gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    By the way, Starks, Oakley, Anthony Mason, although not Hall of Famers were not exactly chopped liver.
    Starks in-game dunk vs. Bulls = greatest basketball play ever...... only thing i can compare it to is NC State shot falling short and Lorenzo Charles dumping it in the basket..........

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    Starks in-game dunk vs. Bulls = greatest basketball play ever...... only thing i can compare it to is NC State shot falling short and Lorenzo Charles dumping it in the basket..........

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

MVP 2 years in a row, i think........ not too many have done that... push come to shove, i do agree with you

how would we define the eras?............... i'm thinking someone looks at things statistically for changes to the game.
    Nash played in the golden age of point guards.

Nash, Kidd, Stockton........

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1646

pistol pete marovitch
    better than stockton
    amazing vision

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16136

Ewing would be great in the modern game. I expect he'd be shooting threes like Brook Lopez. Put a forward on him and he can take him in the post. Great defender/ paint protector. Yes he had a shit supporting cast in his time. Not chopped liver? Well that's besides the point aint it? You need other stars to win a championship. Bryant had prime time Shaq, then he had Gasol/ Odom/ Bynum -a treasure trove of talented bigs.

The thing that sticks in my mind about the Bulls' reign is they had a cake walk every year. The Jazz had just two stars and they weren't at all dynamic... Malone needed Stockton to get the ball to him and Stockton needed to get the ball to someone else. They year before that there was the Sonics. S.Kemp was like B.Griffin... Imagine if they'd gone against Durant's Warriors like James' Cavs did. Or the Spurs!

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

You would think a still active player that already has two NBA finals MVP awards, two defensive player of the year awards, an All Star MVP award under his belt already all by the age of 28 would sniff at least a mention?
    And he won the one MVP guarding Lebron in the finals.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

Quote Originally Posted by clockwise1965 View Post
    Listing by the generation would probably be the best way to evaluate all players.
    Give us the timeframe. No one cared about the NBA before early 80s.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

MVP 2 years in a row, i think........ not too many have done that... push come to shove, i do agree with you

how would we define the eras?............... i'm thinking someone looks at things statistically for changes to the game.
    Nash won MVP averaging 15 and 12 bro. Enough of this foolishness. Kobe averaged like 36 a game that year with Smush Parker and Kwame Brown as starters.

Curry? Guy has 3 titles, won all three in his prime years, and never even came close to getting MVP once. Don't even go down this road , you'll get embarassed. Curry himself said Bryant was much better than him. F are you smoking?

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by IBetYou View Post
    Ewing would be great in the modern game. I expect he'd be shooting threes like Brook Lopez. Put a forward on him and he can take him in the post. Great defender/ paint protector. Yes he had a shit supporting cast in his time. Not chopped liver? Well that's besides the point aint it? You need other stars to win a championship. Bryant had prime time Shaq, then he had Gasol/ Odom/ Bynum -a treasure trove of talented bigs.

The thing that sticks in my mind about the Bulls' reign is they had a cake walk every year. The Jazz had just two stars and they weren't at all dynamic... Malone needed Stockton to get the ball to him and Stockton needed to get the ball to someone else. They year before that there was the Sonics. S.Kemp was like B.Griffin... Imagine if they'd gone against Durant's Warriors like James' Cavs did. Or the Spurs!
    James got DESTROYED 8 games to 1 over the course of 2 years. Had a great team as well. James no where near Bryant or Jordan when it comes to championship pedigree. He plays defense in small spurts then he makes a big block and everyone thinks he's the best defender. Look at the 2010 celtics series vs. Kobe. What Kobe did to Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. Smothered.

IBetYou

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    James got DESTROYED 8 games to 1 over the course of 2 years. Had a great team as well. James no where near Bryant or Jordan when it comes to championship pedigree. He plays defense in small spurts then he makes a big block and everyone thinks he's the best defender. Look at the 2010 celtics series vs. Kobe. What Kobe did to Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. Smothered.
    That wasn't Bryant's defense that was the twin towers clogging the lane. Lakers completely shut down the lane in that series, and it wasn't helped by Perkins having zero offensive ability. Rondo & T.Allen also non-shooters. Wallace - one of the few shooters they had - endured a severe back injury in that series, and he faded badly in the pivotal game 7 as the Celtics blew a good lead. I remember it well...

IBetYou

Pierce torched Bryant in the '08 finals. Where was Bryant's defense then?

No Bynum that's why. You overlook shot-blocking. It's why stiffs like Gobert are still coveted in this league.

IBetYou

Come to think of it Artest was the one that had Pierce. Fisher was chasing around Allen. Bryant had Rondo. You're talking nonsense.

Goat Milk

Come to think of it Artest was the one that had Pierce. Fisher was chasing around Allen. Bryant had Rondo. You're talking nonsense.
    Bryant guarded Rondo in the 4th quarters. Cut the head off the snake. Bryant guarded Pierce and Allen for multiple quarters, many plays. Not talking nonsense at all.

Goat Milk

Pierce torched Bryant in the '08 finals. Where was Bryant's defense then?

No Bynum that's why. You overlook shot-blocking. It's why stiffs like Gobert are still coveted in this league.
    Pierce torched Bryant? Pierce never torched Bryant at any point in their careers. You're a straight hater. Keep looking at your book of stats. Probably never made a reverse layup in ur life.

IBetYou

That's simply not true. The point was to save Bryant for the offensive end. Rondo was the easiest cover because he couldn't shoot.

IBetYou

Pierce torched Bryant? Pierce never torched Bryant at any point in their careers. You're a straight hater. Keep looking at your book of stats. Probably never made a reverse layup in ur life.
    Yeah, you with your revisionist history and I'm the hater , fan boy.

IBetYou

Artest was a 250Ib guy. Who do you imagine him guarding if Bryant was on Pierce? Was he chasing Allen around screens all day

Goat Milk

That's simply not true. The point was to save Bryant for the offensive end. Rondo was the easiest cover because he couldn't shoot.
    Kobe guarded PGs a lot near end of games all through his prime years. Fact that you're trying to rationalize Kobe being outside the top 5 shows how little you know.

You realize KG Allen Pierce Rondo is arguably one of the greatest teams ever assembled in history. And very easily the best defensive team ever after the Rodman Jordan Pippen team. You're talking about Sheed and Tony Allen but those two guys were monsters defensively as well, Sheed also made some timely shots in that series.

Goat Milk

Artest was a 250Ib guy. Who do you imagine him guarding if Bryant was on Pierce? Was he chasing Allen around screens all day
    Artest was primary matchup on Pierce... guy didn't play 48 min a game. There's a lot of switches too in a bsketball game. Bryant beat that team with Pau Gasol Ron Artest and Lamar Odom bro, enough said. Only 1 hall of famer on Kobe's side vs. 4 for Boston.

IBetYou

Kobe guarded PGs a lot near end of games all through his prime years. Fact that you're trying to rationalize Kobe being outside the top 5 shows how little you know.

You realize KG Allen Pierce Rondo is arguably one of the greatest teams ever assembled in history. And very easily the best defensive team ever after the Rodman Jordan Pippen team. You're talking about Sheed and Tony Allen but those two guys were monsters defensively as well, Sheed also made some timely shots in that series.
    They were outstanding defensively. I liked that team. V.poor offensively though. Too many non-shooters.

IBetYou

Artest was primary matchup on Pierce... guy didn't play 48 min a game. There's a lot of switches too in a bsketball game. Bryant beat that team with Pau Gasol Ron Artest and Lamar Odom bro, enough said. Only 1 hall of famer on Kobe's side vs. 4 for Boston.
    You left out Bynum. Why? Because he didn't have a long career? He was the difference between '08 & '10.

Goat Milk

They were outstanding defensively. I liked that team. V.poor offensively though. Too many non-shooters.
    Not poor offensively at all. Pierce Garnett and Ray Allen all in their primes and were 3 of the greatest offensive players in NBA history....

That team is one of the greats. Bryant was easily outmatched in that series, had 2 broken fingers on his SHOOTING HAND, straight up mangled, as well as a fukked up shoulder.

Goat Milk

You left out Bynum. Why? Because he didn't have a long career? He was the difference between '08 & '10.
    Bynum was a good player, but Bryant won that series. Did you ever go back and watch it? I've never, in all my years of watching NBA finals, decades worth, have I seen a player get double teamed that many times over teh course of a series in an NBA finals. Just ridiculous. Guy would catch the ball at the free throw line, and there would be a trap there. Guy would take two dribbles towards the paint and KG would be waiting everywhere for him. Was insane. Bryant won that series.

IBetYou

He played about 3/4 of the game. Then it was either Vujacic or Radmanovic -if the later then it would be status quo. HUGE team... Radmanovic 6'10 at SF, Gasol with that wingspan, then Bynum, not to mention 6'7 Bryant in teh backcourt.

IBetYou

Not poor offensively at all. Pierce Garnett and Ray Allen all in their primes and were 3 of the greatest offensive players in NBA history....

That team is one of the greats. Bryant was easily outmatched in that series, had 2 broken fingers on his SHOOTING HAND, straight up mangled, as well as a fukked up shoulder.
    Doesn't matter who the 3 stars are if there's two other guys that can't shoot. Rondo/ T.Allen/ L.Powe/ Perkins...

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

They should of kept James Posey

Goat Milk

What happened the 2 towers in 2012 when OKC faced the Lakers? What happeend to Meta? Literally Bryant a one man team despite being the oldest player on that team. Averaged over 30 that series. Joke.

IBetYou

What happened the 2 towers in 2012 when OKC faced the Lakers? What happeend to Meta? Literally Bryant a one man team despite being the oldest player on that team. Averaged over 30 that series. Joke.
    Thunder were heavy favs in that series -this was the year they went to the finals. Bryant was dire on the back end of his career including this series. Shot way too much. Not able to involve his teammates the way James did/ does. Ramon Sessions was their pg (no Fisher, no Odom). Poor team

Goat Milk

Thunder were heavy favs in that series -this was the year they went to the finals. Bryant was dire on the back end of his career including this series. Shot way too much. Not able to involve his teammates the way James did/ does. Ramon Sessions was their pg (no Fisher, no Odom). Poor team
    Bynum, Bryant, Meta, Pau... Bryant was on back end? He was best player on the court by far in that series. Durant himself said it after the series, "we couldn't stop him." How is someone averaging over 30 in a series on the back end of career?

Point here is Bryant's teams for b2b rings was TRASH. That's easily, very easily, in the modern NBA, the worst team ever to win b2b titles.

Lebron involved his teammates so much, he had to go join one of the greatest players in history (Wade) and one of the best PFs ever in Bosh to win his 2 rings. Bosh himself is a better player than Pau. Imagine if Kobe had Wade and Bosh? Would have won 4 straight rings easily.

Lebron against Dallas in prime (29 years old) of career? Lmao averaged less than 2 ppg in the 4th quarters of that series.

Buried.

stevenash

Ewing was a terrible long range shooter.
    Terrific defender, no denying, was never a great shooter.

Ewing was 19 for 125 from beyond the 3 point arc lifetime.
    I'll say that again. 19 for 125.
    That's 15 percent.

I understand if there's 2 seconds left on the shot clock sometimes you have no choice but to hoist up a three point shot, however if I was Ewing's coach and Patrick willingly attempted a three, I pull his ass from the game and bench him.

People have this conception that Ewing was a good shooter.
    Hardly, I would love him on my team as a defensive center though.

IBetYou

Ewing was a terrible long range shooter.
    Terrific defender, no denying, was never a great shooter.

Ewing was 19 for 125 from beyond the 3 point arc lifetime.
    I'll say that again. 19 for 125.
    That's 15 percent.

I understand if there's 2 seconds left on the shot clock sometimes you have no choice but to hoist up a three point shot, however if I was Ewing's coach and Patrick willingly attempted a three, I pull his ass from the game and bench him.

People have this conception that Ewing was a good shooter.
    Hardly, I would love him on my team as a defensive center though.
    I'm saying a coach in today's game would ask him to stretch out his range a bit, hence the comparison to Lopez. Lopez spent the early part of his career as a low post scorer, then drifted out to shooting from the top of the key like Ewing, and then finally a coach with a brain got him to shoot threes regularly.

IBetYou

Bynum, Bryant, Meta, Pau... Bryant was on back end? He was best player on the court by far in that series. Durant himself said it after the series, "we couldn't stop him." How is someone averaging over 30 in a series on the back end of career?

Point here is Bryant's teams for b2b rings was TRASH. That's easily, very easily, in the modern NBA, the worst team ever to win b2b titles.

Lebron involved his teammates so much, he had to go join one of the greatest players in history (Wade) and one of the best PFs ever in Bosh to win his 2 rings. Bosh himself is a better player than Pau. Imagine if Kobe had Wade and Bosh? Would have won 4 straight rings easily.

Lebron against Dallas in prime (29 years old) of career? Lmao averaged less than 2 ppg in the 4th quarters of that series.

Buried.
    Good that you buried yourself after proclaiming Bosh one of the best PFs ever. Suitable punishment.
    Last edited by IBetYou; 05-16-20 at 09:34 AM.

stevenash

I'm saying a coach in today's game would ask him to stretch out his range a bit, hence the comparison to Lopez. Lopez spent the early part of his career as a low post scorer, then drifted out to shooting from the top of the key like Ewing, and then finally a coach with a brain got him to shoot threes regularly.
    I really like Brook Lopez's entire skill set now.

IBetYou

I really like Brook Lopez's entire skill set now.
    Me too. He went from highly overrated in LA to underrated in Milwaukee. Now every team wants someone like him.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Man that Lakers Celtics finals was the last time teams really played defense and guys got mauled in the paint without fifty reviews. Just good old fashioned basketball.

Pierce always faked being better than Kobe which was an easy thing to do when he had prime Garnett in the paint on defense and ray Allen to prohibit him from getting doubled. Kobe had more responsibility as the star of his team and had to do more. That always bothered me no one brought it up. If Kobe had been allowed to simply do one or two thing that Pierce did he would have easily surpassed him in every facet of the game.

Can't believe no one mentioned gasol, he was the best player on the floor in game 7 despite artests big shot

First 123456 Last