Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Memphis appears headed to Big East in 2013

At least this should help out in Basketball, still mad about this shit.

Memphis and the Big East Conference are in the final stages of negotiations to make the Tigers an all-sports member of the Big East beginning in 2013, college football industry sources told CBSSports.com.
    The Tigers would join the Big East with three other Conference USA members – Houston, SMU and UCF – for the 2013-14 school year. The Big East also will add Boise State and San Diego State as football-only members in 2013 and Navy in 2015.

When contacted by CBSSports.com's Gary Parrish about the move to the Big East, Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson declined comment. An official announcement of the Tigers' move to the Big East could be made as early as this week, sources said.

While the addition of Memphis is for all sports, the Tigers' men's basketball program would help offset the future losses of men’s basketball powers Syracuse, West Virginia and Pittsburgh.

When Memphis joins the league, it’s unknown what the Big East’s football and basketball membership will consist of. That’s because West Virginia appears it will join the Big 12 this summer and will not honor the Big East’s 27-month exit requirement. However, both WVU and the Big East have filed lawsuits against each other and a Rhode Island judge ordered the parties into non-binding mediation with a deadline of Thursday.

If West Virginia is allowed to leave early, sources told CBSSports.com that Pittsburgh and Syracuse also would try to leave for the ACC but not until 2013. Although sources said it’s “technically not too late” for Pitt and Syracuse to join the ACC for the 2012 season, the two schools will remain in the Big East in 2012, but would likely negotiate to join the ACC in 2013, a year ahead of schedule.

On Friday, the ACC announced that Pitt would compete in the Coastal Division and Syracuse in the Atlantic Division when it joins the ACC.

ACC commissioner John Swofford would not speculate whether his league would help Pitt and Syracuse financially to leave the Big East before 2014, but told CBSSports.com “our position continues to be that we want to prepare ourselves when they’re ready and it’s appropriate for them to join us.”
    If Pitt and Syracuse leave in 2013, then the Big East could be left with 11 football members – Cincinnati, UConn, Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida, UCF, Houston, SMU, Boise State, San Diego State and Memphis. Also the league would have 17 basketball members: Cincinnati, UConn, Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida, UCF, Houston, SMU, Memphis, Notre Dame, Marquette, Georgetown, Seton Hall, St. John’s, Villanova, Providence and DePaul.

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

I like it Bcats. Maybe UC will somehow destroy the Big East for the next few years and get invited to a good conference. Sucks the Big East fell apart.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Matt_HayesSN Matt Hayes
    Here's what Memphis to Big East tells me: Louisville to B12 is happening. Big East moves to Memphis to secure that secondary area.

If so another blow to the Fading Big East

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Not me RLB, much rather have tough competition than skate into the tourney like we did in Conf USA all those years under Huggs only to get bounced in 2nd Round or Sweet 16 due to what im sure we can agree on was schedule and lack of competition in Conference play.

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Quote Originally Posted by Bcatswin View Post
    Not me RLB, much rather have tough competition than skate into the tourney like we did in Conf USA all those years under Huggs only to get bounced in 2nd Round or Sweet 16 due to what im sure we can agree on was schedule and lack of competition in Conference play.
    I just meant that I liked the fact they were adding a respectable team... much rather have Louisville

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Yea, i no what you mean.

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

hope it helps our football recruiting but who the fukk knows...who knows why this school does half the shit it does...most of the community is blind to the fact that we have an absolutely clueless head coach that is trying to coach some nba players and guys who dont know if they are on the hardwood or asphalt...great kid but he is nowhere near the level of coach the school needs... to be honest, if memphis could get h.s. kids from memphis to stay and go to UofM, they would be a tourney team every year...so its not the player talent is killing them this year...

football at UofM...geez, i wouldnt know where to start with that program...nice coaching hire now though.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

The best thing about Memphis is it's a college sports town with a major sponsor. It can dominate the market. Big East needs that.

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

i think that Temple to Big East is next logical move, esp with Louisville likely to leave.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTFinancial View Post
    i think that Temple to Big East is next logical move, esp with Louisville likely to leave.
    I would like that, basketball wise not sure why they would not look into Xavier as well. Unless it's a Football issue.

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

Quote Originally Posted by Bcatswin View Post
    I would like that, basketball wise not sure why they would not look into Xavier as well. Unless it's a Football issue.
    i have a hard time seeing them look at XU. XU has no football and the Big East is already in Cincy, while Temple has solid football and is in Philly (and while the Big East already has Nova, Philly's a much bigger media market than Cincy). i don't care much about C-USA, but i love A-10 hoops, so i selfishly don't want XU to leave. i don't think that we'll see the Big East pursue basketball-only members (although, let's be honest, Memphis might as well be).