suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Saturday, March 12: DET @ DEN -9.5

Nuggets -9.5 (-106) x5

Classic Saturday night in the NBA with lots of competitive games, and then we have this one. Detroit is playing on a B2B and in their last game of a 3 day trip that took them to San Antonio, Oklahoma City, and now Denver. Playing the second game in a B2B in Denver is tough, and with the Nuggets playing very well right now, I just don't see this game being close.

Only the Spurs and Bulls enjoy a stronger home court advantage this season than the Nuggets, who have an average MOV in home games of 9ppg. The Nuggets are are 8-2 ATS vs teams coming to Denver on a B2B when they're rested (1+days rest). These teams played one game so far this season in Detroit with Denver on a B2B and the Nuggets still won by 9.

Seems like the strongest play on the board to me.
    Points Awarded:

Illusion gave suicidekings 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Like it, might play it smaller

clamchowder
    clamchowder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 564

I think the Pistons are overheated coming in to Denver. BOL su.

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

Now, one night after losing by 10 to Oklahoma City, the Pistons are going to have problems in the Mile High City against a rested Nuggets squad that had the chance to take last night off after three road games.

Denver, which has won seven of its last nine games, have won five straight inside the Pepsi Center. The Nuggets are the No. 1 scoring team in the NBA with 107.4 points per game, and that'll spell trouble for the Pistons, who have been battling off-court distractions as well as their losing ways.

They rank last in defensive field goal percentage, so I suspect the Nuggets will get good looks all night, and run this one up before taking off for four more road games.

Lay the points.

suicidekings
    Update your status

I was never a fan of the recent era Nuggets team, because of the predicable inconsistency (if that makes sense). The new look Nuggets are primarily composed of talented players that are all competing for playing time instead of the top 5 controlling a heavy portion of the minutes. The defense is still a bit sloppy, but they're so explosive when they get rolling. They're more fun to watch than they used to be.

Vulcan300
    Vulcan300's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10108

nice stake SK

suicidekings
    Update your status

Never. In. Doubt...

Further evidence that Denver absolutely RAPED New York on the big trade. They had 8 players in double digits tonight (plus one with 9) and JR Smith with 9 made 3pt shots...

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

great call SK, this was def the play of the night.

cockblocker
    cockblocker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I really like these new look Nuggets, one team you can count on to get a good performance from on a consistent basis.

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    Never. In. Doubt...

Further evidence that Denver absolutely RAPED New York on the big trade. They had 8 players in double digits tonight (plus one with 9) and JR Smith with 9 made 3pt shots...
    NY is doing pretty well last time i checked. Beating the Heat or the Grizz > destroying the Bobcats or the Pistons. Can't believe i'm defending the Knicks . Denver just needed the distraction gone, the front office really dragged their feet and it cost the team a lot. They got a nice package in the end but they did not handle it well. It certainly helps that they got some nice talented players but even if all they got for Melo was 1 1st round pick the team still would have gotten better imo. Its not the great package they got thats making them well as great as they are right now, its simply trading Melo who did not want to be there. Galo has hardly played due to injury and Feltons minutes are severely cut due to him coming off the bench. Its not as if the former Knicks are lighting it up for them, they had plenty of talent to begin with.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    NY is doing pretty well last time i checked. Beating the Heat or the Grizz > destroying the Bobcats or the Pistons. Can't believe i'm defending the Knicks . Denver just needed the distraction gone, the front office really dragged their feet and it cost the team a lot. They got a nice package in the end but they did not handle it well. It certainly helps that they got some nice talented players but even if all they got for Melo was 1 1st round pick the team still would have gotten better imo. Its not the great package they got thats making them well as great as they are right now, its simply trading Melo who did not want to be there. Galo has hardly played due to injury and Feltons minutes are severely cut due to him coming off the bench. Its not as if the former Knicks are lighting it up for them, they had plenty of talent to begin with.
    I have to agree with demens. Hell, the Nugs traded Melo and Billups but still had 5 guys left averaging DD in their lineup without the additions.

Degenerate
    Degenerate's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1654

thx for the play & the write up SK.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    Denver's priorities are different than New York though. The Knicks wanted to put together a team that was competitive with other big eastern teams in terms of marquee players as well as the ability to compete in the playoffs this season, seeing as Amare plus the supporting cast wasn't enough to make a push of any significance. The Nuggets gained a great deal of flexibility and put together a team that's going to be developing over the next couple of years without cutting their ability to compete now either. Galinari hasn't even played yet, and Felton is playing reduced minutes, but the team dynamic is already very different than it was, with a balanced attack that is only going to get better and better. Long term, Denver got the MUCH better deal.

I just have a much greater appreciation for and trust in teams that operate with such a balanced attack and Denver seems to be evolving in that direction (case in point, tonight's box score). New York relies on the big 3 and when a larger percentage of your scoring is coming from a smaller number of players, the variability is inherently going to go up for the team if the secondary scorers aren't getting the touches to play at their optimal level. So if Amare or Melo doesn't play (or has an off night) the replacement of those points they would normally be scoring is more difficult. The problem gets compounded when you get into the playoffs and you start focusing more and more on one-on-one matchups where those big stars will have the best defenders in the NBA locked on them all night long instead of being able to pick their spots against weaker defense. New York will fail unless they develop a more balanced attack and I haven't really seen signs of that emerging yet.
    Last edited by suicidekings; 03-13-11 at 03:06 AM.

LuissssScola
    LuissssScola's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah my eyes light up when i saw only -9.5 as well sk, denver is a cash cow right now, especially on the road compared to the old nuggets - I think being bad on the road could be blamed solely on billups/melo making this team sick value vs practically anyone in the nba if given like 4-5 pts on the road

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    I just have a much greater appreciation for and trust in teams that operate with such a balanced attack and Denver seems to be evolving in that direction (case in point, tonight's box score). New York relies on the big 3 and when a larger percentage of your scoring is coming from a smaller number of players, the variability is inherently going to go up for the team if the secondary scorers aren't getting the touches to play at their optimal level. So if Amare or Melo doesn't play (or has an off night) the replacement of those points they would normally be scoring is more difficult. The problem gets compounded when you get into the playoffs and you start focusing more and more on one-on-one matchups where those big stars will have the best defenders in the NBA locked on them all night long instead of being able to pick their spots against weaker defense. New York will fail unless they develop a more balanced attack and I haven't really seen signs of that emerging yet.

Are you saying that having 5 average scorers/players is better then having 2 elite ones come play-off time. Cause i certainly disagree with that. Denvers well balanced team will have moderate regular season success but they wont be doing anything in the play-offs. Neither will this current version of the Knicks but even though Denver may have more flexibility going forward having 2 stars beats that flexibility. It is much easier to build a team around elite guys by adding role players in spots when needed then building one where there is quality all over the roster but no stand out. A star will carry a team deeper into the play-offs then a roster full of talent without a star will.

I'm pretty sure Denver is not even gonna stick with the roster they have now. Iirc CHandler, Martin, Smith and Nene are all FA, i seriously doubt Felton is gonna be happy with the reserve role for too long. You're not gonna build a serious team in this league without a star no matter how much quality you have on the roster. Look at any team that adds a star and all of the sudden the scrubs they had that couldn't win a game are looking like legit contributors. Ultimately thats what Denver needs to do if they plan on being relevant so whatever flexibility they gain in the Melo deal they will look to use in order to get another Melo. For now they are fine and should be content with just handing around the 5th seed in the West for a few years. Unlike other teams that become bottom dwellers after losing a star. But the benefit of being a bottom dweller is getting a top pick, Den is not gonna have that opportunity and they really didn't get any picks from NY. They did get some nice young players they could posibily develop into stars like Chandler or Galo although i highly doubt that, maybe Lawson can develop into one to, again highly doubt that. So like i said, they will be fine for a few years but sooner then later they'll need to start thinking about getting themselves a new star.

They got a very good deal, but they lost a top 10 player. Knicks gave up a lot but they gain a top 10 player. I dont think its accurate to say that Denver got the better end of the deal here. I think both teams got what they wanted.