PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Please get Shaka Smart, Illinois... Article on ESPN says he is their top target

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story...cording-source

Since I will be spending the next 3 years in Champaign, that time will be much more exciting if Illinois can land Shaka Smart... he out coached Crean badly and honestly, his defensive philosophy would be a real problem for most elite Big 10 programs (Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio State, etc.)

Get it done... overpay him, do whatever you got to do, this guy scored a perfect score on his SAT and seems to step up his coaching in big games. Something Illinois has been missing for a while.

Players love him and he'll be able to recruit the hell out of college basketball's biggest and best recruiting market - Chicago.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21617

I'd be shakad if he's not an Illini.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    I'd be shakad if he's not an Illini.
    Ties to Chicago, ties to Illinois' new AD, access to the Chicago market that produces 8-10 top 100 players every year... He'd be a fool to not consider it, and he'd be a fool to turn it down if Illinois throws acceptable cash at him.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

He's from the area and his wife went to Northwestern.

I;m sure he'll miss leaving something he's built up, but that's the name of the game - time to move on. Big 10 is the premier conference in the country,

PickWinnerAllDay

He's from the area and his wife went to Northwestern.

I;m sure he'll miss leaving something he's built up, but that's the name of the game - time to move on. Big 10 is the premier conference in the country,
    And hell, if he succeeds in Illinois, in 3-5 years he'll be somewhere like Kansas or Kentucky so that is what he should be thinking and I'm okay with that. Illinois would just have to be smart and not hire an asshat like Weber once Shaka gets the program back up.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

did u not read my thread?

that is a dumb move

he would get eaten alive in that conference. and with no team/players to inherit he'd be even worse

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Real Illini fans want Sergio's Dad as the coach... Been an Illini fan since 77, we are ILLINOIS!

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

Good ol Wayne McClain. Know him very well from Sergs manual days

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    Real Illini fans want Sergio's Dad as the coach... Been an Illini fan since 77, we are ILLINOIS!
    NOOO, Shaka.

flyingillini

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    NOOO, Shaka.
    Wayne McClain has more pull than Shaka would ever dream of having. Wayne is a legend.... him and Jimmy Collins.

flyingillini

Quote Originally Posted by Iwinyourmoney View Post
    Good ol Wayne McClain. Know him very well from Sergs manual days
    Peoria ran Illinois for many years.... Wayne McClain should of gotten the job before Bruce Weber...

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Shaka would win the press conference, that is for certain. Probably a good hire for Illini. They're openly looking for a black coach - so Shaka or Romar.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    I'm a real Illinois fan, and grad, and I want Shaka.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Source: Illinois determined to land Shaka Smart as next coach

Updated: March 19, 2012 6:40PM

Convinced he needs to get Shaka Smart, Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas is making a no-holds-barred run at the Virginia Commonwealth coach, a source close to the negotiations said Monday.
    Smart has shown solid interest, and money will not be a stumbling block, said the source, who has talked to two people involved in the talks.

``They’re going to make damn sure they don’t let him get away,’’ the source said.
    However, another source close to the Smart camp said this is far from a done deal. Smart, who wasn’t interested in other BCS-conference jobs at N.C. State and Maryland a year ago, intends to consider his situation carefully.

With all but one of his top players returning next season, he’s under no pressure to leave VCU and Richmond, a city that he and his wife adore.
    ``He wants to make sure he doesn’t pull a Dan Monson,’’ said the source, referring to the successful Gonzaga coach who floundered at Minnesota. ``He doesn’t want to take a big-name job and wind up saying, `What did I do here?’ He can be probably gotten, but he’s going to need to be convinced.’’

One big issue is getting a handle on Chicago recruiting. While there are many talented players there, it’s complicated recruiting turf because of players’ entourages, academic realities and its tradition of being an open city that’s recruited by schools near and far.

Smart wants to make sure he assesses that situation carefully, the source said, rather than simply accept the view that Chicago makes Illinois a sleeping giant. As the nation’s hottest up-and-coming coach, Smart, who will be 35 on April 8, can afford to be circumspect. And as a candidate who addresses concerns that Illinois has never had a minority head coach in men’s basketball or football, he’s even more attractive.

Even though Thomas made a serious run at Houston coach Kevin Sumlin, who wound up going to Texas A&M, two of the school’s trustees declined to sign off on new football coach Tim Beckman’s contract. Many Illinois alums of all backgrounds have voiced their interest in leaving Purdue and Nebraska as the only Big Ten schools that have not had a minority head coach in football or men’s basketball.

After taking VCU from the First Four to the Final Four a year ago, Smart signed an eight-year contract last spring worth about $1.21 million a year. The buyout on that deal would be $800,000 this year for Smart, who took 12th seeded VCU to 29 wins and the round of 32 this year despite losing four starters.

The buyout would not pose a problem for Thomas, who has taken on more than $7 million in buyouts for departed coach Ron Zook, Jolette Law and Bruce Weber since being hired at Illinois last August.
    The buyouts are covered by the athletic department’s budget, with no state funds and no individual booster contributions involved. For Thomas, who’s embarking on an Assembly Hall renovation, it’s a business decision as much as anything else.

``I think Shaka is very pleased with where the contract is right now,’’ VCU athletic director Norwood Teague told the Richmond Times-Dispatch in its Sunday editions. ``We’ll talk at the end of the year if anything needs to be changed.’’ It wouldn’t be surprising, though, if Illinois offered Smart a multi-year deal worth $2.5 million, a number that would force him to give Illinois serious thought.

Smart, who was an assistant at Akron when Thomas as the Zips’ athletic director, would be an attractive candidate at any number of jobs, but Illinois is regarded as the best coaching position that’s currently open. It’s believed that Northwestern would be interested in Smart if its job became open.

One question is Smart thoughts about Illinois being a program where a coach can have sustained success at the highest level. Several national media have said Illinois is among the nation’s top 10 programs.
    Smart, a native of Oregon, Wis., a small town near Madison, also would be returning to his Midwestern roots. His wife, writer Maya Payne, earned a master’s in journalism at Northwestern. Their first child, daughter Zora, was born last September.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/11396...-get-away.html

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Depaul is not any good and it's IN Chicago. Champaign will get you a better chance at some prime ass on a cold night, but the city of Champaign doesn't guarantee Shaka any good players.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Would be interesting for him to bring his brand of basketball to the Big 10. Would bring excitement to a mostly half court dominated league.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Would be interesting for him to bring his brand of basketball to the Big 10. Would bring excitement to a mostly half court dominated league.
    He could be the basketball version of joe tiller. Changes the whole conference.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

He will be the next Illinois coach for sure

Monter
    Monter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 28

If I were Shaka I would wait for a better opportunity than Illinois. Him, Mark Few and that dude at Butler pretty much have a golden ticket to anywhere they choose. While the Big Ten and Illinois are obviously a huge step up from VCU, those three named above can wait for a better opportunity than Illinois. And I know I will get flamed but Illinois fans (which I am one of) need to wake up and realize that these top talent prospects out of Chicago simply do not want to go to Illinois. And no, its not just because of Bruce Weber that they don't want to go. They haven't wanted/gone there for 20+ years. These Chicago-land prospects not only blow off Illinois for NC, Duke, Michigan State and Kentucky, they also blow Illinois off for Memphis which isn't even a top conference school.

While Shaka may come for other reasons (wife, ties, etc) the notion that he is coming because Illinois is a top of the line job is just untrue. I hate to admit it but Illinois, at best, is merely a stepping stone to a better program...see Bill Self. That being said, if he does come he inherits a horrible team with limited chance of actually being able to recruit top tier talent. I hope Shaka comes. But analyzing the choice on a pure program basis, I think he should wait for a better opportunity.
    Last edited by Monter; 03-20-12 at 11:29 AM.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Monter View Post
    If I were Shaka I would wait for a better opportunity than Illinois. Him, Mark Few and that dude at Butler pretty much have a golden ticket to anywhere they choose. While the Big Ten and Illinois are obviously a huge step up from VCU, those three named above can wait for a better opportunity than Illinois. And I know I will get flamed but Illinois fans (which I am one of) need to wake up and realize that these top talent prospects out of Chicago simply do not want to go to Illinois. And no, its not just because of Bruce Weber that they don't want to go. They haven't wanted/gone there for 20+ years. These Chicago-land prospects not only blow off Illinois for NC, Duke, Michigan State and Kentucky, they also blow Illinois off for Memphis which isn't even a top conference school.

While Shaka may come for other reasons (wife, ties, etc) the notion that he is coming because Illinois is a top of the line job is just untrue. I hate to admit it but Illinois, at best, is merely a stepping stone to a better program...see Bill Self. That being said, if he does come he inherits a horrible team with limited chance of actually being able to recruit top tier talent. I hope Shaka comes. But analyzing the choice on a pure program basis, I think he should wait for a better opportunity.
    Be more specific....what opportunity? I have to disagree. He's a natural fit for this, even if it maybe is a stepping stone. He gets to go to what has become the top conference in the country. For a school that's been one of the elite in that conference many times before. Has a pipeline ready to be tapped that is among the best in the country. They haven't gone there for 20 years? So what. They can easily come back. Won't take much. All that and he has strong midwestern ties. Can leverage pretty much whatever deal he wants. If career advancement is his goal, it's hard to see how he passes here. Only way he passes is if he loves VCU that much and want to commit to a much longer run there rather than ascend to the top of the coaching ranks. The jobs you want him to wait for -- I guess Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina (anything else) -- he just can't count on them just being there and available.

Monter

Be more specific....what opportunity? I have to disagree. He's a natural fit for this, even if it maybe is a stepping stone. He gets to go to what has become the top conference in the country. For a school that's been one of the elite in that conference many times before. Has a pipeline ready to be tapped that is among the best in the country. They haven't gone there for 20 years? So what. They can easily come back. Won't take much. All that and he has strong midwestern ties. Can leverage pretty much whatever deal he wants. If career advancement is his goal, it's hard to see how he passes here. Only way he passes is if he loves VCU that much and want to commit to a much longer run there rather than ascend to the top of the coaching ranks. The jobs you want him to wait for -- I guess Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina (anything else) -- he just can't count on them just being there and available.
    You dream brother. To simply assume they will "come back" is beyond naive. The notion that I have to have a specific school he should choose over Illinois to establish my point is short-sited. He has it made at VCU now. His name, along with Few and the Butler coach, is established. Thus, they don't need to use Illinois as a stepping-stone. He is on record as saying he is happy at VCU. He has built a perennial conference contender and bracketbuster. And I'm sure VCU would float him more cash to keep him.

My point is he can afford to wait for a better opportunity. Its short-sited to say Illinois is the best job out there at this time so he has to jump. He is fighting a huge uphill battle if he takes the Illinois job. That was the entire purpose of my post. Illinois has systematic problems that a coach alone will not solve. Indiana, Michigan State, Wisconsin, even Ohio State for that matter, are the pedigree of the BIG Ten. Illinois has and always will be the ugly red-headed step child. Yes, occasionally they will put a team together and win the conference...just like Stanford occasionally wins the Pac-12. But the fact is that top-tier recruits have and will in the future always flock to those schools before Illinois. And thats just looking at the competing BIG Ten schools. Illinois loses recruits to area schools such as Marquette, Memphis and even DePaul to a lesser extent. Then factor in Duke, NC, and Kentucky. All I am saying is that Illinois is not the plum job that everyone seems to believe it is. If you are happy were you are at and you don't need the stepping stone, Illinois serves no purpose...other than personal (wife, ties, etc). You can wait for another institution that does not have the systematic problems Illinois has. That was the sole point of my above post.

ChalkyDog

Shaka turns down job offer, says he wants to stay at VCU

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Where has he said that? I see rumors, but I don't see any such quote from him or confirmation from Illinois.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    where are you seeing that?!

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

shaka could do better...

I wouldn't take it... hold out for the UCLA job next year after howland get's the hook...

Monter

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    shaka could do better...

I wouldn't take it... hold out for the UCLA job next year after howland get's the hook...
    totally agree.

PickWinnerAllDay

Illinois has 2-3 NBA prospects and a bunch of top 100 recruits mixed in right now. Your analysis is not very good. Talent wise, Illinois is a top 20 team in college basketball right now.

PickWinnerAllDay

You dream brother. To simply assume they will "come back" is beyond naive. The notion that I have to have a specific school he should choose over Illinois to establish my point is short-sited. He has it made at VCU now. His name, along with Few and the Butler coach, is established. Thus, they don't need to use Illinois as a stepping-stone. He is on record as saying he is happy at VCU. He has built a perennial conference contender and bracketbuster. And I'm sure VCU would float him more cash to keep him.

My point is he can afford to wait for a better opportunity. Its short-sited to say Illinois is the best job out there at this time so he has to jump. He is fighting a huge uphill battle if he takes the Illinois job. That was the entire purpose of my post. Illinois has systematic problems that a coach alone will not solve. Indiana, Michigan State, Wisconsin, even Ohio State for that matter, are the pedigree of the BIG Ten. Illinois has and always will be the ugly red-headed step child. Yes, occasionally they will put a team together and win the conference...just like Stanford occasionally wins the Pac-12. But the fact is that top-tier recruits have and will in the future always flock to those schools before Illinois. And thats just looking at the competing BIG Ten schools. Illinois loses recruits to area schools such as Marquette, Memphis and even DePaul to a lesser extent. Then factor in Duke, NC, and Kentucky. All I am saying is that Illinois is not the plum job that everyone seems to believe it is. If you are happy were you are at and you don't need the stepping stone, Illinois serves no purpose...other than personal (wife, ties, etc). You can wait for another institution that does not have the systematic problems Illinois has. That was the sole point of my above post.
    LOL... you don't know anything about Illinois basketball history. It is a top 6 program historically and a top 6 program in the last decade by the numbers.

PickWinnerAllDay

So many basketball ignorant fans in this thread... actually saw someone somewhere say Marquette is a better job than Illinois... The problem is, people are rating programs based on the quality of the team currently. That isn't what a coach considers... they consider facilities, history, market, $$$, and arena. Assembly Hall is a top 10 venue in the country.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

LOL... you don't know anything about Illinois basketball history. It is a top 6 program historically and a top 6 program in the last decade by the numbers.
    Top 6?

really bro?

Kentucky
    Louisville
    UNC
    DUke
    Arizona
    UCLA
    Mich St
    Cuse
    Pitt
    Indiana
    MArq
    Georgetown
    UCONN
    Kansas

all ahead of Illinois...

They are solid top 20, probably around 15....

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Is michael Orris still going to come?

PickWinnerAllDay

Top 6?

really bro?

Kentucky
    Louisville
    UNC
    DUke
    Arizona
    UCLA
    Mich St
    Cuse
    Pitt
    Indiana
    MArq
    Georgetown
    UCONN
    Kansas

all ahead of Illinois...

The fact you put UCONN above Illinois says a lot about your mindset. You're focusing WAY too much on the last 5 years. Do a little research. By the numbers, Illinois is a top 10 program historically. Can't really dispute that. They may be trending down, but that isn't really something that can be accurately predicted.

ChalkyDog

Top 6?

really bro?

Kentucky
    Louisville
    UNC
    DUke
    Arizona
    UCLA
    Mich St
    Cuse
    Pitt
    Indiana
    MArq
    Georgetown
    UCONN
    Kansas

all ahead of Illinois...

That's a legit list.

Top programs are based on success at an elite level + revenue generated.

Some of the lists I have seen have Illinois around 15.

14 by NBC
    24 by bleacher report <--- retarded
    6 by Sagarin <--- strange rankings there
    13 by Forbes
    Illini doesn't crack top 25 as far as success of past players in the program based on money earned. (UNC 1, Duke 2, Arizona 3).

Illini is a good program, top 10 they are not. I think Shaka might be holding out for an elite school, like UCLA. The same way it is rumored Brad Stevens is waiting for Duke.

ChalkyDog

The fact you put UCONN above Illinois says a lot about your mindset. You're focusing WAY too much on the last 5 years. Do a little research. By the numbers, Illinois is a top 10 program historically. Can't really dispute that. They may be trending down, but that isn't really something that can be accurately predicted.
    That list cannot be in order, because it lists Kansas last. Kansas is a top 6 program. (UNC/Duke/UCLA/UK/KU/IU = blue bloods)

PickWinnerAllDay

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf

Illinois - 6th
    Uconn - 54th

Jumping someone 48 spots based on recent history...?

1234 Last