onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Lebron youngest to 5,000 points.

Passing Kobe. Anything to pass that self center azz. Plus Lebron is the man. All the heat he as took this week for not being able to win the game in the final seconds. He goes out and scores 51 on a sore knee and news that his mom was booked on a DWI.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- LeBron James' sore right knee didn't throw off his shot much.

James scored 51 Saturday night, becoming the youngest player in NBA history with 5,000 points in his career, and the Cleveland Cavaliers beat the Utah Jazz 108-90 Saturday night to snap a six-game losing streak.

The Cavaliers avoided going winless on a six-game road trip and were assured that James, who had X-rays on his knee earlier Saturday, should be fine.

"I was just fighting through it," said James, who decided shortly before the game to test the knee by starting. "I was trying to fight through a cold, but I didn't want to make any excuses. I didn't want to be in the position where I wasn't there for my team tonight."

James, who turned 21 on Dec. 30, needed 45 points to pass Kobe Bryant as the youngest player to reach 5,000. Bryant was 22 when he scored his 5,000th point.

James was one point off his season high and eight away from tying his career high. By the end, he had won over the Utah fans and left to a standing ovation with 1:35 remaining in the game.

"He was terrific. He made his shots and he's just a wonderful player," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "I think we're intimidated by him a great deal."

The Jazz fell to 20-21, the first time they've had a losing record since falling to 16-17 with an 87-65 loss at Memphis on Jan. 6.

Mehmet Okur scored 20 and pulled down 13 rebounds and Andrei Kirilenko had 19 points for the Jazz, who struggled against James all night.

James apparently wasn't affected by the knee, which he expects to have an MRI exam on after he gets back to Cleveland, or the arrest of his mother, Gloria, on suspicion of drunken driving back in Akron, Ohio.

James, who also had eight assists, was 19-for-35 from the floor and made nine of 11 free throws and the Cavs won for the first time since a 96-88 victory over the Bucks on Jan. 7.

"I came real close" to not playing, James said. "If it had been a one o'clock game, I wouldn't have made it."

By 7 p.m, he appeared fine. An hour later, James had the Jazz falling down while trying to keep up with him.

James made a head fake to the basket that got Matt Harpring off balance, then stepped back and hit a turnaround jumper from the free throw line to put the Cavs up 61-56 late in the third quarter.

After two free throws for Utah, Donyell Marshall made a 3-pointer and James extended the lead to 66-58 when he leaped through the lane for a one-handed dunk with about 2 minutes left in the third quarter.

James was short in his postgame comments, apparently upset over criticism he faced during the losing streak.

"It was a great performance. People need to understand that he's only 21 years old," said Marshall, who scored 24. "The criticism he's taking is unfair."

Cleveland led 73-67 after three periods. Damon Jones, Marshall and James hit consecutive 3-pointers early in the fourth to extend the lead to 84-71 with 9:34 remaining. After a timeout, James added another spectacular dunk, but missed his chance at a three-point play after being fouled by Okur.

"He just did everything he wants," Kirilenko said. "He drives, he shoots, he scores, he goes to the line, he rebounds the ball."

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

glad to see him have a good game after struggling a little...

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

this record is going to stand for along time i feel. the new collective barging stuff will make sure of that, because of the mininum age restriction clause.

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

Lebron chokes everytime his team needs him
    Misses FTs or shots
    Just like he did vs Lakers

Right now I have to take Kobe over Lebron

I think the most self centered donkey in the nBA right now is that big baby in Miami(Shaq), the big boy who shoots his FT like a scared little girl, the boy who doesnt want the ball when the game is on the line.

When was the last time Big Baby made a game winning basket??

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Lebron chokes everytime his team needs him
    Misses FTs or shots
    Just like he did vs Lakers

Right now I have to take Kobe over Lebron

I think the most self centered donkey in the nBA right now is that big baby in Miami(Shaq), the big boy who shoots his FT like a scared little girl, the boy who doesnt want the ball when the game is on the line.

When was the last time Big Baby made a game winning basket??
    I'm not sure you said exactly how I would have, but the meat of your post seems to be about right.

Lebron is a talent unlike any the league has seen since Wilt.

Kobe at this moment in time is better than Lebron.

Shaq is not getting younger and his FT shooting is not getting better. All the people that looked at the Lakers/Heat trade and said that the Lakers made a disastrous move are being forced to realize that the moves they made were in fact quite intelligent.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

just read about his mom in the hoops forum...too bad...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Now my boy has to score 82 points sometime down the road to pass Kobe's performance Sunday night.

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    Now my boy has to score 82 points sometime down the road to pass Kobe's performance Sunday night.
    He's certainly capable. It will be a couple of years though. Eventually the Cavaliers will learn how to run their offense properly through Lebron.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap
    He's certainly capable. It will be a couple of years though. Eventually the Cavaliers will learn how to run their offense properly through Lebron.
    Only thing is, he is to much of a team player, so I dont think he will do it. He had 51 the other night but also had 8 assist and 5 rebounds.

isetcap

There will be times when his team needs him to score 60 or more to win the game and eventually he will be able to recognize that.

bigboydan

that was an amazing game to watch last night.

i didn't catch what was really going on til half way thru the 3rd quarter.

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    that was an amazing game to watch last night.

i didn't catch what was really going on til half way thru the 3rd quarter.
    Well he only scored 26 in the first half and the Lakers were down by 20. That's just typical output for him. More impressive than the 81 overall is the 55 he put up in the second half erasing a 20 point defecit and even pushing the lead up to 20 along the way.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm sure ESPN classic will be rebroadcasting the game this week.

bigboydan

gonna be a tough task considering he's more of a team player.