charlie64
    charlie64's Avatar Become A Pro!

That damn Steve Nash still hasn't guarded anybody

It's a damn good thing they dont give the mvp out based on defense,or Steve Nash sure as hell wouldn't win it.When he was in Dallas they were one of the worst defensive teams in the league.He is not the only one though,there are allot others;Dirk Nowitski,Allen Iverson,Carmelo Anthony.Baron Davis,Gilbert Arenas,Jamaal Tinsley,Micheal Dunleavy,and I could go on and on......and the sad thing is some of these guys will be inducted into the hall of fame one day.
    The great ones though all played defense:Jordan,Barkley,Bird,Majic.Even today the real good ones all play defenseuncan,Shaq,Bryant.We all know the old cliche defense wins championships;Spurs,Bulls,Pistons,even the year Miami won they beat a high scoring Mavs team with what?DEFENSE.Until some of these guys learn how to at least get in front of somebody they are never gonna have a ring.Thats why I think Shaq going to Phoenix may not be the disaster everyone thinks it will be. out

The_Kid
    The_Kid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1930

I agree man. Kobe should have been MVP last year.

I'm hoping he gets it this year. He deserves it.

ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011
    ChuteBoxe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

Think you made a mistake on Baron Davis. He might not be a defensive genius, but he is in the upper tier of defensive players in the NBA. He was honored by the HoopsHype publication, as a member of the ALL-NBA 1st Defensive Team in 2003-2004. He also, led the NBA in steals in 2003-04, and 2006-07.

charlie64

Quote Originally Posted by ChuteBoxe View Post
    Think you made a mistake on Baron Davis. He might not be a defensive genius, but he is in the upper tier of defensive players in the NBA. He was honored by the HoopsHype publication, as a member of the ALL-NBA 1st Defensive Team in 2003-2004. He also, led the NBA in steals in 2003-04, and 2006-07.
    I'm talking about this year,and you have to admit all he is worrying about this year is shooting.Thats why they have the league high pts game109.6,and their giving up a league high 107.2 pts a me

ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011

Yeah, that's true. He should be #1 in steals this year also, not 2nd. Remember, second place is only the first loser.

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie64 View Post
    Thats why I think Shaq going to Phoenix may not be the disaster everyone thinks it will be. out
    It seems you overlooked the fact that year after year Marion is one of the top candidates for the Defensive Player of the Year award.

The_Kid
    The_Kid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1930

I'm talking about this year,and you have to admit all he is worrying about this year is shooting.Thats why they have the league high pts game109.6,and their giving up a league high 107.2 pts a me
    The Warriors in general just don't play D. They're just trying to outscore you. Their D is "I'll let you score 2, then I'll hit a 3."

OegNo
    OegNo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
    The Warriors in general just don't play D. They're just trying to outscore you. Their D is "I'll let you score 2, then I'll hit a 3."
    sounds like the warriors #1 motto

charlie64

Quote Originally Posted by ChuteBoxe View Post
    Yeah, that's true. He should be #1 in steals this year also, not 2nd. Remember, second place is only the first loser.
    Y

Yea and I watched him Sat night looking for all those steals letting people drive by him all night.So what your saying is if he was not there then G.S would be giving up 150 pts a game
    Last edited by charlie64; 02-11-08 at 02:29 AM.

charlie64

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    It seems you overlooked the fact that year after year Marion is one of the top candidates for the Defensive Player of the Year award.

I didnt say anything about Marion,I just said that shaq might not be the disaster everyone said that he was going to be.

ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011

Y

Yea and I watched him Sat night looking for all those steals letting people drive by him all night.So what your saying is if he was not there then G.S would be giving up 150 pts a game
    Not necessarily. I'm definitely saying they would have 2.5 less steals a game though, and I'm also pretty sure they'd have a losing record without him.

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

I didnt say anything about Marion,I just said that shaq might not be the disaster everyone said that he was going to be.
    Replacing Marion is a defensive disaster for the Suns, unless you replace him with another DPOY candidate. Shaq is not one of those. So, the Suns lost both ways, offensively and defensively.

Deke101
    Deke101's Avatar Become A Pro!

Data, I agree with you. I have this whole time. I hated this trade. But Marion wanted out. I'm starting to think that picking up Shaq will help them a lot. He'll be a big presence down low and he'll take some fouls away from Amare. Shaq can get boards and kick it out, I don't think the Suns want 35+ minutes out of him, in fact, i don't think Shaq could do that night in night out until maybe a month from now after running up and down court with the suns at practice. But the Suns want a championship, and the line-up they had, although it seemed great, hasn't worked, and won't work. Shaq has experience in the play-offs and the finals, and winning it. Marion wanted to be the star of another team, well he got it, he's sharing spotlight with D Wade, haha. Marion is the best hustle stats player in the game; steals, rebounds, gets out on the fastbreak, gets dunks, and will still hit the 3 --> the suns couldn't ask for much more, but Marion is. I'm with ya charlie, time will tell, but I think if Shaq can get back on the court and stay there, the Suns can be a better contender than in the previous years.

jstblaze
    jstblaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

You do not know much about basketball, and defense specifically, if you are including Allen Iverson on a list of stars that do not play with defensive intesity.

AI is a sick defensive player, he just plays a idfferent kind of defense.

You can surely add McGrady to the list instead of AI. And Carmello surely desevres to be on the list, he is an embrassment on the defensive end.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Quote Originally Posted by jstblaze View Post
    You do not know much about basketball, and defense specifically, if you are including Allen Iverson on a list of stars that do not play with defensive intesity.

AI is a sick defensive player, he just plays a idfferent kind of defense.

You can surely add McGrady to the list instead of AI. And Carmello surely desevres to be on the list, he is an embrassment on the defensive end.
    In my opinion McGrady when he wants to is the best defensive player in the league. A.I. i agree his off the ball defense makes up for his guarding a guy defensly. Carmello is an embarasment to even be in the same sentence as defense. And Marion was an overrated defense player. He is okay but nothing special.