Bezerk15
    Bezerk15's Avatar Become A Pro!

1H play...William & Mary - though Northeastern should cover the Game

I am going to lay my cap out here with an adjustment from my previous post on another thread...so after further review...

Take a look at Northeastern riding into William & Mary, sitting currently at -8 or -8.5, depending on your hook...line opened last night -9...Northeastern is riding a four game winning streak and in the midst of a cupcake portion of the CAA (Delaware, W&M, and UNCW) before battling Drexel and George Mason...

My initial view was for: "NU to get out BIG and Early"

I see it playing out a little different...
    William & Mary has lost their last five conference games at Home, opposing teams have covered ATS in 4 of 5, the exception being a PUSH against George Mason. The interesting figure is W&M's ability to keep these games close in the 1st Half...

Here is a breakdown of the last five home games for William & Mary and the most glaring statistics that move me to my play...(all statistics are for W&M 1st half and 2nd half)

vs. Georgia St.
    1h score GSU 20 - WM 18
    FG 1h 38% ----- 2h 40%
    3pt 1h 22% ----- 2h 23%
    FT 1h 0% ----- 2h 66%
    2h score GSU 38 - WM 33

vs. Towson
    1h score TU 37 - WM 36
    FG 1h 56% ----- 2h 33%
    3pt 1h 57% ----- 2h 40%
    FT 1h 42% ------ 2h 33%
    2h score TU 32 - WM 20

vs. George Mason
    1h score GMU 29 - WM 26
    FG 1h 34% ----- 2h 38%
    3pt 1h 20% ----- 2h 26%
    FT 1h 57% ------ 2h 60%
    2h score GMU 32 - WM 31

vs. James Madison
    1h score JMU 29 - WM 29
    FG 1h 42% ----- 2h 25%
    3pt 1h 20% ----- 2h 17%
    FT 1h 83% ------ 2h 76%
    2h score JMU 45 - WM 36

vs. Old Dominion
    1h score ODU 23 - WM 23
    FG 1h 39% ----- 2h 34%
    3pt 1h 37% ----- 2h 40%
    FT 1h 33% ------ 2h 100%
    2h score ODU 39 - WM 27

This as a team that characteristically seems to just fade as the game progresses, especially to sub-par teams, hence a 1-10 conference record and 0-6 at home. There is one exception, they played a healthy George Mason tight throughout the game...Sitting at the bottom of the CAA with nothing to look forward to but a chance to upset the Conference leader Northeastern - two teams that shared the middle of the pack in the CAA for the past five years - W&M will give them everything they have in a game that is essentially their season....but for 1 HALF ONLY.

My play - William & Mary 1H +4.5

Disclaimer - this package comes with a NO GUARANTEEEEE warning.
    Last edited by Bezerk15; 02-04-09 at 12:23 PM. Reason: missed a stat

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

That's some good intel and analysis. As a W&M alum, I can attest first-hand that this is a trend that dates back at least to the early 90s. I wish that I had long-term stats handy to back up that statement, but suffice it to say that the Tribe's trademark lack of athleticism leading to abysmal second half showings [esp against more athletic opponents] is a tradition that probably pre-dates Lou Holtz's years at the school. Fading the Tribe second half is also never a bad idea, particularly against the likes of VCU, GMU, ODU, etc.

Bezerk15

I appreciate the response...that'sthe play on the game tonight - Northeastern with the travel and overlooking a team that they spanked at home early in the season - W&M keeps it tight for the 1H and then load up on Northeastern to finish them off in the 2nd Half.

BOL tonight!

BiffTFinancial

Nice - Tribe leads outright at half. Good call. NE 2nd half looks like the second half play. VCU 2nd half has potential too.

Bezerk15

Thanks for the LOVE!!! Nobody else gave this a shot!
    I appreciate it!

BiffTFinancial

No problem. CAA hoops present some great wagering values. Too bad Tribe didn't perform their usual second half vanishing act. My theory is that, the chicks at W&M are so fugly, visiting teams are inflicted with some type of vertigo for the first half adjusting to their surroundings at W&M Hall, an effect that wears off by second half as they get used to it. The only explanation that I can find for NE not covering 2H line is that perhaps it was ladies night - sensory overload and they never adjusted? Oh well, still agree with your analysis and label last night's second half as something of an aberration.