PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

This game isn't until Thursday... so talk me out of it before then please...

Illinois -2 against Iowa on Thursday. I'm guessing the line here, but that sounds about right.

There are lots of reasons that I love Illinois -2 here, and I'm hoping none of them are my homerism because honestly, I've given up on this team. As a fan, if Illinois lost that is fine because hell, the season is over for them anyway and Weber's career is over.

But for this game, I don't see Illinois losing. Illinois has beaten Iowa 7 straight times I believe and that is in their minds. Hell, with Illinois playing their worst basketball in a couple of decades, they still pounded Iowa the other night and the score wasn't as close as the game indicated sadly enough.

I'll give credit where credit is due for Weber, his teams have played pretty well in the Big Ten Tournament. 2 years ago with Illinois on the bubble they won in the first round and then almost took down Ohio State in double OT. Back in 2007, Illinois limped into the BTT at 13-18 and won 3 straight to get to the championship game...

Another key here is that it will be Leonard's last chance to impress scouts because I think with the coaching turnover he is probably going to leave early. Definitely going to be a ton of pro scouts in Indianapolis to see Sullinger, Leonard, etc. Iowa really doesn't have anyone who can guard him.

Am I crazy? Someone talk me out of this wager.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

You are the most biased homer on the site. Is that enough to talk you out of this?

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

You talk about a lot of stuff that does not matter. If oddsmakers are not using it to determine point spreads, then it is irrelevant.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    You are the most biased homer on the site. Is that enough to talk you out of this?
    That isn't true. I've bet against Illinois more this year than on them. I've also never bet on a Cubs ML in my life.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    You talk about a lot of stuff that does not matter. If oddsmakers are not using it to determine point spreads, then it is irrelevant.
    Well, just looking at the game from a basketball stand point, Iowa's players look like the middle school JV when trying to guard Leonard. If Illinois gets him the ball, it shouldn't be close. Whether Bruce can game plan decently enough to do that....

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

does not matter

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    does not matter
    Thanks for the brilliant insight.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Look into revenge, as it is late in the season, rebounds, and turnovers. Thats where you start.

compare the stats of the teams, and you have a foundation. All this talk of gameplans, player v player matchups is nonsense.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!

i don't know about that game. I would take the under i think in that one.

my favorite game on the board Thursday is Purdue -9.5 vs Nebraska . I feel really strong about Purdue kicking their ass

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not a Purdue homer btw. Ohio State is my team and I follow the Big 10 closely.

I think Purdue and Indiana are both going to be tough outs in this tournament especially since the games are played in Indiana

iceaxe56
    iceaxe56's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 469

you have to have money in the bank before you cash a check--illinois is bankrupt

reality ron
    reality ron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 366

Logic says Illinois wins but their players have packed it in for the season. Watching them the last 2 games- they don't hustle and don't defend very well.
    Iowa will play harder but they aren't very good and are wildly inconsistant shooting the three.
    Purdue is a better play.

Dom177
    Dom177's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1210

Who cares if they almost beat OSU in double OT or limped into the finals in 2007, its kind of irrelevant. Also, Leonard is one of the biggest pussies in the Big 10. He's the only 7'1 monster that is soft down low. Please don't bet on them if you're a homer. Bet against so if they win you're happy, if they lose then you made money.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Quote Originally Posted by Dom177 View Post
    Who cares if they almost beat OSU in double OT or limped into the finals in 2007, its kind of irrelevant. Also, Leonard is one of the biggest pussies in the Big 10. He's the only 7'1 monster that is soft down low. Please don't bet on them if you're a homer. Bet against so if they win you're happy, if they lose then you made money.
    Ralph Sampson is worse.

CoachemUp
    CoachemUp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

PickAWinner: I'm an Illinois fan too, but I really think this team has thrown in the towel. You say all they have to do is throw the ball into Leonard, but that's all they've had to do ALL YEAR!!! And they haven't.
    Brandon Paul is maybe the most inconsistent player I've seen, which says a lot considering this school has had Brian Randle, Brian Cook, Demetri McCamey as players to just name a few.

Bottom Line: Sure it's possible Illinois can cover, but Iowa is playing pretty good ball and very capable of beating Illinois. The Illinois win last week had more to do with a must win, home court, and hot shooting than anything else. Feel free to bet on Illinois, but this shouldn't be more than a 1 unit play. And it's not worth flying out to Vegas to throw $5k on

I'll probably put a small play on Iowa, because I think McCaffrey can really coach and I like some of the athletes Iowa has.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Just save up your cash for Indiana vs. Wisconsin on Friday. The line should be pretty close and no way this unathletic Wisconsin team beats IU in Indy. Illinois....no way. Better talent but the other guys will play for 40 minutes and Illinois prob won't.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by CoachemUp View Post
    PickAWinner: I'm an Illinois fan too, but I really think this team has thrown in the towel. You say all they have to do is throw the ball into Leonard, but that's all they've had to do ALL YEAR!!! And they haven't.
    Brandon Paul is maybe the most inconsistent player I've seen, which says a lot considering this school has had Brian Randle, Brian Cook, Demetri McCamey as players to just name a few.

Bottom Line: Sure it's possible Illinois can cover, but Iowa is playing pretty good ball and very capable of beating Illinois. The Illinois win last week had more to do with a must win, home court, and hot shooting than anything else. Feel free to bet on Illinois, but this shouldn't be more than a 1 unit play. And it's not worth flying out to Vegas to throw $5k on

I'll probably put a small play on Iowa, because I think McCaffrey can really coach and I like some of the athletes Iowa has.
    You may have talked me out of it slightly. Illinois turned it over 19 times in that blowout win over Iowa, so it isn't like they played well....

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Northwestern takes down Minnesota as well. The Wildcats are shooting for their 1st ever bid to the big dance and Minnesota just dropped 6 in a row....beating Nebraska doesn't mean anything. NW has scorers in this one and Minnesota doesn't...bottom line.

CoachemUp

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    You may have talked me out of it slightly. Illinois turned it over 19 times in that blowout win over Iowa, so it isn't like they played well....
    I will tell you this: Iowa will out hustle Illinois 100 times out of 100. I know it was under Alford, but they've had some tourney magic over the years. Granted the winner of this one gets the rights to lose to State by 15, but Iowa can shoot the 3. You never know come March!

PickWinnerAllDay

I will tell you this: Iowa will out hustle Illinois 100 times out of 100. I know it was under Alford, but they've had some tourney magic over the years. Granted the winner of this one gets the rights to lose to State by 15, but Iowa can shoot the 3. You never know come March!
    Out hustling is fine but Iowa has worse turnover problems than Illinois at times.

To win, Iowa needs to force more turnovers than Illinois does, that is for sure. Illinois is going to have easy baskets with Leonard, it is just a question of how many times we can get the ball into him.

Another thing that really stands out is that Gatens was 5-6 from 3 against Illinois and Iowa still lost by double digits.

CoachemUp

Out hustling is fine but Iowa has worse turnover problems than Illinois at times.

To win, Iowa needs to force more turnovers than Illinois does, that is for sure. Illinois is going to have easy baskets with Leonard, it is just a question of how many times we can get the ball into him.

Another thing that really stands out is that Gatens was 5-6 from 3 against Illinois and Iowa still lost by double digits.
    Again, Pick let's be rational about it here. We both know how ridiculously inconsistent U of I is. Lock a unit into the play, but doing anything beyond that is not good bankroll management. When you bet big, bet on something that's a known quantity, bet on a good team. Don't bet a lot on Illinois. I've already gotten burned by it this year, don't let it happen to you.

PickWinnerAllDay

Again, Pick let's be rational about it here. We both know how ridiculously inconsistent U of I is. Lock a unit into the play, but doing anything beyond that is not good bankroll management. When you bet big, bet on something that's a known quantity, bet on a good team. Don't bet a lot on Illinois. I've already gotten burned by it this year, don't let it happen to you.
    Ha, I've never claimed to have good bankroll management. To be honest, I am a hit and run type gambler. My style is to put $2000 on a book and it'll either be completely gone or at $10K in a week. It has worked for me honestly because I have a cash out point and if the book slow pays me, I bet with another book to stay disciplined to my cash out point. Not sure if it is sustainable over years, but over the last year, it has worked pretty well. I'll do some thinking on this game. Still can't see Iowa winning though.

Mr. Doughnut
    Mr. Doughnut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1778

That isn't true. I've bet against Illinois more this year than on them. I've also never bet on a Cubs ML in my life.
    So your biased and not a real fan?

if you're a homer that's one thing (everyone is to an extent) but you bet against your own team? If you don't like the line for you team then lay off. Geesh. I could never live with myself rooting against my team.

But back to the original question, I kind of like the Illini in this spot if that team didn't have so many issues. Iowa has much better chemistry right now and Gatens is rolling. So no, I don't see any value in Illinois.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doughnut View Post
    So your biased and not a real fan?

if you're a homer that's one thing (everyone is to an extent) but you bet against your own team? If you don't like the line for you team then lay off. Geesh. I could never live with myself rooting against my team.

But back to the original question, I kind of like the Illini in this spot if that team didn't have so many issues. Iowa has much better chemistry right now and Gatens is rolling. So no, I don't see any value in Illinois.
    You can be a real fan and bet against your team. You can still root for them to win, you don't have to ignore the fact that they aren't good at the moment.

Finch Dinero
    Finch Dinero's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kerry...as a fellow Chicago/Illinois team homer, stay the hell away from this game.

Mr. Doughnut
    Mr. Doughnut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1778

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Dinero View Post
    Kerry...as a fellow Chicago/Illinois team homer, stay the hell away from this game.
    Agreed. I know we've had our spats, but I don't want to see you lose ALL of your money.

Nonetheless, best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

guy give it up, I'm a Louisville fan, I've given them up.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Of course this loser lost on this bet. Fukking homer.