pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by 0hndycp View Post
    Do you really think that if there was a playoff system in CFB that Boise of TCU would ever make the title game!! There is absolutely no chance they would be able to win 3 or 4 games against superior programs. Madcap had it right, the only chance that Boise st or the former TCU ever had was in the BCS system!! The only way to determine who the best team actually is to play a series of at least 5 games. There is no way on this great earth that the VCU's of the world would be able to beat the likes of Kansas in a series of 5 or more games!!! The tournament rewards the team that gets hot at the right time, which is the only way that a team that finished 4th in the CAA this year end up in the final four! Hell they didn't even belong in the tourney, they were out eating burgers and drinking milkshakes on selection sunday because even they knew they didn't belong!!!
    So now you want playoffs for the NCAA to determine who advances? 5 games? They might just don't go to school at all and play hoops 24/7 and call it the professional basketball league of college athletes.

ab1183
    ab1183's Avatar Become A Pro!

If they play a tougher out of conference schedule they will have a better shot. There is no way anyone can say that going 12-0 in the MWC is more impressive than 11-1 in the SEC.

Prop Bet Master
    The road to nowhere leads to me!
    Prop Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

The BCS doesn't take into account margin of victory, which is retarded. That's one of the most important factors. TCU destroyed almost every team on their schedule. They were ranked #1 in the Las Vegas Rankings at VegasInsider for much of the season. For them not to have a chance to play for the National Championship was criminal.

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I hope so. Thats all I can say. Hard to imagine it not happening!

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10238

I doubt if they will ever play....
    And rightly so.
    Schools from weak conferences
    are lucky to play in any major
    bowl game. IMHO

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    Going to a playoff in college football will KILL Boise State's chances of playing in the Championship game. They are infinitely better off WITH the BCS than without it.

Boise is a complete fraud. Beating a conference full of weaklings and getting up for 1-2 big games a year is not that difficult. Does anyone really think Auburn or Oregon wouldn't have steam-rolled Nevada by 3-4 touchdowns this year?

That's the one decent WAC opponent Boise had all damned year, and they couldn't win it. There's no way in hell they are winning 3-4 games in a playoff against the best teams in college football. And even if they did, and made it to the championship game, by then they would be so physically and emotionally drained they'd get annihilated.

There's a reason the presidents and commissioners of the non-AQ BCS conferences/schools don't want a playoff. They know they'd stand no chance of ever winning the title. They will fight the playoff system more than the bigger schools.

Basketball is not football. It's a completely different sport. There advantages to the superior talent/size are much greater. That's just the nature of the game, how it's played, how it's scheduled, how coaches game plan. Maybe the better team gets clipped every now and then, but no weaker team like VCU is catching fire and beating 6 better football teams in a row.
    awesome post.......Boise, TCU, and the likes never have to earn it the way a team out of the SEC does

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    So now you want playoffs for the NCAA to determine who advances? 5 games? They might just don't go to school at all and play hoops 24/7 and call it the professional basketball league of college athletes.
    Hey Pavey.....read the whole post you are replying to before you open your pie-hole

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Yeah I get it. If Kansas plays VCU 100 times they will beat them 90 times. But this is not how the system works.

Raleigh77
    Raleigh77's Avatar Become A Pro!

Death to the BCS is a really good book (not the best written book but factually excellent). It will make you angry reading it because of the hypocrisy and clear indifference to fairness that the BCS has.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

The fact of the matter is this. Nothing is going to change in the near future. A "plus one" system is your best hope now. As far as who should be playing, SOS should play a huge factor in determining rankings. It does not play any factor now. TCu is going to the Big East, so they can kiss any hopes of going to a title game good bye. The Big East is last in the pecking order. Boise State has a better shot, because they play better conference teams. Still, the money is made by the USC's, Alabama's, Ohio State's, Oklahoma's, etc... That's who the public wants to see, and that fact will remain in the back of voters minds.

As far as comparing college football to college basketball, you cannot. College basketball is absolutely terrible. The game is horrid to begin with. Now, with the star players checking out after one year, it becomes worse. No one gives a crap about college hoops. If flunky schools like Butler and VCU can make the final 4, and the championship game (one is guaranteed to get there, because they play each other), then the game has become worthless. That would NEVER happen in college football.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

I am very passionate about college football and the NFL. The major difference between a college basketball tournament and a college football tournament is college basketball is totally jacked up because of players leaving early. The talent level in college hoops is nowhere near what it once was. The NFL makes players wait to join their ranks, so college football has the benefit of seeing juniors and seniors playing for the title game. College basketball is a joke and no other sport should try to duplicate what they have going on until they make it mandatory to commit to at least 3 years. SEC!! TCU and Boise St. are garbage teams that play garbage schedules!! They would get taken to the wood shed if they played with the big boys consistently.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1794

If they are good enough they might make it someday. But honestly they are never that great, beating bunch of nobodies and then winning one bowl game does not prove much.

Either way, if you want a playoff in college football, you'll get a championship like Boston College vs Arizona State then you'll be crying how it sucks and the better teams lost, etc.

People assume that the best team(s) will win in a playoff and get an amazing championship game which is a joke.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Anyone who posts that Boise State is a fraud is simply not knowledgeable about college football and certainly hasn't examined their program.

Move Boise to the SEC or any other major conf, and eventually they'll win it all.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1794

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Anyone who posts that Boise State is a fraud is simply not knowledgeable about college football and certainly hasn't examined their program.

Move Boise to the SEC or any other major conf, and eventually they'll win it all.
    No they won't, SEC would eat these kids up over the long run.

bacon22
    bacon22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1279

I agree. If the lower levels of college football can do it, so can the big boys. It is all about money. Look at what is happening with the CEO of the Fiesta Bowl.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Well yeah. EVENTUALLY.

South Carolina moved into the SEC in 1992. And EVENTUALLY, they won the SEC EAST Division title. 19 YEARS LATER.

Boise is a fraud my man. Sorry. If you believe they are anything but, then you must have never donned a helmet and buckled a chin strap.

No one is saying Boise isn't talented. No one is saying that given the right conditions, Boise can't compete on the same field as the best teams in the country. But that doesn't mean they are one of the best teams in the country.

The best teams in the country don't just get to beat up on weaklings for weeks on end, and only have to get up for 1-2 big games a year. The best teams in the country have to play top programs week in and week out. And that takes a toll. Physically. Emotionally. Psychologically. There's no way a team with Boise's talent level comes out of the SEC this year with any fewer than 4 losses. To do so would be to suggest that VCU could have finished this season in the top 3 in the Big East, Big Ten, or Big 12, just because they beat Purdue, Gtown, and Kansas. And that's asinine.

James Madison beat Virginia Tech last season. IN BLACKSBURG. But there isn't one damn person in the country that thinks JMU would have gone 8-0 in the ACC last year. But the Hokies did, as well as beating FSU in the conference title game.

Meanwhile Boise State racked up wins against teams with records like 1-12, 2-10, 3-9 and 4-8, plus a couple at 5-7. That's HALF their win total, coming against teams with a combined 20-53 record.

Meanwhile SEC champs Auburn racked up 7 wins against teams with a combined record of 70-23.

Being one of the best teams in college football means more than simply being able to beat 1-2 tough opponents a year. It means being able to win week in and week out against stiff competition. Boise has not been able to prove themselves capable of this. And until they do, they are a fraud. End of story. If they went undefeated in the WAC every year, dismantling every opponent like FSU used to do in the ACC back in the 90's, then, maybe, there would be a discussion. But they haven't done that. Even the years they've won out, they've had some very close calls. And a close call against Tulsa or La Tech isn't exactly the same as a close call at Clemson or Miami.

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTFinancial View Post
    this kind of pie-eyed, pandering, populist nonsense works on talk radio (if you can stand it) but that's about it. problem is, CBB can narrow down from 68 teams to 1 team in three weeks. logistically speaking, an 8-team playoff in CFB is the best you could accomplish in the same time frame, and it would be a complete waste including teams 5-8.

plus, FYI, Butler and VCU don't have DI-A football teams. the little guys you're talking about giving a chance are who, Northern Illinois and Florida International? football is a different game, far more likely to result in beatdowns by faves than upsets by smaller schools. we saw how overmatched UConn was against Oklahoma in a down year for the Big East. an optional plus-one format (which would be used when appropriate, like 2010-11, but not when not needed, like 2009-10 when Bama and Texas were clearly a class above the rest) is the most extensive playoff they should consider. a 16-team abortion of a playoff guarantees two things: 55-0 losses for Northern Illinois and FIU to Auburn and Oregon in the first round, and that teams will be injury-depleted by the time they reach the final. i can see how a plus-one makes sense (just not in 2009-10 when Boise, Cincy and TCU weren't worthy), but there's never been a season where i looked back and said, "man, i really wish the #5 or #8 had had another shot at the title after they blew chances during the regular season." thank god for the BCS that it would never allow such an abortion to occur.
    Amen.....preach-on brother

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0

Holy $hit, This has to be on of the most absurd posts about college football I have ever read......If Boise played in the SEC they would never win anything. Thbey would be lucky to finish above .500 consitently......The physical beating taken week-end and week-out would be too harse. The Boise's of the world are not able to recruit every year with the big boys.........Bottom line is TRADITION.....In 2 or 3 years it will be some other bottom feeder that will rise out of the ashes of so-so football to string together a nice little run against inferior competition and the bleeding hearts will be crying for them to have a CHANCE while the Alabama's and USC's and Texas's of the world continue to be at the top.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

I am sorry, but anyone who has doubts about the SEC's supremacy is the one who doesn't know a thing or two about football. You're comparing teams that have schedules against Little league rosters, and arguing that record holds strong when trying to play the Yankees. If Boise St. was good enough to play in the SEC, then they wouldn't be losing to bottom feeders. I can't stand someone coming in to an argument with stats of a medium sized brother beating up the baby brother 90 percent of the time, and using those stats to support their argument in a fight between the middle sized brother and the DAD who is a fully grown man on steroids. Boise St. plays cupcakes that most teams in the top 50 would embarrass. The difference is other teams in the top 50 have to play with the big boys more than once or twice a year.

jackmyhoggoff
    jackmyhoggoff's Avatar Become A Pro!

BIG MONEY against both of them ! NCAA is a FRAUD! Look at basketball DUKE No.1 in the WEST REG. doesn't leave the state of NC until they reach the SWEET 16 !!! FVCKING JOKE. BIG $$$ is always DIRTY MONEY...

Wrecktangle

I stand by my statement. BTW, I went to Auburn and was one of the student "trainers" with the team. So I love the SEC and do believe it is pound for pound the best conf in the nation. But, if you ever get to see the Boise State program from the inside, you'll realize that their system is one of the very best.

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

I agree that Boise is a quality program and should be commended for what they have done. As they stand now, middle of the pack team in SEC and the possibility of them eventually coming out on top would be a stretch, but impossible to answer. Now if you would have used the Pac Ten as an example...........

freelee
    Update your status
    freelee's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 466

the BCS is ridiculous

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

SEC is the King.. Others are just servants..

RollPlayer
    RollPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!

They can get in during a down year for the big conferences, especially if TCU manages to win the big east

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

I stand by my statement. BTW, I went to Auburn and was one of the student "trainers" with the team. So I love the SEC and do believe it is pound for pound the best conf in the nation. But, if you ever get to see the Boise State program from the inside, you'll realize that their system is one of the very best.
    I don't think Boise is a fraud (they weren't a good team last year though, despite their record). If they played in the SEC they'd have results similar to teams like Arkansas or South Carolina.... i.e. middle of the pack and going to the SECCG every 10-15 years or so.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

I know they have a great system. But systems can only trump talent so often. Ask Bob Knight.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Boise State is a good program, but could not consistanly keep up with the top SEC teams, or the Top PAC 12, Big 10, ACC, or Big 12 teams. The reason is simple. Boise scheduoles one or two difficult games per year. They do not have to play 4 to 6 difficult teams in their conference, plus an additional one or two top rated non-con teams every year. They would not survive a schedule like that.

Wrecktangle

We can argue all day long on Boise State. But Boise needs to move to a BCS conf to get respect. TCU made an excellent move: move into a wussie basketball conf and start cramming those putzs into a few lockers. BTW, I see Boise in the PAC 32 in a few years.

jennahazeplays
    jennahazeplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

theyll ne good for a few more years but not nearly as good as this historic run

arenakingbras
    arenakingbras's Avatar Become A Pro!

Boise State could go to the BCS Championship but it would have to be a really weird season. I agree with the poster who said they have a better chance WITHOUT a playoff if they want a title. Lets be honest they would have no chance of beating TCU, Oregon and Auburn in 3 consecutive games.
    Boise State is like the real life college football version of the Mighty Ducks. They can sneak up on big time teams; Oregon and Oklahoma for Boise State and Iceland and The Hawks for the Ducks, but they never really convince you you that they're better than those teams and the only way they get the wins are by using fake punts, hook and ladders, Statue of Liberty 2-point conversions, the Flying V and knuckle pucks.

Frostware
    Frostware's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5433

In tournament style TCU & Boise State dont make it to the finals.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

TCU made a huge mistake by jumping to the Big East, but TCU is the whore of the NCAA. They will jump to any conference to make a buck, as this 4th move in 10 years shows. Had TCU stayed in the MWC, the MWC would have become an AQ Conference. TCU would have a much better chance at winning the MWC Crown than the Big East Crown. TCU
    will never get into a NC game out of the Big Least unless no more than one other AQ Conference team goes undefeated. If TCU loses a game, they are finished, as far as BCS Title hopes are concerned.

Boise State plays Georgia to start the season. They also host TCU, and play SIX other teams that went to bowl games last season. That is 8 teams that wnet to bowl games out of 12. Not a bad schedule. By the way, those bowl teams won 5 of those games, including wins over the Big 10 Champion, Big East, and ACC schools. Not too bad for a non-AQ confereence.

jackmyhoggoff
    jackmyhoggoff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by daimoshokage View Post
    SEC is the King.. Others are just servants..
    IN your avartar it looks like GRIFFIN that's BIG 12 !

wookieehumper
    wookieehumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

NCAA bb tourney is a joke. Rarely does the best team win it all... sure it's entertaining to see upsets, but not fair to a team that had a great season to have it all end bc they couldn't win 6 games in a row

First 123 Last