dustcakes
    dustcakes's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ivy League 8pt teasers

I'm a teenager who's recently gotten into sports gambling, I totally love it (and have gotten pretty good at it, after a VERY rough start, I recovered and have nearly doubled my original money so far ) because of all the reasoning and probability and risk analysis that goes into it, so I try to come up with as many ways as possible to gamble without dealing with the book's spreads, since I HATE betting straight spreads, unless I'm betting on a game with a heavy tempo-control game such as one involving Wisconsin or Virginia that is easy to predict.

Anyway, I discovered that my site offers 8 point 3 team teasers at -130 a couple days ago, and promptly pre'd in my pants. As long as you're disciplined, I really don't see how these could be a long term loser, since 8 point teasers pretty much give you circus spreads that will easily cover. I tried one out yesterday with a very small wager and it hit insanely easy. But I logged on today and remembered that it was Ivy Friday and had a revelation: holy crap 8 points make an unbelievable difference in Ivy games, because all the teams are roughly equally talented and slow tempo. Both huge blowouts and upsets are somewhat rare in the league, making them easy teaser material. So, I made a hypothetical 8 point 3 team Ivy teaser: Harvard PICK, Cornell Pick, and Brown +21.5. All 3 easily covered, except Harvard although they still won by 7 (I ended up making a related 4 team ML parlay that also hit).

I really want to try this for the 2nd batch of Ivy games tomorrow, does anyone have any experience with this who can give me advice as to whether this is really a solid betting strategy?

drfunkmaster
    printing it
    drfunkmaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1065

welcome to sbr!!!

lite1up
    UTEP +18
    lite1up's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Teasers are about the squarest play in the books.

Take it from a 27 year old who got into this as a teenager. From 18-22 I got absolutely BURIED with the same kind of logic you're using. Laying -130 on these teasers will kill you in the long run. I know it seems easy but it's not.

Picking your spots selectively with straight spreads and sprinkling in a few dogs on the money line is about the only way to stay in the game but it requires discipline. I do this, and for my action fix I fade a few particularly lousy cappers posted up in the Service Plays forum.

Trust me, I lost thousands on teasers & heavy money line favorites while in college 8 years ago.

JMUplayer
    Update your status
    JMUplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21752

Teasers should be done for fun at 1/4 unit or 1/2 unit of a bankroll just for giggles.....

lite1up
    UTEP +18

Quote Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post
    Teasers should be done for fun at 1/4 unit or 1/2 unit of a bankroll just for giggles.....
    Agreed, although I prefer ridiculous parlays to this end. Better odds than a lottery ticket

dustcakes
    dustcakes's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm aware that teasers are considered the worst bet (and I absolutely agree on the smaller 4-5 point teasers), but look at this 8 pt teaser that I have lined up:
    Pittsburgh +14 at UConn
    West Virginia +10.5 at South Florida
    KU -3.5 vs. Texas.

I mean come on.

lite1up
    UTEP +18

Looks solid, I think you're better off teasing Texas up to +19.5 though.

Dom177
    Dom177's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1210

Quote Originally Posted by lite1up View Post
    Looks solid, I think you're better off teasing Texas up to +19.5 though.

Enjoy the run while it lasts, my run was earlier this season with them. All it takes is a few games to lose by a point or half a point and then tilting and betting to recoup your losses comes into play