JayEgdarWho
    JayEgdarWho's Avatar Become A Pro!

First: I love this forum and the combination of fun, smarts, and balls that is laid right out there for anybody who wants to post or lurk. It's a great group of like-minded folks, getting bigger and bettter daily, it seems.

I thought about putting this in a new thread titled "I Am Not a Tout"

Because I'm not. Not a tout, not a professional, not a full-timer. I have no inside information, no locks, no steam games, no bailouts, no sure-fire way for anybody to crush their man (or woman, or computer screen).

In only have a strong interest in this stuff, lots of mental energy, and I hope some analytical ability.

I also know from success in other pursuits that emerging on top in anything over the long-term requires constantly choosing research and preparation over instant gratification, and constantly looking as aggressively as possible for new and better ways to think about the problem and new and better ways to use preparation and research when the time comes.

Reading this you might say: here's another thing you're not, Jay Edgar -- a gambler.

Maybe partly true, but not completely. The gambler still comes out. (Not nearly as much as twenty years ago, but enough.) You can't keep him reigned in all the time.

But you can't let him run wild, either --you are surely dead that way. I think the more prepared you are, the more you have tried to think about this stuff from every possible angle, and the more experience you gain at keeping the gambler reigned in (even to the dramatic extent of outright passing on games or entire cards when things do not feel right), the easier it becomes to sense when is the right time to let him out, and when is the wrong time.

Sometimes the right play is no play. More often than we would like, in fact. Certainly more often than we would like after some tough losses, the right play is no play.

I think the BMs are doing a pretty damn good job in the NBA lately. They are helped by the fact that there are too many X factors on any given night and, truly, anything can happen. I think the lines tonight are pretty tight -- make that very tight.

I don't know what to play. Although my posted picks were a net loser yesterday, in real terms I had my best day in a month (thanks in no small part to the big public Sunday line swings creating some arbitrage that ended up with a big side/middle combo. Also the good day was due once again to you fabulous NCAAB whiz kids.)

Can it possibly be that after your best day in a month the best play is no play? I'm grappling with that, but so far it seems a good day just to lean, and to listen to the other folks here. Instead of picks, here are a few things that might get overlooked:

MIA at CHA. Even though they are only 3-3 ATS since the ASB, Charlotte has had at least one shockingly good half in each of those games, typically the first half. Maybe they win a half SU tonight -- they are sure to be dogs in each.

SAC at NJ. Every game counts for SAC, still 2.5 out of the playoffs. NJ seems comfy in the #3 spot, with PHI having fallen back again yesterday. NJ is having a tough time scoring points these days, even against some medicore defenses, which SAC is not. The pre-game talk is Artest v. Carter, which may mean Carter goes solo even more, and that is already irking RJ.

PHX at NOK. NOK is an absolute wildcard coming off a long rest and that humiliation in the 2H at LAC. They should be ready to play, and OK crowd should be fired up. (NOK goes back to NO for first time later this week.) Normal team would let down in PHX's spot here, but Suns are so explosive that even if they only really play for a quarter, NOK could be in trouble. Pre-ASB, as DH notes, PHX was actually better without rest.

MEM at DEN. Nugs culd be ready to roll. They are getting settled into a groove post-trade, and their last three games have been outstanding. (Even the loss at HOU came against a Rockets team that had VanGundy uncharacteristically raving about their play.) MEM however is developing more of a killer road instinct, though this will be a tough one --BTB in the altitude. But the Clips, unfortunately, did not push them too hard last night. I think this would be a fantastic spot for DEN as a dog or -2 -- unfortunately the BMs did not make that mistake.

ORL at UTH. Kirilenko is playing out of control and ignoring Sloan's defensive schemes; Okur is sulking; Sloan has had it with them for the umpteenth time -- benching them last night in favor of the OTHER guys that he had benched earlier. If it goes bad for UTH tonight it has a chance to snowball. On the other hand, ORL is hurting, out of gas, and without anything to play for in the last game of a road trip (remember how NOK handled that.) Maybe the least likely result is Utah wins a close one -- they either cover or lose decisively outright.

SAN at LAX. I think the line and the total are right on the money. SAN is having its hands full with quality teams, and Lakers have done just enough (beaten DET and SAC -- the team they really have to worry about) to maybe, maybe qualify as one. Four of last five SA road wins have been by 4 points or less.
    Last edited by JayEgdarWho; 03-06-06 at 12:59 PM.

bama06
    bama06's Avatar Become A Pro!

Daily double

orlando ML +180 and OVER 189

shantystar
    shantystar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 117

jazz -4.5

shantystar
    shantystar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 117

toledo -15.5

justbet
    justbet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    Who do you guys like for today?

I will track everybodies plays, so please make sure you post a line.

Also, I don't mind if you post parlays, teasers, or round robins, but these plays will not be reflected in the standings.
    is there anywhere where one can see the tracked plays? i am interested in getting into sportsbetting and want to follow some pics, but i dont know who i should follow.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Quote Originally Posted by justbet
    is there anywhere where one can see the tracked plays? i am interested in getting into sportsbetting and want to follow some pics, but i dont know who i should follow.
    Its tracked daily. You could go to each daily thread and see the recap. If a certain someone did the recap for that given day.

the boss
    the boss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lakers +4.5

kingmario21
    kingmario21's Avatar Become A Pro!

tonights picks

nc wilmington -3.5 5 units
    iona -8 10 units
    denver -4.5 10 units
    spurs -4.5 10 units
    under nets/sac 189 5 units
    under 1st half sun/no 107 5 units
    miami 1st half -3.5 20 units
    islanders -110 10 units
    teaser- under nets/sac 198 or spurs +4.5
    hofstra +12.5
    iona +1
    gonzaga -3
    parlay
    nc wilmington -3.5
    denver nuggets -4.5
    spurs -4.5
    iona -8

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by kingmario21
    nc wilmington -3.5 5 units
    iona -8 10 units
    denver -4.5 10 units
    spurs -4.5 10 units
    under nets/sac 189 5 units
    under 1st half sun/no 107 5 units
    miami 1st half -3.5 20 units
    islanders -110 10 units
    teaser- under nets/sac 198 or spurs +4.5
    hofstra +12.5
    iona +1
    gonzaga -3
    parlay
    nc wilmington -3.5
    denver nuggets -4.5
    spurs -4.5
    iona -8
    Good luck and welcome to SBR bud.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

first off, welcome to the sbrforum kingmario21

good luck with your plays tonight

kingmario21

thanks same to you.
    had a nice streak over the last two weeks so hopefully it continues.

kingmario21

love miami 1st half tonight. charlotte isnt that good and miami d is gonna step it up tonight. plus shaqs bday. look for him to have a big first half. second half, he'll be thinking about what to eat for his bday bash!!!

justbet
    justbet's Avatar Become A Pro!

damn 4 10 unit plays!!! and a 20 unit play!?!? those games must be locks, huh?

newb411breaker19
    newb411breaker19's Avatar Become A Pro!

Miami/Charlotte over 199
    Sac/New Jersey Under 189
    Nets -4.5
    Suns -5
    Nuggets -5
    Orlando Utah over 190
    Lakers +5

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Suns -4 -103
    Wow, line came down.

I know this is a letdown spot, and a sandwich game, plus NO is coming off a historical humiliation, but I still think the Suns are too smart to fall for any of that. They already lost once this season to NO. They know this is no gimme. PHX will only need one strong half to take care of business. They're 8-3-1 ATS without rest. And 10-1-1 ATS for 1H without rest. Only reason I'm not playing 1H is their post ASB record. Ready for 2H play on PHX.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 03-06-06 at 05:43 PM.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

DH I am going to play this just for value

Phoenix -2.5 1st half +103

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

I would be all over the 1H, based on the past, but they've been much stronger in 2H since ASB.
    Plus NO, after scoring 16 points in the last half they played, should be coming out pretty strong.

imgv94

I love this teaser

Hofstra +9
    Miami Heat 1st half PK

imgv94

1* Hofstra +4

bigboydan

not a good start in that hofstra game img. 22-5 N.C. Wilmington run to start the game

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Can we get a recap on the games you have going today Img, since this thread is two pages long?

imgv94

I know, that sucks. Maybe I can get my teaser in.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    not a good start in that hofstra game img. 22-5 N.C. Wilmington run to start the game
    Do you have live stats for this game anywhere? This sounds like it could be a good 2H bet with shots obviously not falling for Hofstra early on.

Edit - Never mind. Found it. Hofstra started out 1 for 13. That could be a sweet 2H... lol

imgv94

Game is on ESPN bro.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

I just watch the stats, bro. Don't need confusing images.

bigboydan

img, is this looking like a 2nd half type wager ?

imgv94

looker? Are you spying on my computer?

5*Spurs -4
    2*Spurs -4.5 -102
    2*Spurs -5 +106

Thats 9 units!!!
    1* Toledo -15 +126
    1* Toledo -13
    1* E michigan +8
    1* Phoenix -2.5 1st half +103
    1* Hofstra +4

Hofstra +9
    Miami Heat 1st half PK

imgv94

I don't know crowd is really getting into this game. right now I would
    say No. But who knows?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94
    looker? Are you spying on my computer?
    I dont think so Img, why?

You feeling ok? Or did you get a hold of some bad smoke?

bigboydan

looker, you outta know img don't smoke that dirt weed.

Alamorich
    Alamorich's Avatar Become A Pro!

Spurs came off my do not play list after the allstar break. I consider the jinx on Spurs games to be over. Doesn't mean I won't put them back on the list after tonight.

Spurs -4 (got it last night)

Go Spurs GO!

imgv94

looker, I asked that cause I was writing the recap and when I was going to
    post it you asked that question, it was a trip. And this box with 27 on it
    keeps popping up.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

looker, I asked that cause I was writing the recap and when I was going to
    post it you asked that question, it was a trip. And this box with 27 on it
    keeps popping up.
    Ah, got ya.

Dave and company are working on the forums a bit. They are adding logos to the poker forum.

JayEgdarWho
    JayEgdarWho's Avatar Become A Pro!

And this box with 27 on it
    keeps popping up.
    I was trying to figure out what that means . . . . or better yet, what kind of NBA omen it could be. But there's not a player out there wearing 27.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by JayEgdarWho
    I was trying to figure out what that means . . . . or better yet, what kind of NBA omen it could be. But there's not a player out there wearing 27.

Its the forum ID number guys. Should be gone soon.

First 123 Last