LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by marcusmv3 View Post
    Whoever said Louisville is wrong, they play in the Big East, ergo they are not a mid-major. Temple is a team to watch, they destroyed Xavier last night, SLU also good but prone to really bad shooting and being sloppy. After Temple A10 is very balanced so it's hard to predict who else might make a run but UMass, St. Joe's, SLU, and La Salle are all possibilities.
    Saint Louis just beat St. Joe's and La Salle back-to-back on the road and they are ranked 10th in the COUNTRY by Pomeroy, so I'd say Billikens are safe for an at large bid even if they don't win A-10 tourney. They also have the best overall record of any A-10 team at 20-5, so I wouldn't worry that much about the loss at Mass. Besides, Minutemen haven't been that good on the road, so they have more to worry about than SLU does.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post

Butler won't make NCAAs this year unless they win Horizon tourney.
    They will win that tourney, you know better...

Whoever said Louisville is wrong, they play in the Big East, ergo they are not a mid-major. Temple is a team to watch, they destroyed Xavier last night, SLU also good but prone to really bad shooting and being sloppy. After Temple A10 is very balanced so it's hard to predict who else might make a run but UMass, St. Joe's, SLU, and La Salle are all possibilities.
    They were just busting my balls

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    They will win that tourney, you know better...
    That is not nearly a gimmie this year like past seasons, Cleveland State is a much better team on paper and Valpo is probably better too..

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

I agree , but Brad Steven's will get it done.... They just gave it to Cleveland St...

ballahollic2
    Update your status
    ballahollic2's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10716

unlv is the best mid major team/ wichita is also solid. SDSU is overrated IMO

marcusmv3
    marcusmv3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 286

Saint Louis just beat St. Joe's and La Salle back-to-back on the road and they are ranked 10th in the COUNTRY by Pomeroy, so I'd say Billikens are safe for an at large bid even if they don't win A-10 tourney. They also have the best overall record of any A-10 team at 20-5, so I wouldn't worry that much about the loss at Mass. Besides, Minutemen haven't been that good on the road, so they have more to worry about than SLU does.
    Sorry but I don't buy into Pomeroy when he puts Temple 36th and SLU 10th. Pythagorean method works much better in the 162-game baseball season than it does in a 30-game college basketball season. I don't buy much into any ranking, really, be it RPI, Pomeroy, Sagarin, it doesn't compare to being able to follow a team, who they play, and how they play. Temple is underrated in Pomeroy's system because of a couple bad losses, on the road to Richmond and Dayton at home, because they weren't at full strength. Explain to me how Temple handles SLU on the road, Duke at home, and they're still 26 spots behind SLU.

You're right SLU will probably get an at-large, I will admit that, but they are not in the same class as Temple right now, that's all I really mean. When I said Temple is the only A10 team I expect to go to the dance it doesn't mean that if the dance started tomorrow SLU wouldn't get in, they would, it's just that there's still games to play and SLU is much more likely to stumble out of the dance than Temple is.
    Last edited by marcusmv3; 02-12-12 at 07:36 PM.

LT Profits

I agree , but Brad Steven's will get it done.... They just gave it to Cleveland St...
    Having one of the best coaches in the country loses significance when you can't score and Butler is just awful offensively this year.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

/\ sharp post

Romanov
    Diapason Knells
    Romanov's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Wichita St killed UNLV

LT Profits

Sorry but I don't buy into Pomeroy when he puts Temple 36th and SLU 10th. Pythagorean method works much better in the 162-game baseball season than it does in a 30-game college basketball season. I don't buy much into any ranking, really, be it RPI, Pomeroy, Sagarin, it doesn't compare to being able to follow a team, who they play, and how they play. Temple is underrated in Pomeroy's system because of a couple bad losses, on the road to Richmond and Dayton at home, because they weren't at full strength. Explain to me how Temple handles SLU on the road, Duke at home, and they're still 16 spots behind SLU.

You're right SLU will get an at-large, I will admit that, but they are not in the same class as Temple right now, that's all I really mean.
    Saint Louis would be favored over Temple on a neutral court no matter what set of power ratings you look at. If you don't like kenpom, then just look at Sagarin which has SLU 13th and Temple 37th and Saint Louis -4.5 neeutral.

marcusmv3

We will possibly see Temple play SLU in Atlantic City, so that question is yet to be determined, but you will probably argue that AC is not a true neutral court anyway. Either way, IMO, Temple is the better team and if they were dogs on a neutral court to SLU I would be putting my money on Temple. Agree to disagree. For Temple to be a dog to a team on a neutral court after they've beaten the same team on the road is, IMO, ridiculous.

LT Profits

Saint Louis would be favored over Temple on a neutral court no matter what set of power ratings you look at. If you don't like kenpom, then just look at Sagarin which has SLU 13th and Temple 37th and Saint Louis -4.5 neeutral.
    Sorry I didn't see your post regarding not looking at ratings. Then you would love Temple +4.5 because lines rarely vary THAT much from the power ratings.

marcusmv3

Sorry I didn't see your post regarding not looking at ratings. Then you would love Temple +4.5 because lines rarely vary THAT much from the power ratings.
    Exactly what I said, Temple +4.5 against SLU on a neutral court is what Vegas would say? Give me Temple ALL DAY.

Edit: I find it really hard to believe that Vegas would give 4.5 to Temple in this hypothetical, neutral matchup. Joe Lunardi right now projects Temple as a 7 seed and SLU as an 11 seed. How could Vegas be this far off?
    Last edited by marcusmv3; 02-12-12 at 08:04 PM.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10289

The Big East is about to be decimated.
    Louisville is not a major university and
    it's in a remnant of a conference.
    They are a 3rd tier institution.

Owls
    Owls's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 809

Isn't the point of the conversation to find undervalued teams among mid majors? This ain't the early 2000s anymore. You don't get much value anymore picking mid majors in the NCAA tourneys. UNLV has won a national championship and have a big reputation, hard to consider them overlooked. Same with most of the Atlantic 10 teams.

LT Profits

Exactly what I said, Temple +4.5 against SLU on a neutral court is what Vegas would say? Give me Temple ALL DAY.

Edit: I find it really hard to believe that Vegas would give 4.5 to Temple in this hypothetical, neutral matchup. Joe Lunardi right now projects Temple as a 7 seed and SLU as an 11 seed. How could Vegas be this far off?
    Lunardi is the one far off, the power ratings mentioned in this thread are closer to reality than some pollster's opinion, and every ( and I do mean EVERY as I also checked teamrankings.com) reliable set of power ratings I have looked at have Saint Louis rated higher than Temple. Fact that Temple beat them head-to-head is academic, you have to look at each team's entire body of work.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by 19th Hole View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Owls View Post
    Isn't the point of the conversation to find undervalued teams among mid majors? This ain't the early 2000s anymore. You don't get much value anymore picking mid majors in the NCAA tourneys. UNLV has won a national championship and have a big reputation, hard to consider them overlooked. Same with most of the Atlantic 10 teams.
    Major conferences are clearly defined though, fact that mid-major conferences are closer to majors (and in case of Pac-12, better than some majors) doesn't change who the mid-majors are. Fact that UNLV has won a championship or that Big East is about to change doesn't change facts that UNLV is still a mid-major and Louisville still plays in a major conference.

LT Profits

I also checked teamrankings.com
    I should add that TR projects Saint Louis -2.5. Pomeroy is harder to predict a spread in hypothetical games like this where teams vary so much in tempo rating. Unfortunately there are no more regular season meetings where I could simply look up his score.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

lol ir a fukkin idiot, we produce more revenue than any othet ncaabb team and its not even close...

Tower
    Tower's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4571

I like SDSU.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10289

lol ir a fukkin idiot, we produce more revenue than any othet ncaabb team and its not even close...

Hey kid....Who's the flippin' idiot...
    Forbes??
    "Duke University is the top revenue generating men’s basketball program in the country, generating over 160 percent more revenue than the national average among other BCS basketball programs."

Also, I'm speaking of educational institutions....something someone from L'Ville
    would be unaquainted.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Hey kid....Who's the flippin' idiot...
    Forbes??
    "Duke University is the top revenue generating men’s basketball program in the country, generating over 160 percent more revenue than the national average among other BCS basketball programs."

Also, I'm speaking of educational institutions....something someone from L'Ville
    would be unaquainted.
    The University of Louisville surpassed Duke University as the top revenue-generating college basketball program during the 2010-11 season.

According to a Sports Business Journal examination of program reports to the U.S. Department of Education, coach Rick Pitino's U of L Cardinals basketball program generated $40.9 million during the 2010-11 season. Duke had revenue of $28.9 million.

For the 2009-10 season, Duke was first with $26.7 million and Louisville second with $25.9 million."

1.Louisville, $40.9 million
    2.Duke, $28.9 million
    3.Arizona, $21.2 million
    4.North Carolina, $19.7 million
    5.Syracuse, $19 million
    6.Kentucky, $18.6 million
    7.Indiana, $17.8 million
    8.Ohio State, $17 million
    9.Michigan State, $16.5 million
    10.Texas, $16.4 million
    11.Wisconsin, $16.4 million
    12.Marquette, $15.6 million
    13.Illinois, $15.4 million
    14.Arkansas, $14.6 million
    15.Tennessee, $13.8 million
    16.Minnesota, $13.7 million
    17.Pittsburgh, $13.6 million
    18.Oklahoma State, $12.3 million
    19.UCLA, $11.6 million
    20.Kansas, $11.5 million

Link: $40.9 Million

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...asketball.html
    something you guys probably didn't know... we bleed red baby!!!

First 12