soni
    soni's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

nba is all setup

fixes everywhere! how can the bookmakers set the total points for example 187 and then the game ends 189+ (2 points difference).
    how can you predict so close?
    it's all ****ing fix - %90 of the games! thus it's making you addictive! so you think, geez that was close, I would have hit the bingo!
    The NBA players see the line and then make a deal (decide which way to play) hot or cold tempo and put their bank on the over/under. this is how they make most of their money, and not simply by playing basketball in the nba.

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6501

lol its not fixed dude

soni

yeah sure!

even before the match starts, the coach and the players know the pace of the game and double their money.
    nowadays it's not a question of competition anymore.
    lame asses!

NardVa
    NardVa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10509

I do think some players are betting money on the side. Maybe more in college than the NBA. Especially in college when the scrub gets off the bench and starts jacking up three's trying to get the cover in a blow out.
    Last edited by NardVa; 04-13-08 at 06:07 PM.

jtuck
    jtuck's Avatar Become A Pro!

dmiles1021
    YouWager.eu
    dmiles1021's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol ridiculous to think these million dollar NBA player really care about overs and under.

soni

if you have a million, you want more!

sissa223
    sissa223's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by soni View Post
    fixes everywhere! how can the bookmakers set the total points for example 187 and then the game ends 189+ (2 points difference).
    it's all ****ing fix - %90 of the games! thus it's making you addictive! so you think, geez that was close, I would have hit the bingo!
    The NBA players see the line and then make a deal (decide which way to play) hot or cold tempo and put their bank on the over/under. this is how they make most of their money, and not simply by playing basketball in the nba.
    good conspiracy theory... whatever it is... that's reflective of why i hate betting overs and unders... books are usually accurate at those.

tool21
    tool21's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not fixed. And your not supposed to be able to predict a game going over by 2 points. You just have to be 3% more right than you are wrong. That's all. It's possible.

YoungMoney23
    YoungMoney23's Avatar Become A Pro!

yea dude stop being rediculous...nba players definitely dont put their bank on an over/under, youve got to be kidding

diogee
    fadeable flamingo
    diogee's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not fixed...just a fact that all teams have good and bad days.

fearless
    fearless's Avatar Become A Pro!

Here's my theory on how it frequently goes down (I wrote this almost exactly two years ago ):

Today's NBA games were a perfect example of how pro sports are fixed

Every team in the NBA is known for either specializing in winning games with their offense (they are known as “offensive teams”) or their defense (they are known as “defensive teams”). This is key for people who bet on games because if they think that a certain team will dominate a game, then they will naturally do it with their style. For example, if you think that the San Antonio Spurs will dominate a particular game, you'll probably expect for a game to go "under" (because they win games primarily with their excellent defense). For a lot of sports bettors, simply betting on a team covering a spread in a game isn't enough, so, they bet "parlays." A parlay is a single bet that links together two or more individual wagers and is dependent on all of those wagers winning together. A parlay bet allows someone to win a lot more money than an ordinary, single bet. For example, if you expected the Spurs to dominate the Kings in today's game, you probably would have bet them to cover the spread on the game (Spurs -8), which meant that they had to win the game by at least 9 points for you to win. If you really wanted a large return, you could bet a parlay on the game. This would mean that you would place one bet that would cover the point spread and the total points to be scored in the game (in this case, over or under 180). Both bets who would have to win for you to win. This means that if, for example, you pick the Spurs to cover the 8 point spread and the game total to be under 180, if only one of the bets won then you would lose the parlay bet.

Since the Spurs are a "defensive team", most people who expected the Spurs to win would choose the "under." Therefore, a lot of sports bettors (being a little greedy), will try and win a bigger payout by playing parlays on games (trying to pick an against the spread winner as well as an over/under winner in the games they bet on and betting these together in a parlay.

Games are fixed according to this predictable behavior of gamblers (not every game by any means, this usually doesn't apply to struggling teams, for example):

In order for an "offensive team" (a team that primarily wins games with its offense) to cover the spread, it most hold the game's point total "under" the over/under.

In order for a "defensive team" (a team that primarily wins games with its defense) to cover the spread, it must make sure that the game's point total is "over" the over/under.

Today's NBA games (the first day of the play-offs, -games played off the board) were perfect examples of how pro sports are fixed:

Cleveland (an offensive team) had to hold the game total under 196 in order to cover the spread (Cleveland -5):

Washington 86
    Cleveland 97

San Antonio (a defensive team) had to ensure the game total was over the over/under of 180 in order to cover the spread (San Antonio -8):

Sacramento 88
    San Antonio 122

Miami (an offensive team) had to hold the game total under 195 in order to cover the spread (Miami -8.5):

Chicago 106
    Miami 111

LA Clippers (a defensive team) had to ensure the game total was over the over/under of 196 in order to cover the spread (LA Clippers -5):

Denver 87
    LA Clippers 89

fearless
    fearless's Avatar Become A Pro!

My theory explains why it's frequently so close between over and unders. The favored team is battling to keep it under (or get it over), while the underdog is battling to do the opposite. With both teams aiming for the same number, it's only natural that they'll be close frequently.

trifectabx
    trifectabx's Avatar Become A Pro!

NBA player may not be betting themselves but THEY ARE fully aware of the total and spread for the game. Why shoot the ball when you are down 10 points w/ 8 seconds left? Or why do you foul when you are down 15 points w/ so many seconds left? NBA may not be fixed but players do play close to the OVER / UNDER and Spread.. Good Example was Lakers VS NEW Orleans Friday.. Spread was at 5. Lakers UP by 6. KOBE misses the 2nd freethrow ONLY 5 SEC. left.. A regular player would just hold on to the ball. Don't have to cross half court.. INSTEAD they run the ball down the court and shoot a 3. Lakers win by 3 instead of 6... They didn't cover.. Now my question is why run the ball down and shoot that 3??? Logical reason is they know the SPREAD. If it goes in Lakers lose ATS if it didn't Lakers WIN ATS.. Ummm.

0:06 Peja Stojakovic personal foul (Kobe Bryant draws the foul) 101-106
    0:06 101-107 Kobe Bryant makes free throw 1 of 2
    0:06 101-107 Kobe Bryant misses free throw 2 of 2
    0:05 David West defensive rebound 101-107
    0:01 Jannero Pargo makes three point jumper 104-107
    0:00 End of the 4th Quarter

Here's another good ex.. Dallas / Seattle on April 8... Spread was -17 for DALLAS.. Look at the what happens in the course of 10 SEC... Again they only have 8 sec. left don't have to cross half court. They knew the spread so DALLAS didn't cover.. Interesting...

0:44 81-97 Jamaal Magloire misses 5-foot two point shot
    0:42 Adrian Griffin defensive rebound 81-97
    0:30 Francisco Elson misses 21-foot jumper 81-97
    0:29 81-97 Juwan Howard defensive rebound
    0:08 81-99 Antoine Wright makes 13-foot jumper
    0:01 Ronald Dupree makes 11-foot two point shot (Luke Ridnour assists) 83-99
    0:00 End Game

Arnold
    Arnold's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just because you suck at picking OU winners, doesn't mean these games are fixed. Your assumptions are maybe good for 13 year old boys that think they know everything in this world.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

Quote Originally Posted by trifectabx View Post
    NBA player may not be betting themselves but THEY ARE fully aware of the total and spread for the game. Why shoot the ball when you are down 10 points w/ 8 seconds left? Or why do you foul when you are down 15 points w/ so many seconds left? NBA may not be fixed but players do play close to the OVER / UNDER and Spread.. Good Example was Lakers VS NEW Orleans Friday.. Spread was at 5. Lakers UP by 6. KOBE misses the 2nd freethrow ONLY 5 SEC. left.. A regular player would just hold on to the ball. Don't have to cross half court.. INSTEAD they run the ball down the court and shoot a 3. Lakers win by 3 instead of 6... They didn't cover.. Now my question is why run the ball down and shoot that 3??? Logical reason is they know the SPREAD. If it goes in Lakers lose ATS if it didn't Lakers WIN ATS.. Ummm.
    Why do they want to cover?

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Players don't fix NBA games. Refs do!

jstblaze
    jstblaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

This is almost ridiculous to read.

Maybe on a few select occasions, there has been an NBA player or group of players who tried to fix a game.

There is no reason witht he amoutn of money they make and the transparency of the sport in recent years, to do somethign like fix the game, from a player perspective.

It is not easy to do anyways.

All we are discussing is the AMAZING wonder of odds and probabilities.

I too am always amazed at how close the cappers can come on avergae, to both the point spread and the over under. It is all about odds and stats, that when generated to produce the most likely outcome, are producing the signigicant most likely outcome.

jtuck
    jtuck's Avatar Become A Pro!

0:06 Peja Stojakovic personal foul (Kobe Bryant draws the foul) 101-106
    0:06 101-107 Kobe Bryant makes free throw 1 of 2
    0:06 101-107 Kobe Bryant misses free throw 2 of 2
    0:05 David West defensive rebound 101-107
    0:01 Jannero Pargo makes three point jumper 104-107
    Dont remind me of this one. Most expensive three pointer ever.

SportNut
    SportNut's Avatar Become A Pro!

This also remind me of a New Jersey -7 to Washington while back. Washington made a 2 pointer at the last second and no defenders.

NardVa
    NardVa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10509

I don't think the players intentionally fix the game, but if the opportunity is there at the end to make a meaningless shot to cover the spread or go over why not.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

Quote Originally Posted by NardVa View Post
    I don't think the players intentionally fix the game, but if the opportunity is there at the end to make a meaningless shot to cover the spread or go over why not.
    That makes no sense. It would make sense if they want to pad individual stats

Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by NardVa View Post
    Players also make shots after the whistle was blown. So what? Making shots is just fun.

The_Kid
    The_Kid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1930

Hasn't this happened a couple times with the T'Wolves? If I remember correctly, the T'Wolves were playing the Nets and were down by 6? Sebastian Telfair steals the ball from Richard Jefferson, takes it upcourt, and kicks it out to his teammate who drains a 3 pointer. I think the spread was -5.5 or something, and obviously they covered. I remember watching that replay and thinking to myself, "Wow, the T'Wolves must have been betting on that game." Why would players do such a thing?

WestsidePete
    WestsidePete's Avatar Become A Pro!

come on now...fixed?? trust me I feel completely frustrated sometimes as well but these are not fixed...if you had only taken the other side on your plays you would be saying how the basketball gods are always working for you....

harsh506
    harsh506's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

lets see any1 here that thinks its fixed, shoot like 20 times and make all 20 shots in just so they can prove that players can score whenever they want.... IT isnt that easy just to score. In the case of Pargo scoring with a 3... hes a carraer 35% 3 point shooter. Has he just been missing for the past few years so that he could have this moment during that game..... it makes no sence. What would u be saying if he missed that shot....You would say he missed on purpose so they could keep it under.

chipski
    chipski's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowworld View Post
    My theory explains why it's frequently so close between over and unders. The favored team is battling to keep it under (or get it over), while the underdog is battling to do the opposite. With both teams aiming for the same number, it's only natural that they'll be close frequently.
    o/u are set according to ppg and ppg they surrender .
    I believe many games are fixed in the nba but the reason they finish close to the total set is because the ppg averaged by each team and ppg surrendered equal the final score .

If you and I play a game and you average 200 pts a game and I average 199 then it would be safe to set the o/u around 400 when we face off .

One of us may score 20 pts more than our average while the other scores right around their average , throwing the total of 400 off .
    Whoever was watching might think we fixed it .
    Last edited by chipski; 04-14-08 at 04:01 PM.

trifectabx

I never said it was fixed but players do know and play the spread / total. If you have the ball in your hand w/ 8 sec. to go and YOU KNOW the spread is 8 and your team is down by 9.. Would you try to shoot the ball and make the shot KNOWING it wouldn't matter cause it will not help you win the game.. BUT you will MOST likely shoot it cause you KNOW the spread. If you make it anyone sided w/ your team wins and if you missed they lose. My question is WHY not just hold the ball and run the clock down????? Simple because THEY KNOW THE SPREAD !.

C'mon I've followed basketball long enough to see this time and time again. Why foul constantly in the last 2 minutes when you are down 15 points and once the total is reached then stop fouling?? C'mon this stuff happens.. I don't think they actually bet but they can make a difference which way it goes.

trifectabx

Quote Originally Posted by harsh506 View Post
    lets see any1 here that thinks its fixed, shoot like 20 times and make all 20 shots in just so they can prove that players can score whenever they want.... IT isnt that easy just to score. In the case of Pargo scoring with a 3... hes a carraer 35% 3 point shooter. Has he just been missing for the past few years so that he could have this moment during that game..... it makes no sence. What would u be saying if he missed that shot....You would say he missed on purpose so they could keep it under.
    I've seen Reggie Miller miss 2 freethrows at the end of the game when they were up by 7. Make 1 and they make the over. Freak of Nature?? Maybe. Career 90+% ft shooter.. UM???
    I do say Pargo was lucky to make the 3 pointer.. And I wouldn't say he missed in purpose if it didn't go thru.. My question is why he took the shot when they have nothing to gain?? He could of just held on to the ball??. Logical reason.. He knew the SPREAD.

Arnold

My question is why he took the shot when they have nothing to gain?? He could of just held on to the ball??. Logical reason.. He knew the SPREAD.
    Why do they shoot the ball when the play is dead? They know the spread? Where is the logic in this?

Sports to players is not about spreads and totals. It's about winning and having fun.

hanco21
    The Lord of No Rings..AJ Smith Egomaniac
    hanco21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2113

Quote Originally Posted by jtuck View Post
    They got to learn to shoot from the stripe first.

hanco21
    The Lord of No Rings..AJ Smith Egomaniac
    hanco21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2113

Trust me players know what the line is and they do fix games more than you think.

Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by hanco21 View Post
    Trust me players know what the line is and they do fix games more than you think.
    I have no reason to trust you. Without any proven facts, it's just cheap, foolish talk.