lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Durant is the NBA MVP

He wont get it because of the silent rules but he is.

They would win 3rd in the east easily if they were in the east. The west is way tougher and he has carried that team.

Pretty much same amount of points as Lebron
    1.46 pps compared to lebron of 1.49

8th in the league in ft %
    lebron 88th in ft%

yes lebron more assists

better than lebron at 3's

anyways im not a stats guy much but he is the mvp and if he doesnt get it this year he will get it next year. the kid is sick and what he is doing isnt much diff than what lebron did with that shit cavs team in 2005.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

How many games has he won in the last possesion, he isnt that guy yet in the clutch, but he's getting there.

williams22
    williams22's Avatar Become A Pro!

LB, why must you bait me just as I'm about to go to sleep???

My argument against Durant is very similar to my argument against Kobe, Durant does not make those around him better (at least not anywhere close to what Lebron does). Yes, the kid is a phenomenal scorer, but his game is very one-dimensional at this point.

I think the best way to determine MVP is to consider, "could another player when put in his place make the team more successful?" In Durant's case, I think you would be pretty hard-pressed to find someone who wouldn't agree that the Thunder would become a much better team if Lebron took Durant's place.

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by BernardMadoff View Post
    How many games has he won in the last possesion, he isnt that guy yet in the clutch, but he's getting there.
    He doesnt let his team get in those situations much thats what makes him even greater

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    He doesnt let his team get in those situations much thats what makes him even greater
    Hearing this in reference to Durant when picking Durant over Lebron for MVP is fairly ironic.

lakerboy

willy i aint gonna let you sleep

lakerboy

Willly Durant cant be guarded because he is such a pure scorer but lebron cant be guarded cause he is a physical specimen. Am i right or wrong?

williams22

willy i aint gonna let you sleep
    You're evil, just plain evil sir

I think I have OCD when it comes to Lebron/Cavs. If I read an argument I strongly disagree with I find it very hard to just ignore and instead feel compelled to respond.

Let me draw my MVP scale:

-----Lebron James-----
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -----Kevin Durant-----
    -----Kobe Bryant-----
    -
    -
    -
    -----Everyone Else-----

williams22

Willly Durant cant be guarded because he is such a pure scorer but lebron cant be guarded cause he is a physical specimen. Am i right or wrong?
    I would agree. I would also say Carmelo is a combination of the two, but is a mental infant compared to Lebron and is slightly lower than Durant.

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by williams22 View Post
    I would agree. I would also say Carmelo is a combination of the two, but is a mental infant compared to Lebron and is slightly lower than Durant.

Willy i can sleep in peace now- we have agreed on something .

lakers under

williams22

Willy i can sleep in peace now- we have agreed on something .

lakers under
    The biggest difference between Lebron and everyone else is Lebron can absolutely dominate a game without taking a shot.

PS - On a different note, I should let you know my name is actually Chris. "williams22" is in honor of Jason Williams from Duke who was the best PG I ever played against.

lakerboy

The biggest difference between Lebron and everyone else is Lebron can absolutely dominate a game without taking a shot.

PS - On a different note, I should let you know my name is actually Chris. "williams22" is in honor of Jason Williams from Duke who was the best PG I ever played against.
    I know your name is Chris but wasnt sure if it was okay to say that publicly. When did you play against Jason?

williams22

I know your name is Chris but wasnt sure if it was okay to say that publicly. When did you play against Jason?
    Haha let me clarify that statement...
    I was actually only 13 or so at the time. I played 1 on 1 against him for fun when he was a sophomore at Duke and I was at the camp. Best PG I've ever seen in person. Just a tremendous combination of handles, speed, quickness, and power. The guy could 360 dunk AND rain 3s. His crossover was the best I've ever seen.

I also played against Stephen Curry at the camp a few times.

S.K.M.
    S.K.M.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

J. Williams was great in college. I hate Duke but I loved watching him play. Didn't he end up wrecking his motorcyle or something like that?

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by S.K.M. View Post
    J. Williams was great in college. I hate Duke but I loved watching him play. Didn't he end up wrecking his motorcyle or something like that?
    Yeah, he completely blew out his knee in the accident. Took almost 2 years to rehab but he never regained the explosiveness he once had and he got cut after a few weeks of trying to make it back to the NBA. It's a shame, he would have been one of the best PGs in the league.

AzNDooM
    St.Louis blues WIN ML
    AzNDooM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3523

I have to tip my hat to Kevin Durant and yes, if hes not MVP this year he will be next. I argue that he does make everyone around him that much better. Defences are geared to stopping him allowing the floor to be more open for Green/Westbrook. He knows his role, he could easily dish off passes off but why do so when Westbrook is at point and thats his role on the offence. KD is consistent, he can shoot, he can dunk, he can play D, kids got it all. He is carrying the team, and if OKC didnt have him the line up, i would agree that there record would be the other way around. Whereas CLE, LB has a little bit more support with SHAQ, Jamison, Hickson, Williams...

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by AzNDooM View Post
    I have to tip my hat to Kevin Durant and yes, if hes not MVP this year he will be next. I argue that he does make everyone around him that much better. Defences are geared to stopping him allowing the floor to be more open for Green/Westbrook. He knows his role, he could easily dish off passes off but why do so when Westbrook is at point and thats his role on the offence. KD is consistent, he can shoot, he can dunk, he can play D, kids got it all. He is carrying the team, and if OKC didnt have him the line up, i would agree that there record would be the other way around. Whereas CLE, LB has a little bit more support with SHAQ, Jamison, Hickson, Williams...
    KD is a very efficient scorer, but westbrook definately deserves a big part of that credit as well
    i do agree that cavs have more overall talent, but most of them are role players
    as great a year as durant has had, lebron is still the mvp

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithj88 View Post
    KD is a very efficient scorer, but westbrook definately deserves a big part of that credit as well
    i do agree that cavs have more overall talent, but most of them are role players
    as great a year as durant has had, lebron is still the mvp
    This.

Shark
    Shark's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10442

I love durant and hope he wins an mvp soon.

LA_Story
    LA_Story's Avatar Become A Pro!

how old is durant?

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree Durant SHOULD win the MVP. I don't follow this over hyped thugged up crap called the NBA very closely, but this guy is a beast. Its gonna be interesting to see how far he can take OKC this year and in the future. Keep in mind Durant doesn't even turn 22 years old till Sept. 29th of this year.

broananik
    broananik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Durant should be in definite consideration.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

I tottaly agree, even had a similiar thread about this awhile back

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Yeah, he completely blew out his knee in the accident. Took almost 2 years to rehab but he never regained the explosiveness he once had and he got cut after a few weeks of trying to make it back to the NBA. It's a shame, he would have been one of the best PGs in the league.

I remember that guy.. Probably the last of the great Duke players so far. Duke use to get blue chippers in the past, but not any longer.. Don't get me wrong Duke has good players, but they don't get the blue chippers anymore that they use to.

When I mean bluechippers I mean guys like.. Boozer/Hill/Brand/Maggette/Laettner/Hurley/Williams/Battier

I am sure I left some off and Laettner and Hurley are questionable since they had no impact in the NBA. I was talking about mainly guys that were useful NBA players once they left.. Duke use to have those guys, but no longer anymore... I guess you could add JJ Reddick also since he is coming around and finding his Niche in the NBA.

Jive
    Jive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 142

I love KD (my second favorite player behind Duncan), but Durant should be second. I watch the Cavs at least twice every week and I have to say Lebron wins by a mile. He is the dominate offensive and defensive force on the team with the best record, and that team isn't anywhere near the same without him. Trade Lebron for KD and the Cavs finish 4th in East while the Thunder are probably 2nd in the West, at worst.

If you watched how Cleveland played with the entire backcourt injured, missing half the frontcourt, and before Jamison arrived, there would be no doubt that Lebron is the MVP. That was a one-man team and they still dominated.

I am Happy
    I am Happy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Lebron is far and away the MVP of this year. Set stats aside (which Lebron has unbiasly the best stat lines in terms of production)...set team record aside....I will say it, Lebron is the greatest leader in the game. Over Kobe, yes. He has an uncanny ability to put his team in sync with one another and draw out maximum abilities from players that would disappear given that they weren't playing with Lebron. Ie. JJ Hickson. Look at his production when Lebron was out recently for 2 games. Golden State alone has 3 or 4 JJ Hickson's. Hickson is nothing special. People downplay Lebron's inhert ability to put players in sync with what his, and the organizations' brand of basketball is - His ability to mesh personalities for common cause because of his uncanny leadership, and quite frankly the fact that his personality is welcoming in life.

polsefest
    polsefest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 572

I like this angle. I hate hearing when people say "you only play good when you need to be" (as in a fourth quarter comeback) but in reality if you are always good you wouldn't be down in the first place. I'm not saying anything against the closers but most times those dramatic finishers get more credit than those who dominate the whole game/

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by I am Happy View Post
    Lebron is far and away the MVP of this year. Set stats aside (which Lebron has unbiasly the best stat lines in terms of production)...set team record aside....I will say it, Lebron is the greatest leader in the game. Over Kobe, yes. He has an uncanny ability to put his team in sync with one another and draw out maximum abilities from players that would disappear given that they weren't playing with Lebron. Ie. JJ Hickson. Look at his production when Lebron was out recently for 2 games. Golden State alone has 3 or 4 JJ Hickson's. Hickson is nothing special. People downplay Lebron's inhert ability to put players in sync with what his, and the organizations' brand of basketball is - His ability to mesh personalities for common cause because of his uncanny leadership, and quite frankly the fact that his personality is welcoming in life.

Wrong..

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

Like Durant .. but he likes to score .. I would agree with Williams on the fact that if you watch LeBron play he does make everyone better ... I am not a LeBron supporter but his passing is amazing .. he finds open guys all over the place as well as he cannot be stopped going to hoop as we all know, but this is because of his body size, strength and quickness, not ALL talent

lakerboy

Lets face it Lebron is gonna win it for obvious reasons and you can argue any way you want but to me Durant has done alot this year. That team wasnt even a playoff team last year. They only won 22 games last year and this year have won 41 aready and are only 4 games behind the nuggets. The cavs won 66 games last year and this year they arent gonna do that despite adding shaq and a couple of others. Yes i know its hard to improve on 66 wins but they have regressed. The thunder are one of the best stories in the league and they have done this with pretty much the same roster . Both guys are great but you take both away from there respective teams and i think the cavs still win 40 games and the thunder would be lost.

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by obamaismyuncle View Post
    Wrong..
    Obama, if you watch "thug ball" as you call it, you will quickly see that Lebron is in a league of his own at this point. Analysts stopped debating MVP months ago and the newest debate is who is second. Lebron not only tops Durant in nearly every statistical category, but his intagibles are off the charts.

lyon804

My MVP voting is a little different than most... My MVP vote changes on a nightly basis. I vote for the one that makes me money that nite. NBA players are employees for sharp gamblers and we vote accordingly. My MVP vote for last nite was Aaron Brooks of Houston. He played a good game and hit the jumper in the closing seconds so that game did not go into overtime and then I would have probably lost as usual because I lose every overtime game it seems.

I am sure i will have a different MVP tonite.
    Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave lyon804 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

williams22

Lets face it Lebron is gonna win it for obvious reasons and you can argue any way you want but to me Durant has done alot this year. That team wasnt even a playoff team last year. They only won 22 games last year and this year have won 41 aready and are only 4 games behind the nuggets. The cavs won 66 games last year and this year they arent gonna do that despite adding shaq and a couple of others. Yes i know its hard to improve on 66 wins but they have regressed. The thunder are one of the best stories in the league and they have done this with pretty much the same roster . Both guys are great but you take both away from there respective teams and i think the cavs still win 40 games and the thunder would be lost.
    I disagree here. Obviously Durant is a great player, he's just not to the level of Lebron yet and I don't think he'll ever get there. Scoring he can match Lebron, but when you talk about just about any other aspect it isn't even close.

Like I said, imagine swapping Durant and Lebron. I guarantee you the Thunder win more games and the Cavs win less, isn't that a clear enough indicator of who is better?

Also, don't undervalue Lebron's leadership outside of just his amazing unselfishness. The guy has built a team and created synergies that help those around him be better. Had JJ Hickson played alongside Durant for 2 years instead of Lebron he wouldn't be anywhere where he is today.

lyon804

Thanks for the point LB.. I am glad you like my humor.

shoebox
    shoebox's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lebron wins the MVP this year, and in a knicks jersey next year, Sorry williams your boy is gonna leave enjoy it while it lasts.

123 Last