his story again.

the guy is a pathological liar and a scammer.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

These threads are a kiss of death, Pick. Gotta change it up.

There is less than 0% chance that Illinois even contacts Buzz.

ChalkyDog

And Rose being overrated? GTFO. The kid is underrated. I can't point to another player I'd rather have on my team. The kid isn't about bullshit, and goes out there and plays. Doesn't dance, doesn't show boat, doesn't give a fukk about trade talk - just plays.

Kevin Durant is the only other player in that category.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

If you leave lake Michigan and drive any direction for an hour, you are in a place I would hate to live. Illinois is a shit hole other than Chicago.

PickWinnerAllDay

ESPN: Scott Powers

The quality of the Illinois job doesn’t change because Shaka Smart doesn’t want it.

It may not have not been the right fit for Smart, who also might be waiting for a more high-profiled position to open, but Illinois remains to be a top-15 job with or without him.

Unfortunately for Illinois, Smart and even Butler’s Brad Stevens can pass on the Illini’s offer and still end up with a better job. They’ve placed themselves into that elite pool of coaches with their success and proven charisma over the past few seasons. They will be top candidates for jobs such as Connecticut or Syracuse if they become available in the next few years.

There are only about 14 jobs which have more upside than Illinois’ opening. Illinois might sit behind Arizona, Connecticut, Duke, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Syracuse, Texas and UCLA in its value as a program, but it's ahead of many others. An argument could be made that programs such as Kansas State, Missouri and Purdue are better than Illinois, but none of them have been to a Final Four in the past 40 years.

Smart and Stevens can wait for one of those 14 premier jobs, but not many other coaches can. Most of the current coaches in those 14 programs aren’t leaving anytime soon. Schools such as Duke and Kansas don’t often have vacancies.

While it seems like Illinois put all of its eggs in one basket and Smart crushed them all with his refusal, this shouldn’t deter the Illini from still getting a qualified coach who can return them to prominence. Winning at Illinois may not be as easy as winning at North Carolina, but it should be an attractive position. The program has been to two Final Fours since 1989, won under multiple coaches and its recruiting base of Chicago and the state of Illinois produces a high level of talent.

Lou Henson won at Illinois. So did Lon Kruger, Bill Self and Bruce Weber. The next coach should be able to as well.

Just because Smart said no, it doesn’t devalue the position. The right coach can compete for a national championship at Illinois.

That should be an easy sell to the next target of Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post
    Now here's a quote from Mr. PickWinner from a previous thread.
    So to prove that I made a guarantee you posted a quote from me that actually says there is no guarantee?

RoadDog, you are proving you can't even read. Read the quote again.

''You're crazy. Shaka Smart will take the Illinois job or ''

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    These threads are a kiss of death, Pick. Gotta change it up.

There is less than 0% chance that Illinois even contacts Buzz.

ChalkyDog

Here, let me help put this in perspective.

Arizona, an obviously better job and program than Illinois, got turned down by Tim Floyd, before it got lucky as hell when Sean Miller decided to revoke his declining of the job earlier in the week, because Calipari of all people called him up and told him he would be crazy not to go there.

Seriously, Arizona was on the brink of hiring Reggie Theus - or some other low life like that.

All year, leading up to that, we had such expectations of grandeur, thinking we could land some of the best coaches in the nation, some of them from mid-majors, some of them in established major positions.

Arizona got lucky as hell.

Look at Maryland now, one of the best jobs in the nation, due to their natural recruiting ground, and facilities. I would personally put them ahead of Illinois, maybe on the same level, just because Chicago is nice too - but it is nothing like Baltimore.

The ended up with who, when they were going after who to begin with?

Illinois will be lucky to end up with anyone on their wishlist. Expect a high character guy from a mid-major. I doubt who you get is even on your radar.

The most likely scenario is you are going to grossly overpay for a average coach. Only a few people in the whole industry are worth 2.5 a year. Shaka was arguably one of them. I hope your pay goes down accordingly, but I doubt it.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

They should go after Bruce Weber. Heard he is available.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    They should go after Bruce Weber. Heard he is available.
    That wasn't even a good attempt at trolling.

RoadDog

Be true to your school. The Beach Boys would love ya.

PickWinnerAllDay

I just think there is a big lack of knowledge here.

Illinois is a better job than Marquette for a lot of reasons. If Marquette is so good, why is Buzz Williams being forced to win with 3 star recruits? Hes done a great job with the little talent he has.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Scott Powers sounds like a fan

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

How come people stopped talking about Brad Stevens? He's had more success than Shaka and is a midwestern guy. He's very white though.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Brad Stevens will be the next coach

He is twice as good as Shaka smart

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

If Illinois really lands Stevens, I wonder if he was really their target all along, but did the whole Shaka dance to appease those who preferred a black coach? I'm not a racist, just a thought here.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    If Illinois really lands Stevens, I wonder if he was really their target all along, but did the whole Shaka dance to appease those who preferred a black coach? I'm not a racist, just a thought here.
    stevens team was playing in the CIT tournament until wednesday, he was basically not available till now

ChalkyDog

hahaha, You have a better chance at Izzo than Stevens...

However, reality called, said Illinois is still going after a black coach:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5440536.story

The guy is garbage, can't recruit or coach.

Might as well get Romar, at least he can do one.

RoadDog

Reggie Theus is actually a candidate for this job. How ridiculous is that? Although, if he could coach these Hang Time kids to a state title, who knows what he can do for Illinois!

ChalkyDog

Reggie Theus is a candidate for every job, once the fanbase realizes it's job is more shit than gold. It never comes to that, thankfully for the respective fanbase, they usually end up with some mid-level overpaid high character coach.

RoadDog

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post

Reggie Theus is actually a candidate for this job. How ridiculous is that? Although, if he could coach these Hang Time kids to a state title, who knows what he can do for Illinois!
    He sure can nail his lines, though.

PickWinnerAllDay

I'm sure Stevens will consider Illinois b/c of the money involved... but sounds like another 50/50 proposition.

First 12