d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21653

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post
    Shaka Smart is not going to coach Illinois. I'd be willing to bet some points on that haha
    Assuming Weber is fired, I would bet that he would be interviewed. He may not get the job. A lot of people are making the assumption that Illinois would jump at him and only him. Who knows. Illinois might take go the route of taking Simeon's coach is it means keeping their current recruits and getting guys like Parker and Nunn. Seems a bit unconventional, but I say, why not. There is a lot that goes into these things. If a guy like Jabari Parker sends signals that he will go with a certain coach, they'll probably go get that coach.

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

He'll be at VCU for the next 8 years just like Brad Stevens will be at Butler for the next 10 years. Dont forget NC State made Smart a better offer in the offseason and Smart chose to stay at VCU.
    You're crazy. Shaka Smart will take the Illinois job or he will wait a year and hope to jump in at Texas/UCLA/etc.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

He'll be at VCU for the next 8 years just like Brad Stevens will be at Butler for the next 10 years. Dont forget NC State made Smart a better offer in the offseason and Smart chose to stay at VCU.
    You might be right. If he wants to stay at VCU, he'll stay at VCU. There's something to be said for building something thats yours. I wouldn't blame him. But it would be because he loves what he's building at VCU, not because Illinois is a bad mid-major.

RoadDog
    I'm not negative, I'm a realist
    RoadDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I said it earlier, if you're willing to bet on that, I'm here.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    You might be right. If he wants to stay at VCU, he'll stay at VCU. There's something to be said for building something thats yours. I wouldn't blame him. But it would be because he loves what he's building at VCU, not because Illinois is a bad mid-major.
    This guy thinks Illinois has no chance at Shaka Smart b/c the powerhouse NC State Wolfpack offered and he declined.

Why wouldn't Shaka Smart want to go to the 4th best program in North Carolina? LOL

RoadDog

Illinois has no shot at Smart because he's not leaving VCU. He said it. He turned down jobs last year. He wants to build a program on his own. And the 4th best program in NC is in a hell of a lot better shape than Illinois.

RoadDog

You're being very defensive because you want so badly for Shaka to come to Illinois. Look at you. You're so boiled up right now you even made him your avatar. How adorable. But seriously, he's not coming lol.

PickWinnerAllDay

Illinois has no shot at Smart because he's not leaving VCU. He said it. He turned down jobs last year. He wants to build a program on his own. And the 4th best program in NC is in a hell of a lot better shape than Illinois.
    No. Just no. We shouldn't have even began this argument after you declared Illinois a 'bad mid major' program. I bet you didn't even click on the Sagarin historical link I gave you. I shouldn't argue with clueless people who want to remain clueless.

PickWinnerAllDay

You're being very defensive because you want so badly for Shaka to come to Illinois. Look at you. You're so boiled up right now you even made him your avatar. How adorable. But seriously, he's not coming lol.
    I would bet massive amounts of money that you lose lots of money betting on college basketball because you know very little about it...

RoadDog

I'm not clueless. I live in Illinois. I know everything about the program. And I know there is zero chance Shake Smart goes there. And like I said already twice, if you're so sure about it, make a bet.

RoadDog

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    I would bet massive amounts of money that you lose lots of money betting on college basketball because you know very little about it...
    If you ever went into the college bball betting forum you'd know that to be very untrue. So it looks as if you are the one assuming. Worst type of arguments.

PickWinnerAllDay

I'm not clueless. I live in Illinois. I know everything about the program. And I know there is zero chance Shake Smart goes there. And like I said already twice, if you're so sure about it, make a bet.
    So a program that is historically in the top 6, and in the top 6 for this millenium as well, you declare a bad mid major program?

You're cementing yourself as dumbest poster on SBR, just so you know.

RoadDog

When you cant recruit from your state and you DEFINITELY cant recruit from other states, you are not a top 6 program. You are the one who is a fool to think Illinois is the same school they were 10 yrs ago.

PickWinnerAllDay

When you cant recruit from your state and you DEFINITELY cant recruit from other states, you are not a top 6 program. You are the one who is a fool to think Illinois is the same school they were 10 yrs ago.
    I'm going to go ahead and END the argument once again because you fail to actually answer arguments. Illinois has a top 25 recruiting class the last 3 years. How is that 'not recruiting your home state?'

I'd love to be able to discuss this topic with someone who isn't a complete idiot so please just leave the thread.

RoadDog

Illinois is a big time job for a coach trying to make a name for himself, not for a coach who already has. The days of getting a well-established diamond-in-the-rough coach are over.

PickWinnerAllDay

Illinois is a big time job for a coach trying to make a name for himself, not for a coach who already has. The days of getting a well-established diamond-in-the-rough coach are over.

So a guy who started coaching at the D1 level in 2009 is already well established because of one cinderella run?

RoadDog

Obviously after getting an 8 year extension, people smarter than us believe so.

PickWinnerAllDay

RoadDog

The guy you just put down is the guy you want to be the savior of Illinois. Nothing more needs to be said except that if you're so sure Shaka Smart will end up at Illinois lets put a little wager on it.

PickWinnerAllDay

The guy you just put down is the guy you want to be the savior of Illinois. Nothing more needs to be said except that if you're so sure Shaka Smart will end up at Illinois lets put a little wager on it.
    Illinois doesn't even have a coaching vacancy yet so it is a stupid bet at this point on either side. That being said, I think I have pointed out you don't belong in this thread so please leave it alone so decent discussion is possible.

RoadDog

This was decent discussion. But decent discussion for people like you is when others agree with you. When people like you face some opposition you get defensive. You dont want discussion, you want agreement. Peace out, bet's still on the table.

PickWinnerAllDay

Decent discussions occur when people are reasonable.

By you suggesting Illinois is a bad mid major, you aren't being reasonable.

It'd be like if I said Illinois was a better program than Kentucky, UCLA, Duke, and North Carolina put together. You wouldn't want to continue it either.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

cronin was married to a black women. he has a child from her. ( allegedly she got caught doing the nasty with the strength coach ). He and mike thomas are best friends. HE IS YOUR NEW COACH!

RoadDog

They will not get an elite coach. It is not a desirable job anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    Good conference
    Good arena
    Great recruiting possibilities

You're talking out of your ass.
    No I wasnt!
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colle...ing-offer.html

PickWinnerAllDay

LOL... so that proves they aren't getting an elite coach? Wait until they throw 2.5 million per year at Buzz Williams.

RoadDog

Read the whole thread. You vehemently defended that fact that Illinois was going to get Smart and I told you you were wrong, then you told me i was just talking out of my ass. I know you're an Illini homer, but you really need to re-assess the program. It's fallen off.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Assuming Weber is fired, I would bet that he would be interviewed. He may not get the job. A lot of people are making the assumption that Illinois would jump at him and only him. Who knows. Illinois might take go the route of taking Simeon's coach is it means keeping their current recruits and getting guys like Parker and Nunn. Seems a bit unconventional, but I say, why not. There is a lot that goes into these things. If a guy like Jabari Parker sends signals that he will go with a certain coach, they'll probably go get that coach.
    Illinois didn't get Parker, but they did get Kendrick Nunn. Huge signing. Very exciting player. #2 in the state behind his teammate Parker and one of the best shooting guards in the country. Perfect at the 2 for Groce's uptempo game and he plays D too. Illinois will struggle this upcoming year but they should turn the corner quickly after that.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Illinois didn't get Parker, but they did get Kendrick Nunn. Huge signing. Very exciting player. #2 in the state behind his teammate Parker and one of the best shooting guards in the country. Perfect at the 2 for Groce's uptempo game and he plays D too. Illinois will struggle this upcoming year but they should turn the corner quickly after that.
    getting demetrious jackson too

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    getting demetrious jackson too
    I was going to post about that. I don't think he's committed (has he?), but if he does, I think he and Nunn can be one of if not the best backcourt in the nation for 2-3 years. Very entertaining players too, a little undersized, but perfect what Groce wants to do.

Mr. Doughnut
    Mr. Doughnut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1778

Still going to be tough for Illinois to crack the top 3 in the B1G anytime soon. The league is absolutely stacked.

First 12