mcduggly
    mcduggly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2401

Best time to buy an extra half-point?

I have seen the option to buy an extra half of a point on a basketball game before placing my bet. With that said, is it smart to ALWAYS buy it, or are there certain spreads that demand it more than others?

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

The only half-points that are vaguely worth buying are in NCAAB where you have a spread between 4 and 9 and where the projected total is exceptionally low. In all other circumstances 10c on the odds is overpriced.

BAUS
    Back on post review re: Optimal
    BAUS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 558

Quote Originally Posted by mcduggly View Post
    I have seen the option to buy an extra half of a point on a basketball game before placing my bet. With that said, is it smart to ALWAYS buy it, or are there certain spreads that demand it more than others?
    Or play at Betislands and get a free half point on every NCAA basketball game Monday thru Friday.

BAUS

bubba
    bubba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8458

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    The only half-points that are vaguely worth buying are in NCAAB where you have a spread between 4 and 9 and where the projected total is exceptionally low. In all other circumstances 10c on the odds is overpriced.

so how much do is 1/2 point valued at in general if the total is high? pinnacle (based on there dropdown menu) appears to value 1/2 point in college basketball at about 10c and about 8 cents in nba. they dont seem to fluctuate much by the total either. so tell me the true value please! thank you

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90326

Not much value in point buying in hoops. More so in Football. If you aren't sure the team hits at that given # don't play it or bet the other side.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20519

Quote Originally Posted by BAUS View Post
    Or play at Betislands and get a free half point on every NCAA basketball game Monday thru Friday.

BAUS
    with what juice?

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    so how much do is 1/2 point valued at in general if the total is high? pinnacle (based on there dropdown menu) appears to value 1/2 point in college basketball at about 10c and about 8 cents in nba. they dont seem to fluctuate much by the total either. so tell me the true value please! thank you
    They are worth slightly less than that according to historical push probabilities.

I am aware that Pinny doesn't really shade their pricing according to totals which is strange, afterall why should an NBA half point be worth less than a CBB half-point?

bubba
    bubba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8458

Quote Originally Posted by pimike View Post
    Not much value in point buying in hoops. More so in Football. If you aren't SURE the team hits at that given # don't play it or bet the other side.
    sure??????????????? must be nice. i have never been sure about any wager in my life. guess i should stop wagering on sports!

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

only buy if you can get a +EV number according to the half point calculator

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by goblue12 View Post
    This has been discussed numerous times but the HPC uses data which is out of date and also takes no account of totals. It's author (Ganch) acknowledged that weakness himself.

mcduggly

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

tzMoney
    tzMoney's Avatar Become A Pro!

There are times absolutely it makes sense. Depends on the sport and type of bet of course. I think basketball totals stupid to buy any points. You could by two points and lay an extra -40 and its only one measly basket. If you think that you need to lay that much more juice to secure a total, find a different game to bet on. If I miss out on a good line that the sharps have bet down and its a reverse line move, I often consider buying the extra half point to better aline myself with the sharps.

southpaw74
    southpaw74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

I do admit that the free half points at bet islands have saved me money on more than one occasion. I don't buy points often but i will occasionally buy the hook so I don't get beat by it. If a line is -5.5 I might buy the hook down to -5 but i would never buy it from say -5 down to -4.5 because that can't save you any money.

mcduggly

Quote Originally Posted by goblue12 View Post
    What's the link for that?

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

in parlays is really the only time and only when you cap the game and the line is really tight but you still feel like you capped the game right. Not sure anyone on this forum really caps a college basketball game though ever

naslax13
    naslax13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2550

+2.5 in football only time i buy it.