onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Sonics/Suns 152-149. Highest scoring NBA game in 11 years.

Both teams also combined to set the NBA record for 3 pointers made in a game. What a night for the NBA, this and Kobe scoring 81.

PHOENIX (AP) -- It was an unofficial turn-back-the-clock night in Phoenix, to the days when everybody in the NBA loved to run and shoot, and nobody played much defense.

Ray Allen made a 30-footer at the second-overtime buzzer to break the NBA record for most combined 3-pointers in a game, giving the Seattle SuperSonics a 152-149 victory over the Phoenix Suns on Sunday night in the league's highest-scoring game in 11 years.

"When I was open, I just knew it was time to make a shot," Allen said.

The teams combined for 32 3-pointers, breaking the mark of 31 set by Toronto and Philadelphia on March 13, 2005. The 301 points were the most in a game since Dallas beat Houston 156-147 in two overtimes on April 11, 1995, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

It was the first 150-point game in the NBA since the Los Angeles Clippers beat Toronto 152-120 on March 15, 1998.

Allen scored 42, including 8-of-16 3s, and Luke Ridnour a career-high 30 as the Sonics snapped a four-game losing streak and handed Phoenix its first home loss in seven games. Thirty-two of Allen's points came after the third quarter.

"One thing about Ray Allen, at some point he's going to make shots," Sonics coach Bob Hill said.

In the first three quarters, Allen made 4-of-15 shots and was 0-for-6 on 3s. In the fourth quarter and two overtimes, he was 10-for-13, 8-for-10 on 3s.

"He was obviously unbelievable," the Suns' Steve Nash said. "He just got in rhythm. I don't think it mattered what kind of look he got, he was just making shots."

Allen said he was upset with himself for his play through three quarters.

But, he said, "as a shooter, I always got to keep shooting it."

Shawn Marion had 37 points, 10 rebounds and five blocked shots, and Raja Bell scored a career-best 31 for the Suns. Nash had 28 points and 16 assists.

Bell's 18-footer with 11 seconds to play tied it at 149 and Boris Diaw fouled Rashard Lewis with 2.5 seconds to play. The Sonics weren't in the penalty, so they took the ball out of bounds.

Two defenders followed Rashard Lewis toward the baskket, so Ridnour inbounded the ball to Allen at midcourt. Allen dribbled once and let it fly from far beyond the top of the key.

"How do you explain a guy knocking down a 30-some footer to win a game," Bell said. "It's not really luck, but it's a tough thing to explain. It just happens."

The Sonics improved to 3-7 since coach Bob Weiss was fired and replaced by Hill.

"It's a very, very good win for us," Hill said. "I hope it's a breakthrough win for us, and we can build from this."

Lewis had shots blocked by Marion at the end of regulation and Kurt Thomas at the end of the first overtime.

After a 24-second violation against Seattle with 14 seconds to play in the first overtime, the Suns had a chance to win it. But Ridnour knocked the ball loose from Nash, and the Suns' playmaker hit it last as it went out of bounds.

Lewis worked the baseline, but Thomas blocked his shot at the rim as the buzzer sounded.

Allen's 3-pointer, over Nash, put Seattle ahead 126-124 with 4.4 seconds remaining. After a timeout, Bell threw inbounds to Diaw, who hit Nash for the game-tying reverse layup over Allen with 1.6 seconds to go.

Marion blocked Lewis' 16-foot attempt at the buzzer.

Marion had given the Suns a 124-123 lead with a breakaway stuff after a Seattle turnover with 15 seconds to go. But after a timeout, a defensive switch put the much smaller Nash on Allen, and the Seattle star stepped back to make his fifth 3-pointer in 11 tries. It began a string of four 3s in five attempts.

"I thought we definitely started off sloppy," Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said. "It took us a while for whatever reason. We played a heck of a game and fought back. We battled shot for shot."

Down by 13 twice in the first half, the Suns got it going in the third quarter, making 12 of their first 14 shots, including 7-of-7 3-pointers. They matched by Ridnour, though, who was 7-for-7 shooting his 16-point third quarter.

Game notes
    A pair of French players were lifted from their usual starting spots, Phoenix's Diaw and Seattle's Johan Petro. ... The Suns leave Monday for Orlando to start an eight-game road trip, their longest of the season. ... Phoenix is 0-4 in games that last two overtimes or longer. ... The 152 points was third most in franchise history for Seattle while the 149 was fifth best for the Suns

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i thought that suns/nuggets game earlier this year was going to the the highest scoring game of the year. boy, was i wrong.

the really suprising thing about this game was. ray allen only scored 42 point. i would have thought for sure he would have had more than that, when i first seen the score.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love seeing scores like that. It reminds me of the old days.