Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Jazz crowd will be rooting for Phoenix tonight

Suns score 110+

+6 or +6.5 is nice.. value in ML +230

Deron Williams also has been struggling since returning from a four-game absence due to a wrist injury. He's shot below 40 percent in three of the last four games while totaling 16 turnovers, including five Wednesday.

TIME: 10:30 P.M. EST
    VENUE: EnergySolutions Arena
    More than two decades ago, Jerry Sloan became the sixth coach in Utah Jazz history. On Friday night, a new face will patrol the sidelines.
    After Sloan's shocking resignation, the Jazz will be led by Tyrone Corbin when they host the Phoenix Suns.
    On Thursday, less than 24 hours after Utah (31-23) lost for the 10th time in 14 games with a 91-86 setback to Chicago, the 68-year-old Sloan stepped down saying he had run out of energy to coach.
    Oddly, Sloan had agreed to a one-year extension Monday, but leaves as the longest-tenured coach among the four major professional North American sports, taking over when Frank Layden resigned on Dec. 9, 1988. A former player who spent 10 seasons with the Bulls in the 1960s and 1970s, Sloan recorded 1,127 wins and made two NBA finals appearances with the Jazz.
    "I had a feeling this time was the time to move on," an emotional Sloan said. "(That's) a long time to be in one organization. Again, I've been blessed. Today is a new day. When I get this over with, I'll feel better. My time is up and it's time to move on."
    Sloan's 1,221 career wins are third in the NBA behind Don Nelson (1,335) and Lenny Wilkens (1,332).
    Despite the Jazz's recent struggles - and amid rumors of a rift with star point guard Deron Williams - Sloan and team officials insisted the longtime coach wasn't forced out. Williams told a local radio station there was a clash with Sloan at halftime Wednesday, but nothing more.
    "I would never force coach Sloan out of Utah. He's meant more to this town, more to this organization than I have by far. I would have asked out of Utah first," Williams said.
    Corbin, an assistant and former player under Sloan, takes over after team officials made it clear there is no interim tag next to his name.
    With 28 games to play, Utah is tied with Denver for sixth in the Western Conference. The Jazz have dropped three straight at EnergySolutions Arena, where they're 17-11 after averaging seven home losses per season from 2007-10.
    Corbin debut comes against the Suns, who have won three straight from Utah. The Jazz fell 110-94 at home to Phoenix on Oct. 28 as Williams was held to 13 points on 3-of-12 shooting.
    Williams also has been struggling since returning from a four-game absence due to a wrist injury. He's shot below 40 percent in three of the last four games while totaling 16 turnovers, including five Wednesday.
    Phoenix (25-25) will be looking to move above .500 for the first time since Dec. 7. The Suns have won five of six, including a home-and-home sweep of Golden State capped with a 112-88 win Thursday.
    Steve Nash finished with 18 points and 11 assists before sitting out the fourth quarter and Channing Frye had 17 points and nine rebounds.
    The Suns made it a blowout with a 20-0 run, scoring the last 14 points of the first half and first six of the second, to go up 71-42. Phoenix led by as many as 33 in the fourth quarter.
    "We'd like to be at about .650 but we have a lot of work to do," Phoenix coach Alvin Gentry said. "I thought we did a good job. We took care of business right from the start."
    The Suns shot 12 of 22 from 3-point range and have connected on 44.7 percent of their shots from beyond the arc over the last three games while averaging 107.7 points.
    Nash and Hakim Warrick each had a team-high 18 points in the win at Utah in October.

Snowball

glad my book still had +6.5 up.
    bought the hook to +7
    and took ML @ 230

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I'm on the opposite side, Snow. I think the Jazz players prove a point tonight against a weakening Phoenix team.

Pensinger1
    Pensinger1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jazz will crush the suns tonight. Crush them.

zogdog
    zogdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

No coincidences is right. When teams change coaches they usually come to play with more energy. I like the Jazz tonight.

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Quote Originally Posted by zogdog View Post
    No coincidences is right. When teams change coaches they usually come to play with more energy. I like the Jazz tonight.
    Thats a very simpleton assumption you're making, be careful with that. The better play and more energy is not always a direct result of simply making a change. What many fans dont know is that often times the timing of when a coaching change is made is very deliberate and planned out in advance. A big factor that management considers is the schedule and they try to make the change when a friendly part of it comes up. So when a team gives that extra effort and plays with more energy it can actually result in a win since they are playing a weaker opponent. It gives off a perception of instant gratification and hopefully the teams can build momentum and continue to play better. That isn't always the case. Mike Fertello gave an awesome break down about this the other day when the Nets faced Indiana.

In Utahs case this doesn't exactly come off as something planned. Yeah everyone is saying that its been brewing but you have to think there is more truth to the reports of intense player arguments. Even if the management is denying it you really have to be obviously to think Jerry Sloan would just decide to quit like this, there was something very wrong behind the scenes and Utah is an organization that unlike most, knows how to keep their private shit behind closed doors.

I wouldn't go as far as saying their fans are gonna cheer for the Suns but there is no doubt they are pissed about this and they had Sloans back. Its no guarantee how the players will react to this as well, while they had problems with individuals i think the team as whole had Sloans back too. So while DWill might be happy and go for 40 tonight doesn;t mean that guys like Milsap, AK, Bell or CJ Miles are happy about this. Very stinky situation that can potentially cause a division in the team. Not saying Suns will trash them but this isn't the typical situation in which "usually" teams respond positive after a coaching change.

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Demens I am leaning towards not playing the game because I want to just sit back and watch however I strongly believe these guys AK47, CJ, Millsap will want to send Sloan off. I know he won't be on the sideline but I still maintain they will be farewelling Sloan tonight.

Hopefully the crowd put aside any hate and turn up to celebrate Sloan's fantastic career.

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    I'm on the opposite side, Snow. I think the Jazz players prove a point tonight against a weakening Phoenix team.
    how are the Suns weakening ?
    they have won last 5 of 6.
    i actually think they are starting to click.

well, we know all the facts.. different sides is what
    makes it a bet.

Deep_Rest
    Deep_Rest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10319

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post

Thats a very simpleton assumption you're making, be careful with that. The better play and more energy is not always a direct result of simply making a change. What many fans dont know is that often times the timing of when a coaching change is made is very deliberate and planned out in advance. A big factor that management considers is the schedule and they try to make the change when a friendly part of it comes up. So when a team gives that extra effort and plays with more energy it can actually result in a win since they are playing a weaker opponent. It gives off a perception of instant gratification and hopefully the teams can build momentum and continue to play better. That isn't always the case. Mike Fertello gave an awesome break down about this the other day when the Nets faced Indiana.

In Utahs case this doesn't exactly come off as something planned. Yeah everyone is saying that its been brewing but you have to think there is more truth to the reports of intense player arguments. Even if the management is denying it you really have to be obviously to think Jerry Sloan would just decide to quit like this, there was something very wrong behind the scenes and Utah is an organization that unlike most, knows how to keep their private shit behind closed doors.

I wouldn't go as far as saying their fans are gonna cheer for the Suns but there is no doubt they are pissed about this and they had Sloans back. Its no guarantee how the players will react to this as well, while they had problems with individuals i think the team as whole had Sloans back too. So while DWill might be happy and go for 40 tonight doesn;t mean that guys like Milsap, AK, Bell or CJ Miles are happy about this. Very stinky situation that can potentially cause a division in the team. Not saying Suns will trash them but this isn't the typical situation in which "usually" teams respond positive after a coaching change.
    Nice one. I agree. The other resignation, Larry Brown, seems similar to your argument. He stepped down a few days before Christmas and the Bobcats weren't due to play until after the holidays. So Silas gets like 5 day (if they practiced on Christmas) window to whip his team into shape. Then, according to the NBA schedule, they beat Detroit and Cleveland before losing to GS. Not very impressive. The Jazz are obviously better than the Bobcats, but betting on them tonight seems foolish. Especially since they are 6 point favorites. If the spread was 3 or under, I'd take Utah easily, but with the amount of points PHX typically scores, this can easily go down to the wire.

Snowball

have any of you guys checked on the Jazz fans pulse ?
    blogs and radio are full of tremendously upset fans.
    they feel like Deron killed their grandfather.
    Jazz fans did not want this and are royally put off.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Demons, you and I have had some differences but I would be remiss not to acknowledge your intelligence, attention to detail, and overall basketball IQ. I agreed with every point you made. Very well articualted, nice job.

In the end I have no idea the reaction the jazz will have collectively. I know D. Williams is happy, but I also read that Sloan didn't lose the team. Sloan lost Williams, but from what I read everybody from the players to the coaches, to the suits was still in Sloans corner. How could you not be? Rather you agreed with Sloans coaching or philosophy you had to respect a man of his background and track record that had integrity and class. NBA is a lesser place without Sloan. I think he quit because he grew tired of the "NBA" not basketball, but the "NBA" and for better or worse as much as i admire D. Williams talent he is a product of the "NBA"

JA. Adande wrote a very nice piece on this worth the read. Detailing the NBA....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...nadande-110210

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

I would not play the Suns soley because I felt the Jazz would have a disconnect tonite. If anything I have learned these are truly professionals and no matter what there feelings are about other business off the court they way more times than not put that to bed when the ball is dropped and give the effort it takes to win. Do they always? NO, nothing is always but even if Williams teammates are pissed about this I expect them to show up. However, saying that the Suns are worth a play anyways due to there current form and "if" some of the jazz players are feeling sorry for themselves you will have an easy winner imo.

demens
    Square -910

Adande touched on it just briefly, todays NBA is all about player power. The nonsense we've seen with Lebron and the Heat is continuing with Melo and will continue with Howard, Williams and Paul when their time comes. In my mind, this is the saddest motherfucking thing about basketball, and thats that there is no place for guys like Sloan in todays league anymore. The respect demanding types that will never bend over on a superstar players whim. And i think they are systematically being eliminated 1 by 1. Thats why i'm cheering for the owners in this upcoming CBA battle. You can't let the inmates run the asylum even if that means a year without basketball. The era of superpower agents, William Welsleys and all that bullshit needs to stop.

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

Jazz are the right bet here.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    how are the Suns weakening ?
    they have won last 5 of 6.
    i actually think they are starting to click.

well, we know all the facts.. different sides is what
    makes it a bet.
    I know Phoenix has been playing well lately, but the trade weakened them. It's not like they've been beating a slew of playoff teams during this recent streak, either. Nice win over Boston, but they beat struggling New Orleans, Golden State twice and Milwaukee.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Adande touched on it just briefly, todays NBA is all about player power. The nonsense we've seen with Lebron and the Heat is continuing with Melo and will continue with Howard, Williams and Paul when their time comes. In my mind, this is the saddest motherfucking thing about basketball, and thats that there is no place for guys like Sloan in todays league anymore. The respect demanding types that will never bend over on a superstar players whim. And i think they are systematically being eliminated 1 by 1. Thats why i'm cheering for the owners in this upcoming CBA battle. You can't let the inmates run the asylum even if that means a year without basketball. The era of superpower agents, William Welsleys and all that bullshit needs to stop.
    Well said.

NBA has lost a lot of popularity because of it. LeBron's the face of the "new NBA" -- where Spoelstra is the head coach of a serious contender.

Snowball

I know Phoenix has been playing well lately, but the trade weakened them.
    funny, i think the trade strengthened them.

demens
    Square -910

I also think the trade made them better. Orlando is the team that was a loser in that deal.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    funny, i think the trade strengthened them.
    Adding Vince Cancer never "strengthens" a team IMHO.

Snowball

i guess the line is stuck at 6..
    still planning to watch for late LM
    over an hour before tip
    just Bodog at 5.5

bozeman
    bozeman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5145

guys when have suns arrived to salt lake? This morning? Or right after the game? if yesterday, they might be awful tired after a long day, what do you think?

Snowball

they must have flown today..
    i'll check...
    Last edited by Snowball; 02-11-11 at 08:37 PM.

bozeman
    bozeman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5145

thanks snowball

Snowball

http://twitter.com/SteveNash

Big game tonight on a back to back. Need to get above .500. Who's in?! less than 20 seconds ago via Echofon

note: Phoenix led by as much as 33 last night, sitting starters all 4th Q.

4th QtrTIMESCORETEAMPLAY11:4161-88PHOMarcin Gortat made Hook Shot11:2461-88GSBrandan Wright missed Turnaround Jump Shot11:20 PHODefensive Rebound by Marcin 11:2011:08 PHOLost ball turnover on Hakim Warrick, Stolen by Brandan Wright10:5761-88GSEkpe Udoh missed Jump Shot10:53 PHODefensive Rebound by Marcin 10:5310:4961-91PHOJared Dudley made 3-pt. Jump Shot, Assist Zabian Dowdell10:34 PHOPersonal foul on Mickael Pietrus10:2861-91GSJeremy Lin missed Jump Shot10:24 PHODefensive Rebound by Hakim 10:2410:2161-91PHOMickael Pietrus missed 3-pt. Jump Shot10:16 GSDefensive Rebound by Ekpe 10:1610:0961-91GSJeremy Lin missed Layup, Blocked by Zabian Dowdell10:0761-91GSReggie Williams missed Jump Shot10:02 PHODefensive Rebound by Zabian 10:029:5961-93PHOZabian Dowdell made Jump Shot9:39 PHOAway From Play foul on Marcin Gortat9:3664-93GSCharlie Bell made 3-pt. Jump Shot, Assist Reggie Williams9:2364-93PHOMarcin Gortat missed Jump Shot, Blocked by Brandan Wright9:18 GSDefensive Rebound by Charlie 9:189:1664-93GSCharlie Bell missed Layup9:09 GSOffensive Rebound by Reggie 9:099:0866-93GSReggie Williams made Slam Dunk8:5966-93PHOHakim Warrick missed Jump Shot8:55 GSDefensive Rebound by Reggie 8:558:43 PHOPersonal foul on Zabian Dowdell8:43 Official Timeout8:4367-93GSReggie Williams made 1st of 2 Free Throws8:4368-93GSReggie Williams made 2nd of 2 Free Throws8:28 GSPersonal foul on Charlie Bell8:2168-93PHOZabian Dowdell missed Jump Shot8:17 GSDefensive Rebound by Brandan 8:178:1170-93GSEkpe Udoh made Slam Dunk, Assist Brandan Wright7:48 GSPersonal foul on Reggie Williams7:47 PHO5-second violation turnover on Mickael Pietrus7:4270-93GSJeremy Lin missed Jump Shot7:37 PHODefensive Rebound by Zabian 7:377:3270-93PHOMickael Pietrus missed 3-pt. Jump Shot7:26 GSDefensive Rebound by Reggie 7:267:2473-93GSCharlie Bell made 3-pt. Jump Shot, Assist Reggie Williams7:1373-93PHOZabian Dowdell missed Tip-in 7:09 PHOOffensive Rebound by Hakim 7:097:0773-95PHOHakim Warrick made Slam Dunk6:5675-95GSEkpe Udoh made Slam Dunk, Assist Reggie Williams6:53 PHOFull Timeout6:4275-97PHOHakim Warrick made Jump Shot6:14 PHOShooting foul on Mickael Pietrus6:1475-97GSReggie Williams missed 1st of 3 Free Throws6:1476-97GSReggie Williams made 2nd of 3 Free Throws6:1477-97GSReggie Williams made 3rd of 3 Free Throws6:0177-97PHOHakim Warrick missed Jump Shot5:55 GSDefensive Rebound by Charlie 5:555:5077-97GSReggie Williams missed 3-pt. Jump Shot5:44 PHOPersonal foul on Marcin Gortat5:4477-97GSEkpe Udoh missed 1st of 2 Free Throws5:4477-97GSEkpe Udoh missed 2nd of 2 Free Throws5:44 PHODefensive Rebound by Hakim 5:445:29 PHOLost ball turnover on Marcin Gortat, Stolen by Ekpe Udoh5:2179-97GSBrandan Wright made Layup, Assist Jeremy Lin5:21 PHOShooting foul on Josh Childress5:2179-97GSBrandan Wright missed Free Throw5:21 PHODefensive Rebound by Marcin 5:215:0679-99PHOZabian Dowdell made Jump Shot4:3779-99GSCharlie Bell missed 3-pt. Jump Shot, Blocked by Mickael Pietrus4:37 GS24-second shotclock violaton turnover on Charlie Bell4:1179-101PHOJosh Childress made Slam Dunk, Assist Mickael Pietrus4:01 PHODefensive 3-second Technical foul on Garret Siler4:0179-101GSJeremy Lin missed Technical Free Throw3:5579-101GSJeremy Lin missed Jump Shot3:51 PHODefensive Rebound by Josh 3:513:43 GSShooting foul on Ekpe Udoh3:4379-102PHOGarret Siler made 1st of 2 Free Throws3:4379-103PHOGarret Siler made 2nd of 2 Free Throws3:30 PHODefensive 3-second Technical foul on Garret Siler3:3080-103GSReggie Williams made Technical Free Throw3:2482-103GSEkpe Udoh made Jump Shot, Assist Reggie Williams2:59 PHOBack court violation turnover on Zabian Dowdell2:59 GSFull Timeout2:4782-103GSCharlie Bell missed 3-pt. Jump Shot2:41 GSOffensive Rebound by Ekpe 2:412:4084-103GSEkpe Udoh made Jump Shot2:27 PHOLost ball turnover on Josh Childress2:1986-103GSEkpe Udoh made Turnaround Jump Shot, Assist Brandan Wright1:5886-103PHOZabian Dowdell missed Jump Shot1:52 PHOOffensive Rebound by Zabian 1:521:5086-105PHOZabian Dowdell made Jump Shot1:3686-105GSEkpe Udoh missed Layup1:31 GSOffensive Rebound by Brandan 1:311:3086-105GSBrandan Wright missed Layup1:22 PHODefensive Rebound by Garret 1:221:1886-105PHOHakim Warrick missed Jump Shot, Blocked by Charlie Bell1:12 PHOOffensive Rebound by Zabian 1:121:1086-107PHOJosh Childress made Layup, Assist Zabian Dowdell53.0 GSLost ball turnover on Ekpe Udoh, Stolen by Hakim Warrick47.086-109PHOMickael Pietrus made Layup, Assist Hakim Warrick37.088-109GSEkpe Udoh made Layup23.088-111PHOGarret Siler made Layup, Assist Zabian Dowdell5.0 GSBad pass turnover on Charlie Bell0.0End of period.

slimstevie
    slimstevie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 294

im laying off the side and taking the over 209 and a prop bet of Millsap over 18.5 points

demens
    Square -910

I'm starting to think B2Bs aren't always about being tired. More about the routine guys go through on the day of the game, practice, shootaround, food, etc. And those things dont depend on whether the day before was a blow out and the starters sat or not.

manu4life
    manu4life's Avatar Become A Pro!

Adding Vince Cancer never "strengthens" a team IMHO.
    lmao

Snowball

sweet karma

$$$$$$$$$$

drfunkmaster
    printing it
    drfunkmaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1065

good job...

thunderingherd23
    thunderingherd23's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am a Jazz fan and I too was rooting for Phx tonight

AZ*SUN*iBET4FUN
    Go CARDS!!!
    AZ*SUN*iBET4FUN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Suns are HOT HOT HOT, They Keep Playing D and Keep Hitting those UNDERS!!

aznjeff07
    aznjeff07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 710

can't believe phx won after that shiet first half. w is a w though

demens
    Square -910

Suns need to be getting more respect.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner