bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Celtics & T-Wolves discussing Garnett trade again

I though KG told Boston to basically say go to hell. Now why would those two clowns Ainge and McHale think he would possibly changed his mind going to play for that horrible team anyways.

Sources: Celtics & T-Wolves discussing Garnett trade again

The Minnesota Timberwolves and Boston Celtics, who nearly completed a blockbuster Kevin Garnett trade before the June draft, have resurrected those trade talks and are again in serious discussions, according to NBA front-office sources.

Kevin Garnett

Sources told ESPN.com on Sunday night that former teammates Kevin McHale and Danny Ainge have revived a deal that would end Garnett's 12-season association with Minnesota by sending him to Ainge's Celtics, with the Wolves getting back two of the assets McHale coveted most last month: Al Jefferson and Theo Ratliff's expiring contract.

The deal, however, depends on Garnett softening his stance on playing in Boston, with sources indicating late Sunday that Garnett could be warming to the idea.

Garnett effectively blocked the Celtics' first attempt at trading for him by making it clear, through agent Andy Miller, that he would opt out of the final year of his contract -- which is worth $23 million -- and leave the Celtics in the summer of 2008 because he doesn't want to play there. Unless it wants to part with the blossoming Jefferson for a one-year KG rental, Boston has to have a strong indication that it can keep Garnett long-term before making the trade.

But Garnett might now be amenable to the move, after the fiercely loyal 31-year-old learned how far along the Wolves were in negotiations with Boston in June ... and with the Celtics responding to the breakdown of its initial KG pursuit by trading the fifth overall pick in the draft to Seattle for All-Star shooting guard Ray Allen.

Expensive as it would be, Celtics management is understandably salivating at the prospect of teaming Garnett with Allen and franchise mainstay Paul Pierce.

It's believed that the latest incarnation of the deal would require Boston to package Gerald Green and Sebastian Telfair with Jefferson and Ratliff in exchange for Garnett. It's also likely that other players and/or draft picks would be added to the package if the deal gets Garnett's signoff.

Miller could not be reached Sunday night. When the first round of Wolves-Celtics talks went public at draft time, Miller told ESPN.com: "If a trade were to happen, that's not a destination that we're interested in pursuing."

Jay Edgar
    Jay Edgar's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ray Allen is the only other possible reason that he'd be more interested in Boston than he was a month earlier.

I think the deal as it's being now reported actually makes sense for both teams. As somebody who goes to Minny games, I'm reasonably excited that the product is going to be appreciably better within two years. If KG spent his declining years here I doubt they'd ever see the 2d round in the West again.
    Last edited by Jay Edgar; 07-30-07 at 05:35 PM.

Wheell
    Wheell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1022

I just want to read Bill Simmons next column.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Looks like a good trade for both teams. The Celtics are obviously trying to win now, and in the East a lineup that features KG, Pierce and Allen will certainly contend. They still need a PG, and although Rondo may one day be the answer, he's still largely unproven and often a poor decision maker, while also being among the worst shooters in the league. The C's also lack depth and a REAL head coach, but again, it's the Eastern Conference. Before this trade, Boston may have been the worst defensive team in the league, with Pierce and Allen on the perimeter and Jefferson down low (as good as Jefferson is and may one day become, he's a huge liability defensively). Garnett will improve their interior defense immensely.

Minnesota made out very well. They get a very good young player in Jefferson who's yet to reach his potential, an intriguing prospect in Gerald Green, cap room after Ratliff's deal expires and a couple future draft picks.

Nice trade for both teams. The C's are once again relevant, while Minny now has a nice young core to build around in Jefferson, Foye, Brewer and Craig Smith, as well as some cap space.

JBC77
    JBC77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 303

The Celtics don't have much of a supporting cast now. They shouldn't have gotten rid of Delonte West.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by JBC77 View Post
    The Celtics don't have much of a supporting cast now. They shouldn't have gotten rid of Delonte West.
    Who knows what Ainge will do, or is allowed to do, but if they don't keep spending into the luxory tax this could all be for nothing. It's not a great mix team wise. They need some dirty work guys around the hoop and a PG who can handle the press.

Anyone else think Paul looks like they pulled him out of rehab for these "big 3" photos?

JBC77
    JBC77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 303

I wonder if Ray Allen minus his ankles will do any good. Can he even stay healthy all year? I don't know man.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Quote Originally Posted by JBC77 View Post
    I wonder if Ray Allen minus his ankles will do any good. Can he even stay healthy all year? I don't know man.
    If the team is really good and can blow out teams by middle of the third they can rest during the 4th. If they are grinding out wins in the 4th I think they wil be spent by the playoffs.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Apparently the Celtics also acquired Paul Pierce from the Celtics.