Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Stoudamire to have knee surgery, may be out for season

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- The Memphis Grizzlies' big victory was dampened by an even bigger loss.

Guard Damon Stoudamire ruptured his right patellar tendon and left the court on a stretcher in the Memphis Grizzlies' 93-90 win over the Portland Trail Blazers on Friday night.

"We just lost a big, big part of the heart of this team by losing Damon," said coach Mike Fratello.

The 32-year-old Stoudamire will undergo surgery pending an examination by team doctors in Memphis and will likely miss the rest of the season, said team spokeswoman Stacey Mitch.

Mike Miller scored 15 of his 23 points in the second quarter for the Grizzlies, who led by as many as 15 points in the second half before Portland rallied, getting within two in the final seconds.

The Grizzlies hung on down the stretch, with Eddie Jones hitting two key free throws, but the sudden loss of their starting point guard reverberated in the locker room after game.

"It's really painful for the team to lose Damon," said Pau Gasol, who had 18 points and nine rebounds. "He's been a great leader for us and we'll miss his great finishes down the stretch."

Stoudamire, who was originally said to have sprained his knee, ruptured the tendon while driving to the hoop in the second quarter.

"I had a layup, but when I went up it felt like a sniper shot me," he said. "It was just a feeling I've never had."

Stoudamire, who played more than seven seasons for the Blazers, was making his first appearance in his hometown after leaving to sign a four-year deal with Memphis in the offseason.

He lay motionless with his head buried in his arm for a few minutes until being wheeled off the court.

"What's crazy is that when I went from the court to the Blazer locker room, I cried. And I cried upstairs," Stoudamire said.

Ruben Patterson scored 22 points and Zach Randolph added 18 points and nine rebounds for the Blazers.

Miller finished 8-for-10 from the field after hitting his first six shots. He scored 18 points in the first half and stayed in the game despite suffering a sprained ankle just before halftime.

The Blazers missed the inside presence of Joel Przybilla, who sat out for a second straight game with a sore knee.

"They have a really nice team with inside presence by Pau Gasol and outside presence by Miller, Jones, (Shane) Battier and Stoudamire," said Portland coach Nate McMillan.

Portland got within 90-88 on Patterson's rebound put-back with 18.9 seconds left.

Jones then increased the lead to four with two free throws before Juan Dixon made a layup to get Portland within 92-90.

Bobby Jackson hit one of two free throws with 10 seconds left and the Blazers missed a chance to force overtime when Randolph missed a 3 at the buzzer.

Stoudamire's injury also shook up some of his former Blazer teammates. While paramedics attended to the guard, Patterson repeatedly tried to leave the Portland huddle to see him, but assistant Maurice Lucas held him back.

"To see the guy go down here brought tears to my eyes, man," Patterson said. "He came out here and I told him I love you and keep your head up." ^Notes:@ Memphis is 6-14 all-time playing in Portland. ... The Blazers were also without G Sebastian Telfair and F Darius Miles. ... Gasol had 26 points and 12 rebounds for the Grizzlies in an 89-79 win over Portland in Memphis on Dec. 21.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not good at all for the Blazers, he could miss the rest of the season.