texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7799

Quote Originally Posted by dume walker View Post
    What I plan on reading -- studying -- next is Tim Donaghy's "Personal Foul". I seem to recall he said that book includes a "blueprint" on what to look for in terms of games where referee bias might influence the ATS outcome.
    it's a good book, but it's not quite what you think it is in terms of a gambling tool. i don't want to deter you, though. study away, maybe you'll learn something you didn't already know, or see something i didn't. and if nothing else, you've read the book and can say it was interesting. i just don't want to get your hopes up.

sweetjones55
    554-381 (59.2%) NBA/WNBA/Football Record
    sweetjones55's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post

it's a good book, but it's not quite what you think it is in terms of a gambling tool. i don't want to deter you, though. study away, maybe you'll learn something you didn't already know, or see something i didn't. and if nothing else, you've read the book and can say it was interesting. i just don't want to get your hopes up.
    hey, Donaghy was hitting a ridiculous % in the playoffs predicting games so maybe there is something in that book that could help out. I still go over referee stats thoroughly before making a play on any NBA game. I have to REALLY love the game to get the play in early before the line movements without looking at the refs.

sweetjones55

I am sorry I am taking so long to do these writeups for each team. I should get at least two in this weekend.

peterpan19
    peterpan19's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tim Donaghy's "Personal Foul"

anyone got a pdf of that book?

sweetjones55

Charlotte Bobcats

Well there really isn't too much to say about this team. They have not really changed too much over the offseason. Most teams in the NBA have gotten better and IMO this team just got worse. They lost Raymond Felton to free agency to the Knicks and replace him with DJ Augustin, a downgrade IMO. He is a pretty decent offensive player scoring 6ppg in 18 minutes but he's a a liability on defense due to his size. He is only 6" tall and weighs 180lbs. I don't think he will be all that great at running this team as the starting point guard. They still have four returning starters in Jackson, Wallace, Diaw and Ratliff.

Their biggest problem are those two bigs, Diaw and Ratliff. Diaw doesn't play like a PF and has a limited offensive skill set. Ratliff is pretty much just a big body who is in there to block shots and get rebounds and do nothing more. They don't really have that post presence which is crucial.

Their bench is also missing that big offensive spark. Their whole bench is going to be about the same as last year with losses of unimportant players Hughes and Graham and an addition of rookie Sherron Collins, Matt Carroll and Erick Dampier. Erick Dampier is on the downfall and doesn't really offer more than what Ratliff does. Carroll won't be making a noteworth impact this year.

Overall, I think you will see the Bobcats have a down year this year. I think this will be a great team to fade on the road. They may get some more credit than they deserve (especially early in the season) and have nice looking fadeable lines since they made the playoffs last year and the public may think they are better than what they really are.

I will have all the the ATS, quarter etc numbers up later today.

brumbies
    sail close to the wind
    brumbies's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7724

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjones55 View Post
    I am sorry I am taking so long to do these writeups for each team. I should get at least two in this weekend.
    You sound like its compulsory to do these writeups. Just do it on your own pace. If you can't finish all 32 teams when the season starts, so be it. You are not paid to do them anyway so don't feel too stressed.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

not bad writeup. Raymond was a big part of that team. Larry Brown trusted Felton more than any other player on that team, he wanted him to be his Billups, but he would never be Chauncey. I think you are underestimating Diaw. You say Diaw's offensive skill set is limited which is not true. Diaw is one of the most versatile big bodies in the league. He's one of the best passer's i've ever seen at his position. In fact, when Durant came into the league he had such high regard for Diaw's offensive skill set.

Augustine is a very good player. I think he will come through for the bobcats in big moments. He is very capable of hitting the big shot when it matters, but his consistency will be a problem next year. He will have very good games, and very poor games. It'll be tough for him to match up with some of the bigger PGs in the league, but his quickness is a great asset, something Raymond didn't really have a lot of.

i am looking forward to all these writeups SJ, its good that your doing this. A lot of guys here can learn a lot from you.

sweetjones55

Quote Originally Posted by brumbies View Post

You sound like its compulsory to do these writeups. Just do it on your own pace. If you can't finish all 32 teams when the season starts, so be it. You are not paid to do them anyway so don't feel too stressed.
    I just really want to get it down for myslef. Success is when preparation meets opportunity.

sweetjones55

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    not bad writeup. Raymond was a big part of that team. Larry Brown trusted Felton more than any other player on that team, he wanted him to be his Billups, but he would never be Chauncey. I think you are underestimating Diaw. You say Diaw's offensive skill set is limited which is not true. Diaw is one of the most versatile big bodies in the league. He's one of the best passer's i've ever seen at his position. In fact, when Durant came into the league he had such high regard for Diaw's offensive skill set.

Augustine is a very good player. I think he will come through for the bobcats in big moments. He is very capable of hitting the big shot when it matters, but his consistency will be a problem next year. He will have very good games, and very poor games. It'll be tough for him to match up with some of the bigger PGs in the league, but his quickness is a great asset, something Raymond didn't really have a lot of.

i am looking forward to all these writeups SJ, its good that your doing this. A lot of guys here can learn a lot from you.
    Yes, Diaw is a pretty good shooter and smart passer but he has very little driving ability and is not a good finisher. He gets most his points off assists and can't really create for himself all that much.

First 12