this guy is a real peace of work isn't he. first he forces van gundy out as coach. and then comes out and makes a statement like this.

oh sure, let somebody else build a championship contender type team, and riley wants to steal the benifits of it

Riley tells ESPN he probably won't coach next season

January 7, 2006

PHOENIX (AP) -- Miami Heat coach Pat Riley told ESPN on Friday night that he probably won't coach next season, though he brushed aside the significance of his comments.

"There's a possibility of that," he said when asked about it after his team's 111-93 loss to the Phoenix Suns.

He insisted the statement wasn't new.

"I said that already before," Riley said. "Of course they (ESPN) made big deal of it. That's what they do. But it's the same thing I've told to my beat writers."

When the Miami writers shrugged and said they'd never heard him say it, Riley said, "Well, I said it to somebody."

ESPN's Jim Gray said Riley told him "I doubt I will coach after this year. I came back because I had an obligation and responsibility to this organization. I put this team together. I would never say never -- I'm not closing the door -- but I really doubt I will come back next year."

According to ESPN, Riley cited the travel as a major reason he might not come back.

Riley, the Heat president, took over coaching duties after Stan Van Gundy resigned on Dec. 12