rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

500 Greatest NBA Players of All Time

So, SLAM Magazine just released their list of the greatest players in history. What are your thoughts?
    Here are the top 10-
    1. Michael Jordan
    2. Wilt Chamberlain
    3. Bill Russell
    4. Shaquille O'Neal
    5. Oscar Robertson
    6. Magic Johnson
    7. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    8. Tim Duncan
    9. Larry Bird
    10. Kobe Bryant

Personally, I think Shaq is a little too high, and Bird should be ahead of Duncan and Kareem. Also think Kobe isn't top 10 just yet, but I can see putting him there.

And the full list is here (SLAM doesn't have the list available online, so had to link to a forum)-
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=212548

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Shaq is way to high on the list. Kareem should be higher than him for sure.
    Last edited by doublej95; 03-14-11 at 02:23 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: face

rsnnh12

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post
    Shaw is way to high on the list. Kareem should be higher than him for sure.
    Agreed. My list would go something like-
    1. MJ
    2. Russell
    3. Wilt
    4. Magic
    5. Bird
    6. Kareem
    7. Hakeem Olajuwon
    8. Shaq
    9. Oscar Robertson
    10. Duncan

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

just a quick glance and it looks like a joke, i know rodman got titles, but to say he is an overall better player than wade is crazy.
    i like how run-t.m.c. is 87-89

Chandler
    Chandler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oscar Robertson should be higher.

using just those 10 i'd go this order... well i'm taking shaq out

1. MJ
    2. Wilt
    3. Oscar
    4. Russell
    5. Bird
    6. Magic
    7.Kobe
    8.Elgin Baylor
    9. Moses Malone
    10. Kareem

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Duncan has been a great players who's won multiple championships...but he's not a Top 10 of all-time

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

David Wood got shafted.. should have made top 500...

Chandler

what number was Jerry West and Elgin Baylor on the list?

amazing how many of the top players, played with the Lakers at some point

rsnnh12

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
    what number was Jerry West and Elgin Baylor on the list?

amazing how many of the top players, played with the Lakers at some point
    11 and 12, respectively. Lol

rsnnh12

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    Duncan has been a great players who's won multiple championships...but he's not a Top 10 of all-time
    I think the justification for it is that he's the greatest PF of all time, and its hard to keep the GOAT at any position out of the top 10

Chandler

wow, the lakers really did stack that list...

6 in the top 12? half!!! wow

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Bryant is not top 10 yet but shaq is

That list is an absolute joke. Anyone that ever watched Wilt Chamberlain play would not have him at #2. The guys that probably made this list base it off stats. Duncan top 10 of all time. Yeahhhhhhh let me tell you about that one

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

Shaq in his prime was an unstoppable force...scoring 30+ nearly every game in finals for Lakers

Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Bryant is not top 10 yet but shaq is

That list is an absolute joke. Anyone that ever watched Wilt Chamberlain play would not have him at #2. The guys that probably made this list base it off stats. Duncan top 10 of all time. Yeahhhhhhh let me tell you about that one

how many on the top 10 list did you watch during their prime?

HCBoone
    HCBoone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5652

It's difficult to make a list like that except the number one spot, we all now MJ was the best.

I don't think it's strange Shaq is high on that list, remember him back in Orlando (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DSN1KnAW-Y), the guy was a beast and he got a couple of rings.

Whippit
    getting to know ms. douglas
    Whippit's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd swap Wesley & Ellison in last 2 spots

otherwise list is correct

ManBearPig
    ManBearPig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Whippit View Post
    I'd swap Wesley & Ellison in last 2 spots otherwise list is correct
    This made me laugh out loud so thanks for that. I think that says it all...

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post

how many on the top 10 list did you watch during their prime?
    Jordan, Bird, Shaq, Duncan, and Bryant. The rest I have watched on film. Not clips. Full games.

Wilt Chamberlain is the most overrated player in the history of the NBA. The players in the NBA during his time were equivilent to college players today (maybe even D2 college). He had a significant height advantage almost every game, and most of his points came off layup and putbacks. His accomplishments are blown up because he played at a time where he was just completely dominant. There were only about 15 superstars in the league at that time, so there was a huge dropoff between these guys and the rest of the league. Basketball was evolving. Guys were still revolutionizing the position. Now- every position has already been revolutionized, and if you have something to add to the game that hasn't been seen, its usually something minor. So the game is evolving less and less and mainly staying the same--Since the Jordan era, the game really has not changed much.

Bryant scored 81 in today's era, which is 10 times more difficult than Wilt's 100 (go back and watch the tape from that game, and you will realize what I am talking about).

Duncan does not deserve to be on this list. Shaq ahead of Bryant is a disgrace to be honest. Even both Jerry West and Magic Johnson have come out and said Bryant is the best laker ever. Eddie, we're not talking about dominance, as it can easily be argued Shaq was the most dominant player in history. However, he is not a top 5 player ever to play, plain and simple, putting him ahead of Magic Johnson is absurd.

Bill Russel gets on this list because he was a great defender and had all those championships? Do the guys that make this list not understand that Bill Russel would be lucky to win a couple of rings in today's league. The things Bryant and Jordan have done are truly special. I will be curious to see if ANYONE during the next 20 years will come close to JOrdan's 6 rings or Bryant's 5 (and counting). Big O is the only one out of those 3 I feel deserves to be in the top 5.
    Last edited by Goat Milk; 03-14-11 at 03:50 PM.

dngf
    Update your status
    dngf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 85296

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Bill Russell
    3. Wilt Chamberlain
    4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    5. Oscar Robertson
    6. Magic Johnson
    7. Larry Bird
    8. Shaquille O'Neal
    9. Tim Duncan
    10. Kobe Bryant

Obviously subjective, but my thinking, Wilt had the points, Bill Russell played defense, 9 rings to show, he had a much better supporting cast than MJ otherwise he should be given consideration as #1. I think Shaq is too high, he had good help young Kobe or DWade and no more dominating than Kareem was in his prime. I could go either way with Big O and Magic. Larry Bird was phenomonal and contributed to several rings for the Celts, I think Shaq, Duncan and Kobe rounding out the top 10 is fair. Kobe belongs, because not only did he vindicate his firing of Shaq with a ring, he followed that up with B2B.

Bradyd
    Bradyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Quote Originally Posted by rsnnh12 View Post
    So, SLAM Magazine just released their list of the greatest players in history. What are your thoughts?
    Here are the top 10-
    1. Michael Jordan
    2. Wilt Chamberlain
    3. Bill Russell
    4. Shaquille O'Neal
    5. Oscar Robertson
    6. Magic Johnson
    7. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    8. Tim Duncan
    9. Larry Bird
    10. Kobe Bryant

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=212548
    No doubt about #1 and I can live with Wilt at #2... Shaq is too high and like Magic and Bird, him and Kobe should be very close to one another on the list.. Also, Duncan should not be ahead of Olajuwon...

Chandler

Jordan, Bird, Shaq, Duncan, and Bryant. The rest I have watched on film. Not clips. Full games.

Wilt Chamberlain is the most overrated player in the history of the NBA. The players in the NBA during his time were equivilent to college players today (maybe even D2 college). He had a significant height advantage almost every game, and most of his points came off layup and putbacks. His accomplishments are blown up because he played at a time where he was just completely dominant. There were only about 10 superstars in the league at that time, so there was a huge dropoff between these guys and the rest of the league.

Bryant scored 81 in today's era, which is 10 times more difficult than Wilt's 100 (go back and watch the tape from that game, and you will realize what I am talking about).

Duncan does not deserve to be on this list. Shaq ahead of Bryant is a disgrace to be honest. Even both Jerry West and Magic Johnson have come out and said Bryant is the best laker ever. Eddie, we're not talking about dominance, as it can easily be argued Shaq was the most dominant player in history. However, he is not a top 5 player ever to play, plain and simple, putting him ahead of Magic Johnson is absurd.

Bill Russel gets on this list because he was a great defender and had all those championships? Do the guys that make this list not understand that Bill Russel would be lucky to win a couple of rings in today's league. The things Bryant and Jordan have done are truly special. I will be curious to see if ANYONE during the next 20 years will come close to JOrdan's 6 rings or Bryant's 5 (and counting). Big O is the only one out of those 3 I feel deserves to be in the top 5.
    apparently you haven't watch full-games of Bill Russell.

in regards to Wilt and his competition. I don't think you can bring the differences in eras and competition in an all-time list. If you were to do that, then many players from the 50's 60's 70;s 80;s would go from being in the top 100 all time, to not even close to the top 10,000.

the game is different its apples to oranges. Sure a guy like Dirk would have averaged 75 a game back in the 50's when George Mikan dominated. that doesn't mean you wipe guys like Petit and Mikan off the map.

the fact is that Wilt dominated, against the best of his day. period. you can't try to extrapolate to how he would fare today.

averaging 50 points a game? c'mon?

he wasn't just a big guy, the guy led the league in assistants one year. How many 7 footers can do that? regardless of era.

jubuck757
    jubuck757's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

This is the official List

1. Jordan
    2.Wilt
    3.magic
    4.Kareem
    5. Kobie
    6. Russell
    7.Kobie
    8.Shaq
    9. Duncan
    10. Robertson

Bird is not a top 10 Player..

dngf
    Update your status
    dngf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 85296

I think Chandler's point is spot on. Take Russell, "he wouldn't have won but a couple of rings in today's league". Heck he may not have won any. 6'9" 215. Way too small, he wouldn't beat out Paul Pierce 6'7" 235 to play small forward for the Celtics. Its just not comparable, but in any analysis you cannot take away the 9 rings he earned while he played.

Goat Milk

Bro that is not possible to do in today's league as a 7 footer. You will get exposed. Wilt was able to do that because the NBA was full of scrubs at that time. The NBA was like his playground- how can you even measure the guys skill if he was rarely even challenged? Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain are not in the top 5 guys ever to play, simple as that.

Take the eras out of it and just watch their games. Stats are meaningless because there were way more possessions per 48 minutes at that time which led to inflated stats

Just watch their overall games. Who was a better player, Magic Johnson or Wilt Chamberlain? Its not even a question....

jubuck757

7. Hakeem put kobe twice

jubuck757

Quote Originally Posted by jubuck757 View Post

1. Jordan
    2.Wilt
    3.magic
    4.Kareem
    5. Kobie
    6. Russell
    7.Kobie
    8.Shaq
    9. Duncan
    10. Robertson

7. hakeem

rsnnh12

1. Jordan
    2.Wilt
    3.magic
    4.Kareem
    5. Kobie
    6. Russell
    7.Kobie
    8.Shaq
    9. Duncan
    10. Robertson

Would LOVE to hear your reasoning for probably the best pure shooter ever not being in the top 10

Goat Milk

Chandler,

This would be my top 10 list of all time

1. Jordan
    2. Bryant
    3. Magic Johnson
    4. Kareem
    5. Oscar Robertson
    6. Larry Bird
    7. Hakeem
    8. Julius Erving
    9. Bill Russel
    10. O'Neal

rsnnh12

Bro that is not possible to do in today's league as a 7 footer. You will get exposed. Wilt was able to do that because the NBA was full of scrubs at that time. The NBA was like his playground- how can you even measure the guys skill if he was rarely even challenged? Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain are not in the top 5 guys ever to play, simple as that.

Take the eras out of it and just watch their games. Stats are meaningless because there were way more possessions per 48 minutes at that time which led to inflated stats

Just watch their overall games. Who was a better player, Magic Johnson or Wilt Chamberlain? Its not even a question....
    So would you keep Babe Ruth out of the top 5 for baseball greats? He would've been outmatched by nearly every single pitcher nowadays...

And Russell was actually average size for the center position. Average height for centers in the 60's was 6'10", Russell was 6'9"-6'10". There's a list of ~25 players who played from 60-72, who were 6'11"+ and played 3+ years, so not everyone was short back then. Russell is one of the greatest defenders, rebounders, and leaders the league has ever seen

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

1. Hakeem
    2. Shaq
    3. Jordan
    4. Duncan
    5. James
    6. Bird
    7. Robertson
    8. Robinson
    ........................................ .......................................
    499. Terrell Brandon
    500. Toni Kukoc

Goat Milk

So would you keep Babe Ruth out of the top 5 for baseball greats? He would've been outmatched by nearly every single pitcher nowadays...

And Russell was actually average size for the center position. Average height for centers in the 60's was 6'10", Russell was 6'9"-6'10". There's a list of ~25 players who played from 60-72, who were 6'11"+ and played 3+ years, so not everyone was short back then. Russell is one of the greatest defenders, rebounders, and leaders the league has ever seen
    yeah so is dennis rodman..........

rsnnh12

yeah so is dennis rodman..........
    Pretty sure Jordan and Pippen were the leaders of that team...

That's like me saying Jordan is one of the greatest scorers of all time, and you responding "yeah so is AI"

Russell>>>>>Rodman
    Last edited by rsnnh12; 03-14-11 at 04:23 PM.

jubuck757

Bird was over rated. If bird played today he would not be considered a top 10 player, in todays game, let alone all time top 10. He had no atheltic ability at all. Now he is probaly a top 10 clutch player, but bird played no defense. yeah he could shoot real good but what else could he do, my point exactly. You ask me he is a poor man Dirk, except he can pass a little better than dirk. Bird was so over rated clearly because he was white, just to call it like it is.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Agreed. My list would go something like-
    1. MJ
    2. Russell
    3. Wilt
    4. Magic
    5. Bird
    6. Kareem
    7. Hakeem Olajuwon
    8. Shaq
    9. Oscar Robertson
    10. Duncan
    Yes, any top ten list would have to include Olajuwon imo.

rsnnh12

Bird was over rated. If bird played today he would not be considered a top 10 player, in todays game, let alone all time top 10. He had no atheltic ability at all. Now he is probaly a top 10 clutch player, but bird played no defense. yeah he could shoot real good but what else could he do, my point exactly. You ask me he is a poor man Dirk, except he can pass a little better than dirk. Bird was so over rated clearly because he was white, just to call it like it is.
    One of smartest players to ever play, great passer, great rebounder, weak 1 on 1 D but great team D, and again, top 3 pure shooter (IMO 1 or 2, with Ray Allen and Nash being the other 2)

Found a link with Lakers fans discussing him, and if anyone would be hard on him it would be them... gives a pretty good idea of what he could do. Link to a youtube vid in there too.

http://www.clublakers.com/nba-discus...e-t107062.html

1234 Last