sweetjones55
    554-381 (59.2%) NBA/WNBA/Football Record
    sweetjones55's Avatar Become A Pro!

HEAT is the play tomorrow

Heat +2 LOCKED (x5)

I am rolling with the Heat tomorrow who will be playing the Magic on the road. The Heat and that Magic have already played twice this year. The Heat crushed Orlando 96-70 in the first meeting in Miami. The Magic then hosted the Heat and beat them by 9. Big thing here is that both games were pre-trade for Orlando.

The Heat are coming into this game with some confidence having won three games in a row, vs DET @OKC and vs Clev. They didn't have Wade or Bosh vs Detroit and beat them by 1. They then got the big 3 back for OKC and beat them by 5 on the road which was their second biggest road win this year and they then crushed Clev by 27 points. The Big 3 have been very effective since reuniting going off for 75 @OKC and 68 vs Cleveland.

The Big 3 is going to have a field day tomorrow. This is a HUGE mismatch for Orlando. Brandon Bass is OUT for Orlando which means the Magic have no true PF/C on the roster other than Howard. The only backup C/PF they have is Malik Allen who plays very soft is questionable with a knee injury and he is really bad to begin with. This means the Magic lineup will be Nelson PG, Q RICH SG, J RICH SF, Turkoglu PF, Howard C. Wade will toy with Q RICH. J RICH has no shot of stopping LeBron. And the biggest mismatch is going to be Turkoglu who is a true SF trying to stop Bosh. There will be constant mismatches on the floor and the Magic won't be able to double team anyone because even if you double LeBron then you got Wade 1 on or Bosh 1 on 1 etc. I expect 75 points minimum from the Big 3 tomorrow. Mike Miller, Chalmers, Jones and House should hit some 3's tomorrow vs Orlando. Joel Anthony should be a presence defensively and on the offensive boards as he has been a lot lately. He even did a decent job on Amare and should be able to contain Howard better than most players. Joel Anthony is averaging over 2 blocks a game his last 7 games. He had 5 blocks @ OKC in only 27 minutes. Mike Miller has been a force on the glass averaging 9 rebounds a game since getting significant minutes.

Brandon Bass was huge for Orlando in their win vs Miami. He was 8-13 from the field and hit 8 free throws for 24 points. He will not be playing tomorrow night. The Magic have been really struggling lately and have had some really terrible defense for stretches through games. They lost @MEM despite having a big lead. They lost @CHI despite leading at half by 5. They even lost to Detroit at home by 7 points. They are just 3-3 their last 6 games. Their bench is really hurting right now with JJ Reddick out as well. The bench last game was Ryan Anderson, Arenas, Q RICH, and Duhon. All those guys are basically guards and they all do the same thing, shoot 3's. This team is just not that good right now honestly. I believe Heat should be favored by about 3 points in this game. The odds of Orlando hitting all those 3's is highly unlikely considering Miami is ranked #1 defensively vs 3 pointers. Howard will get his points but it won't be enough just like it wasn't enough vs Chicago. He scored 40 points and grabbed 15 rebounds and still lost by 9.

Another thing on this game. When Dwight Howard is not in the game, the Magic will have ZERO shot blockers. The Magic will have to take him out eventually but Wade or James is ALWAYS in the game. Usually Magic take out Dwight beginning of 2nd and 4th. Heat take out Wade end of 1st and put him back in the 2nd or do the same thing but with LeBron. When Howard is out they are going to drive to the basket constantly and either get fouled or finish pretty easily. Also if Howard gets in foul trouble, Magic are all but done. Even if Howard does play the entire game, by the 4th quarter he will probably be gassed and he won't be effective enough late to pull off the win. He is only shooting 59% FT's which could really hurt them. Orlando is the 2nd worst free throw shooting team in the NBA, that could prove very costly if this game goes down to the wire.

In the last game in Orlando, the Heat only shot 41% FG, 22% 3PT and were outrebounded but despite all of that the Heat came back from down double digits to take the lead in the 4th quarter by 1 with just 6 minutes left. The Heat at the time were playing terribly coming off a home loss to Indiana. I think if the Heat could hang with the Magic at that time when they were playing poorly that they should be able to win this game now that the Magic are playing much worse and the Heat are playing much better. The Heat have had several games lately shooting above 40% from 3's, despite only shooting 40% from the field at the time vs Orlando in that prior game. Orlando has given up 38.6% from 3's the last 3 games so I expect the Heat to shoot fairly well from the outside.

Line opened up Heat +2.5 and the early money has already pounded it down to +1.5 some places (bookmaker being one). Take into mind that the original line last game in Orlando was -4 and quickly got pounded up to -5.5. So this line actually opened up 1.5 points lower and moved in the opposite direction a full point in a very short time frame the day before the game.

Wow, I am not sure a better group of referees could have been picked out for this Heat/Magic team.

The head referee tonight is Bill Spooner. He is the #6 road ref (out of 65) in the NBA at 23-16 ATS for road teams. His home team W/L SU is almost close to even which is very rare at 21-18.

Derrick Collins is also reffing and he is the #2 road ref with a 23-12-3 ATS for the road team.

Scott wall also slightly favors road teams with a 17-16 ATS for road teams. It's really rare to have two of the top 10 refs in the NBA favoring the road teams. The refs combined are 67-45-3 (60%) for road teams ATS.

Quotes/tidbigs about this game,

To LeBron, facing Orlando seemed like a much bigger deal.
    "Can't just sit here and say it's any old game," James said. "Because it's not."

And being an Orlando team that basically said a lot of things about us in the offseason, that definitely adds a little bit to the fire.”

Van Gundy said Brandon Bass is out Thursday and could miss the next five games with a sprained left ankle. Forward Malik Allen still hasn't played since spraining his left ankle Dec. 20 and J.J. Redick took it light in practice Wednesday with a sore left shoulder. Even reserve forward Earl Clark was sent home with a high fever.
    Last edited by sweetjones55; 02-03-11 at 09:02 AM.
    Points Awarded:

fezfezed gave sweetjones55 20 SBR Point(s) for this post.

nyed1010 gave sweetjones55 30 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bob Loblaw gave sweetjones55 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Vinotinto, nyed1010, and TR88

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

LeBron's going to go nuts in this game.

BL
    BL's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like it

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Couldn't agree more.

Lebron's comments below.

MIAMI (AP) -- LeBron James gave a sympathetic nod to his past, then looked eagerly toward his immediate future.
    First, quiet words of support for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
    Then, a not-so-subtle message sent to the Orlando Magic.
    After the Miami Heat beat his former Cleveland franchise on Monday night, James offered a reminder that he's still scorned by things that were said about him last summer when he left the Cavaliers and joined Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in South Florida.
    But the target wasn't Cleveland -- where people burned his jerseys.
    It was Orlando -- the franchise that questioned his competitiveness.
    So when the Heat next play Thursday at the Magic, chances are it'll be a game that has a little bit of extra meaning for both sides.
    "The simple fact that it's a division opponent, that means a lot," James said. "Trying to win your division is very key. And also playing exceptionally well on the road is definitely key. That definitely helps later on in the season. And being an Orlando team that basically said a lot of things about us in the offseason, that definitely adds a little bit to the fire."
    What James was referring to was the back-and-forth sparked by something Magic President Otis Smith said last July, just after the three stars aligned in Miami.
    Smith's quote: "I thought he was, I guess, more of a competitor."
    Heat President Pat Riley responded by saying that was an "absolutely stupid" remark. Magic coach Stan Van Gundy jumped in by wondering why Riley thought it was his place to make moral judgments. By the time the teams actually got around to playing in October, things cooled to a simmer, though James' comment Monday night served notice that all has not been forgotten.
    "We're looking forward to the challenge," James said.
    Miami will take a 3 1/2-game lead in the Southeast Division over the Magic into Thursday's matchup. Both teams are off until then. It'll be the third meeting of the season; the first two were split, each club winning at home.
    It's way too early to talk about magic numbers: If Miami wins, it would need a combination of 29 more victories and Magic losses to eliminate Orlando from the division race.
    Nonetheless, it's a big game, if for no other reason than Miami has lost nine of its last 11 games in Orlando.
    "Should be fun," James said.
    The fact that James had some sharp words to say after Monday's game was no surprise.
    The fact that he didn't direct them toward Cleveland was.
    James had plenty of opportunities to kick the downtrodden franchise he scorned last summer, both before and after the Heat sent the Cavaliers to their 21st straight loss. Instead, he wished the fans and the franchise well, said he carried no ill will for how the aftermath of "The Decision" played out, and even pulled Cleveland's Manny Harris aside for an on-court pep talk after the game.
    They've known each other since Harris was in high school, but the Cavs' rookie was still surprised by the gesture, which came just after the final buzzer.
    "He was probably one of the first guys who did it all year," Harris said.
    Still, James found himself in the midst of yet another batch of criticism on Monday. He was lounging at home with longtime girlfriend Savannah Brinson before the Cleveland game, watching television analysts discuss the final moments of Miami's win at Oklahoma City on Sunday.
    The deciding play of that game came with less than 10 seconds remaining. With Miami down by one, Mike Miller got a key offensive rebound and sent the ball out to James, who quickly passed to Eddie House for an open 3-pointer. House made the shot, Miami went ahead to stay ... and James found himself criticized anyway for not taking the shot himself.
    "Either play is the right play," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "For our team right now, that extra pass was absolutely a poignant moment. It really was."
    James had given the ball up to House two nights earlier in another key end-of-game situation, and House came through then as well to help Miami beat Detroit. Plus, the buzzword for the Heat of late has been "trust" -- and James said making the extra pass with the game on the line showed the trust he had in teammates like House.
    Given all that, James found the reaction offered by some analysts after the play in Oklahoma City comical.
    "I know how the game is played," James said. "Most times, the guy that is making comments has never, ever, ever been in that situation, so they wouldn't know what to do. So it's not a big deal."
    To him, facing Orlando seemed like a much bigger deal.
    "Can't just sit here and say it's any old game," James said. "Because it's not."

sweetjones55

Nice to see the two guys, BL/LYON, I respect the most in the NBA liking the play.

sweetjones55

I am upping the play to 5 UNITS.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

I'm taking the team from Florida.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Actually think this is an easier game for the Heat than the Thunder was. Thunder had Durant, Westbrook, and Green played well also. Who is going to provide scoring for the Magic other than Howard? Who is going to provide defense other than Howard? What the fukk happens to the Magic if Howard is in foul trouble?? I don't like the Magic's chances to win this game. In order for the Magic to win they need Howard to be dominant and to get a very good offensive effort from at least two other guys. Doesn't seem likely that the Magic would/could have 3 players that perform at a high level offensively against the Heat.... Not to mention Orlando's suspect "D"

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

This is a bigger game for the Magic than it is for the Heat.

ReiNNNN
    ReiNNNN's Avatar Become A Pro!

once again. extremely detailed review and nice job. will be following on u

sweetjones55

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    This is a bigger game for the Magic than it is for the Heat.
    Heat want this win just as badly as the Magic do. Trying to bet the game based on a prediction of the effort is pointless. Both teams are going to bring their 100% A game tomorrow night.

sweetjones55

Line now down to +1.5 Heat almost everywhere, down a full point from the opener of +2.5.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

I think books either screwed up here or know something we don't. No Brandon Bass or JJ REdick tomorrow for the Magic.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

Quote Originally Posted by Pauulzcappin View Post
    I think books either screwed up here or know something we don't. No Brandon Bass or JJ REdick tomorrow for the Magic.

talking about worthless.

raiders510
    raiders510's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

call me crazy, i think the magic is the play tomorrow. I won't be laying any money on this game...good luck

Pauulzcappin

Quote Originally Posted by broadway6 View Post
    talking about worthless.
    JJ Reddick as amazing as it may sound, is a big stopper on the offensive end. Usually makes shots when the team goes cold and continues a hot shooting streak.

IF he played against MEmphis I think Orlando woulda won the game.

sweetjones55

JJ Reddick as amazing as it may sound, is a big stopper on the offensive end. Usually makes shots when the team goes cold and continues a hot shooting streak.

IF he played against MEmphis I think Orlando woulda won the game.
    JJ Reddick is far from worthless. He hit the biggest shot of the year closing out the Celtics late in the Christmas game. He is hurt though and didn't play last game and didn't practice so I don't expect him to be too big a factor.

sweetjones55

Another thing on this game. When Dwight Howard is not in the game, the Magic will have ZERO shot blockers. The Magic will have to take him out eventually but Wade or James is ALWAYS in the game. Usually Magic take out Dwight beginning of 2nd and 4th. Heat take out Wade end of 1st and put him back in the 2nd or do the same thing but with LeBron. When Howard is out they are going to drive to the basket constantly and either get fouled or finish pretty easily. Also if Howard gets in foul trouble, Magic are all but done.

goldengreek
    goldengreek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3939

We usually dont disagree.. But the line is telling me orlando as of now

sweetjones55

Quote Originally Posted by goldengreek View Post
    We usually dont disagree.. But the line is telling me orlando as of now
    If Orlando opened up last game vs the Heat at Magic -4 and quickly jumped to Magic -5 in less than one hour, why in the world would this Magic -2.5 line that quickly jumped to Magic -1.5 tell you Orlando is the play???
    Last edited by sweetjones55; 02-02-11 at 06:16 PM.

sweetjones55

Added to my writeup, Orlando is the 2nd worst free throw shooting team in the NBA, that could prove very costly if this game goes down to the wire.

gv12
    gv12's Avatar Become A Pro!

good luck with the Heat play SJ, looks solid

Pauulzcappin

Sj, Heat can get Howard in foul trouble real fast.

Since their guards can't stop Wade/Lebron's drives, I'm pretty sure Howard will try to outwork himself to stop them and that may get to him early, making Orlando play Malik Allen at 5.

Now you talked about it, I think you are right about the line. Last time out Orlando opened as a 4 point-favorite and blew them out. Why'd they open at 2 now?

sweetjones55

Sj, Heat can get Howard in foul trouble real fast.

Since their guards can't stop Wade/Lebron's drives, I'm pretty sure Howard will try to outwork himself to stop them and that may get to him early, making Orlando play Malik Allen at 5.

Now you talked about it, I think you are right about the line. Last time out Orlando opened as a 4 point-favorite and blew them out. Why'd they open at 2 now?
    Orlando has changed their team a lot and the line is a product of on court results as of late. Heat are playing much better and Orlando is playing terribly right now. Injury to Bass also hurts Orlando and brings the line down a bit.

You are correct no one can stop Wade/LeBron from getting into the paint. So either Howard is going to challenge them and get in foul trouble or just let them right in for dunks/layups. Either way, Heat will benefit.

goldengreek
    goldengreek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3939

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjones55 View Post
    if orlando opened up last game vs the heat at magic -4 and quickly jumped to magic -5 in less than one hour, why in the world would this magic -2.5 line that quickly jumped to magic -1.5 tell you orlando is the play???

orlando was 4 because the heat were struggling in a big way at the time ..losing b2b before playing at orlando... They had lost 4 of 7

and

the heat were burning ppls money not covering 8 of 9 coming into that game hence why orlando was favored by 4

and you know you cant base the line on what it was 2 + months ago.... Orlando has lost 3 of thier last 5 s/u and public perception is that the heat are playing great ball right now especially after the nationally televised game against ok city

STAY STRONG
    STAY STRONG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

5 unit play! gl bud

squid44
    squid44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 282

good luck sweetj!

raidersfan
    raidersfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Locked it in SJ...let's get this money.

aireent777
    aireent777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10732

Same thing with San Antonio at Staples tomorrow night. I think they will open up as road dogs +1 or +1.5

sweetjones55

Quote Originally Posted by goldengreek View Post

orlando was 4 because the heat were struggling in a big way at the time ..losing b2b before playing at orlando... They had lost 4 of 7

and

the heat were burning ppls money not covering 8 of 9 coming into that game hence why orlando was favored by 4

and you know you cant base the line on what it was 2 + months ago.... Orlando has lost 3 of thier last 5 s/u and public perception is that the heat are playing great ball right now especially after the nationally televised game against ok city
    Valid points but why do you think the line opening at -2.5 Magic and dropping to -1.5 Magic in a very short time frame implies Magic is the play?

BennyFang
    BennyFang's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10582

Someone refresh my memory, wasn't SJ's biggest play so far this year on Heat/Magic earlier, like 8x or so? I distinctly remember tailing & winning but can't remember if we played on the Magic or Heat.

sweetjones55

Quote Originally Posted by BennyFang View Post
    Someone refresh my memory, wasn't SJ's biggest play so far this year on Heat/Magic earlier, like 8x or so? I distinctly remember tailing & winning but can't remember if we played on the Magic or Heat.
    I took the Magic for 8 UNITS in that game, it was my Game of the Year and a winner.

t-wizzle

SJ, why is Orlando even favored to begin with? I feel like if Miami were the play, it would have opened at -1/+1.

Honestly, I don't know who i like yet, but i'm surprised this didn't open at either team being a 1 point fave.

sweetjones55

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    SJ, why is Orlando even favored to begin with? I feel like if Miami were the play, it would have opened at -1/+1.

Honestly, I don't know who i like yet, but i'm surprised this didn't open at either team being a 1 point fave.
    Miami could never open up as a favorite after being a 4.5-5 point underdog and losing by 9 points last time in Orlando. They aren't going to adjust the line 5.5 points like that from one game to the next. They changed the line 2.5 points which is still a big change and with the movement the line is now 3-4 points different from the last line.

t-wizzle

That game should be next to irrelevant to the books.

1234 ... Last