Goodfella10
    Goodfella10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

Goodfella10's Plays - 1-9-12

RECORD (22-15) +19.5 UNITS
    PLAY OF THE DAY (3-3) +2.7 UNITS

****UCONN -5.5
    -If you look at the teams that WVU has struggled with this year, they all had big and talented frontlines. I tend to think that the UConn frontline will give Jones trouble and maybe contain him to some extent. The guy is a stud and is going to get his regardless, but I think UConn's frontline defensively is comparable or better than Baylor. I also think UConn's guards will cause trouble for WVU and create some turnovers. Outside of Truck Bryant, the Mountaineers are young and have trouble handling the ball against good pressure defense. Lamb is arguably one of the better perimeter defenders in the country.

**OKLAHOMA +2
    -I think on a neutral court, the Sooners would be favored by about 5-7 points. Oklahoma State is a tough place to play, but I don't see a traditional product on the court. Olukami's injury is also another setback that the Cowboys could have done without. I told myself I was done betting road teams, but I am going to try it one more time tonight.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL
    Last edited by Goodfella10; 01-09-12 at 05:50 PM.

Goodfella10

UPGRADING UCONN to ****.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13581

Hey Goodfellea,

One thing I feel this board lacks is analysis pre or post game. Lots of folks making predictions however I'd prefer a little more capping talk pre and post. I for one truly appreciate the logic that backs your bets.

I posted in another thread about Penn St. I was floored when they put up 82 the other night. I had them penned in as under based on pace and ability to shoot and was obviously wrong. Any thoughts here? BOL.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Right now liking St Mary's just hate giving the big #'s... 16.5

Goodfella10

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    Hey Goodfellea, One thing I feel this board lacks is analysis pre or post game. Lots of folks making predictions however I'd prefer a little more capping talk pre and post. I for one truly appreciate the logic that backs your bets. I posted in another thread about Penn St. I was floored when they put up 82 the other night. I had them penned in as under based on pace and ability to shoot and was obviously wrong. Any thoughts here? BOL.
    I'm sure you know this already, but boxscores have a wealth of information. I use them quite frequently to analyze games and find team's strengths and weaknesses.

In reference to IU/Penn St and the fact that Penn State scored 82 points, 2 things stand out to me from the boxscore. I didn't watch the game, so I have to go by the stats.

1. Fouls/Free throws - Penn State got to the line 25 times and converted 21 times. Indiana plays physical basketball and it appears that the refs decided to call the game with a tight whistle. There was also 32 free throws attempted by Indiana, which stops the clock and leads to more possessions.

2. Turnovers - Usually Penn State isn't a up and down team, but when you get 16 turnovers it leads to fastbreak opportunities and results in a faster paced game.

Both of these things result in easier baskets and more points for a team that usually struggles offensively. These are also things that are very hard to predict by looking at stats beforehand, but it is really a guessing game.
    Last edited by Goodfella10; 01-09-12 at 06:18 PM.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfella10 View Post
    I'm sure you know this already, but boxscores have a wealth of information. I use them quite frequently to analyze games and find team's strengths and weaknesses. In reference to IU/Penn St and the fact that Penn State scored 82 points, 2 things stand out to me from the boxscore.
    OK, you got me. If you would have showed me IU shooting 16/24 from 3 or the like and scoring 88 pts I'd be broke right now. I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but what stands out to you that I'm missing.

Goodfella10

OK, you got me. If you would have showed me IU shooting 16/24 from 3 or the like and scoring 88 pts I'd be broke right now. I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but what stands out to you that I'm missing.
    Sorry, it was a premature post. I have updated.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfella10 View Post
    I'm sure you know this already, but boxscores have a wealth of information. I use them quite frequently to analyze games and find team's strengths and weaknesses. In reference to IU/Penn St and the fact that Penn State scored 82 points, 2 things stand out to me from the boxscore. I didn't watch the game, so I have to go by the stats. 1. Fouls/Free throws - Penn State got to the line 25 times and converted 21 times. Indiana plays physical basketball and it appears that the refs decided to call the game with a tight whistle. There was also 32 free throws attempted by Indiana, which stops the clock and leads to more possessions. 2. Turnovers - Usually Penn State isn't a up and down team, but when you get 16 turnovers it leads to fastbreak opportunities and results in a faster paced game. Both of these things result in easier baskets and more points for a team that usually struggles offensively. These are also things that are very hard to predict by looking at stats beforehand, but it is really a guessing game.
    Thanks so much for your time. I didn't see the game either but PS is a defendable team w/o fouling. @ PS so I sure would like to hear from someone who actually saw the game. How they get to the line that many times is perplexing. Agreed to's are tough to predict but again from a small sample PS didn't impress me a s a pressure D.

Goodfella10

Thanks so much for your time. I didn't see the game either but PS is a defendable team w/o fouling. @ PS so I sure would like to hear from someone who actually saw the game. How they get to the line that many times is perplexing. Agreed to's are tough to predict but again from a small sample PS didn't impress me a s a pressure D.
    Yea, from what I have seen of Penn St this year, I wouldn't have guessed they would score 82 either. They aren't known for their defensive pressure and creating turnovers and Indiana is usually pretty strong with the ball and limit turnovers. Again, I think the key is being able to guess or predict how teams are going to perform, which is very, very difficult to do. I believe that watching as many games as you can is helpful, but few people have the time to do so.