forzuto13
    forzuto13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Pygmalion effect for the Miami Heat?

If you're familiar with the phenomenon, which is a self-fulfilling prohecy of sorts, then you might agree that the Miami Heat are destined to fail against all the NBA elite for the rest of the season. Currently they are 1-8 against the NBA’s top five teams. Essentially the hypothesis states that reality can be influenced by the expectations of others. It gets into the psyches of the players and they perform accordingly to the hype. The level of confidence is destroyed.

In this sense, the Heat players knows that everyone is talking about their lack of wins against the best teams, against plus .500 teams even, and they are then unconciously creating their own destiny via the criticisms against them.

If this is true, Chicago will win tomorrow. I will gladly take five points for the Bulls. They will probably lose as well the upcoming games to the Lakers, Spurs and Thunder. I bet Denver can even beat at home.

I would love to see this play out while the Heat scramble to pick up the pieces.
    I could get rich off taking the opponents in the right scenarios then. We'll see...

JoMoney2785
    JoMoney2785's Avatar Become A Pro!

haha very interesting statement. cant say i disagree. there is just so much pressure on these guys and i think they struggle down the stretch

CK
    CK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

I can definitely see something like this happening, and was leaning on taking a stab at Bulls ML tomorrow (currently +188 at Pinny). At least in the short term, after 2 bad losses against Orlando and San Antonio, really don't see them turning it around this quickly.

Only tough spot is that Bulls are generally unreliable on the road, but they had a good win the other night @Orlando, so could pounce all over the Heat. If Bulls get out to an early lead, I could see the crowd turning on the Heat, and then it easily turning into a downward-spiral for the rest of the game.

nulldah
    nulldah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

i guess when there is statistic view of a game, then there will be psychology view of it too

will happily take bulls, though. i dont see heat have any extra motivation to win this game

forzuto13

Yeah, and Bulls have had to prove that they are worthy of Championship by starting to take big games on the road. I see that happening again, just like in Orlando the other day.

Things tend to work in patterns it seems. This pattern is getting into the minds of the players. They cannot help it. Think how long the Wizards went before winning on the road, and the Cavs went before winning a game period. Even though they played hard games and thought they were trying to win. It was the self-fulfilling prophecy they didn't know was stronger than their intentions.

Eating Bookies
    Useful idiot
    Eating Bookies's Avatar Become A Pro!

If the Heat loses today, I wonder if Riley will take over.

twelvejewelz
    twelvejewelz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Eating Bookies View Post
    If the Heat loses today, I wonder if Riley will take over.
    I hope so cause thats really what they need. Someone really needs to take control and its certainly not the players that needs more control..

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

how are the heat still favorites everywhere? they might win by five, but they shouldn't be favored by five that's for sure. i'll gamble and take the bulls +5

forzuto13

Yeah, it's crazy, they are essentially favored by 8 at home, including the 3 pts they get.
    Weird line. I guess the lines makers think that the Heat will be super determined to not let another loss occur at home in front of the millions of Americans watching the game on network televsion. I think the Bulls got this one too. I'll take the points as insurance. But they cover either way.

doe
    doe's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by forzuto13 View Post
    Yeah, it's crazy, they are essentially favored by 8 at home, including the 3 pts they get.
    Weird line. I guess the lines makers t hink that the Heat will be super determined to not let another loss occur at home in front of the millions of Americans watching the game on network televsion. I think the Bulls got this one too. I'll take the points as insurance. But they cover either way.
    If you taken bulls I'm taken heat large

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Weird line. I guess the lines makers think that the Heat will be super determined to not let another loss occur at home in front of the millions of Americans watching the game on network televsion. I think the Bulls got this one too. I'll take the points as insurance. But they cover either way.
    Linesmakers don't give a shit, they know the squares are all over the Heat no matter what, all they need to do is sell a story to the public and make their money.

The smart thing to do is NOT risk your money on a team that is demoralized like this, there are other games to bet for those who want to make money rather than the thrill.

forzuto13

That can only be the reason why the line is so inflated. I mean, Miami was in Chicago not too long ago and Chicago was getting 2.5 points or whatever, at home!

Crazy adjustment either way. I guess it must be that Chicago still hasn't completely proven themselves as road warriors...

forzuto13

Wow. Another bust for Miami. Good stuff Bulls! Miami needs counseling services I think, to overcome this psychological impediment.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Wow. Another bust for Miami. Good stuff Bulls! Miami needs counseling services I think, to overcome this psychological impediment.

63 mins, 2-12 6Pts, 8Reb,0As, 5TO -- thats not a 'self fulfilling prophecy' that a terrible bench that is killing this team.

it not whether than can overcome a psychological impediment, its whether the talent of Lebron/Wade/Bosh can overcome the wasteland that is the rest of the roster.

MB
    MB's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    63 mins, 2-12 6Pts, 8Reb,0As, 5TO -- thats not a 'self fulfilling prophecy' that a terrible bench that is killing this team.

it not whether than can overcome a psychological impediment, its whether the talent of Lebron/Wade/Bosh can overcome the wasteland that is the rest of the roster.
    Can't complain about having no bench when 3 guys take up the teams role player cap space

forzuto13

Even with this San Antonio meltdown going on right now I still bet they beat Miami this week.

forzuto13

Portland wins! Next up a win for Lakers in Miami. Watch how this goes...

Borat38
    Borat38's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Wonderful. The books still love MIA. The "big bounceback" angle is still selling well w/ the public.

forzuto13

I sure hope Lakers are gonna be small dogs at least on Thursday. I'll take them for sure!

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14425

forzuto13

And now it seems that some of the players are suffering from depression. You know, crying, skulking about, heads hanging low, and a dwindling future ahead. No immediate remedy for their most recent trials and tribulations.

Perhaps they are already getting some CBT (cognitive behavorial therapy), cuz whatever plan they had envisioned before the Portland game didn't help at all I'd say. And a big scary monster is around the corner and coming to try to overtake them... again... at home! AHHAHAH!!

I tell you, the mind is greater than the body. It will be until they fight the good fight, the hard fight. Maybe some blood will flow. Maybe soom more crying. I don't know. BUt they will need this emotional resolve to break the spell that has already been cast. Go Lakers on TNT Thursday!!!!!!