jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Metta World Peace says he was approached multiple times to throw games while playing

Metta World Peace, the basketball player formerly known as Ron Artest, told Yahoo Sports that on multiple occasions he was approached to fix games when he played for St. John's in the late 1990s.
    The 18-year NBA veteran specifically noted he was once offered $35,000 to throw a St. John's game, and that he was approached in his neighborhood. He did not specify who attempted to bribe him.
    "I've been approached in college," Metta World Peace admits in the video embedded below. "I got approached a couple times to throw games. The one interesting time, they come to me in my neighborhood and say, 'Hey, you know, I got $35,000 for you.' I'm like, 'All right, that's cool. I'll take $35,000.' They said, 'We need you to throw a game.' I said, that's when I'm like, 'You a—hole.' But it crossed my mind: $35,000 to throw a game? Not bad. But, you know, that's the problem. When you don't have no money, they find these kids that don't have money and attack them. But it's like, what if I was some kid that was a little scared? 'OK, I'll do it.'"

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I remember when he got pulled over driving some kind of Indy car.

jjgold

This is bad

Regulation going to be stifling

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

JJ. All players will have to take training for game fixing prevention now

RangeFinder
    RangeFinder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2697

This happens all the time to college players

More than anyone knows

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Malice in the palace - the guy is a NUT - This dope act like fix Games hasn’t already happen? Legal or illegal
    Last edited by ikid2groove415; 05-17-18 at 07:36 PM.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

This is not news Mr. Gold.

He played East Coast college ball in the 90's, it was par for the course. Shit was winding down then but those players that were into gambling didn't get a choice.

What Artest isn't mentioning is that the 35K wasn't an "offer", it was more likely relief of debt.

He took the relief, shaved the points, then told the world about it years later.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    This is not news Mr. Gold.

He played East Coast college ball in the 90's, it was par for the course. Shit was winding down then but those players that were into gambling didn't get a choice.

What Artest isn't mentioning is that the 35K wasn't an "offer", it was more likely relief of debt.

He took the relief, shaved the points, then told the world about it years later.
    yup

prop bets are where the dirty stuff goes down these days though.
    Points Awarded:

19th Hole gave Grits n' Gravy 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

KVB gave Grits n' Gravy 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: A4K

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11862

Tell us something we don't already know.. Happened more often in Boxing.. Individual man sports.. Team sports it gets a little tricky because one person on team can't always absolutely affect a game out come. Bribers know this..

I worry betting on aging MMA fighters as they seem most vulnerable to get tempted to throw fights for bigger pay outs outside the checks they get from the MMA organizations.. I can see that happening alot in MMA and in some of the big fights also.. Makes me stop and think twice at times when capping.. You just never know??? Main reason I keep my MMA betting to $100 a play mostly, get nervous to load up at times on an obvious play.....

I've seen alot of PRO MMA fighters give up their necks with very little resistance at times. Sketchy KO's too. Leaves me scratching my head..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 05-18-18 at 12:15 AM.

kyhawk
    kyhawk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7806

Guy is a psycho. Hard to believe.

jjgold

sports betting is bad

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

When did this asshat ever have anything to do with the outcome of a game? Ever seen his "shot"? He never had a clue if it was going in? I guess they could have just told him to take 20+ shots, that would surely cement the outcome!

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    When did this asshat ever have anything to do with the outcome of a game? Ever seen his "shot"? He never had a clue if it was going in? I guess they could have just told him to take 20+ shots, that would surely cement the outcome!
    The coach would bench him and not even give him the opportunity to effect a game late if he was tanking early on..

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Artest was a wreck. Widened his perspective a lot when MWP.
    Remember lots of missed 3's... would not surprise me at all
    if some were intentional.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Artest was a wreck. Widened his perspective a lot when MWP.
    Remember lots of missed 3's... would not surprise me at all
    if some were intentional.
    That would be implying dude could shoot. Pretty sure if I'm trying to fix a game that unstable goodball be last place I'd look.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Game 7 against Celtics. Dude was balling on defense also and truth he won that game at end also

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Game 7 against Celtics. Dude was balling on defense also and truth he won that game at end also
    He could definitely d some guys up and bring some serious energy to a game. Just wouldn't be guy I would approach bout fixing a game!!

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

He was an all NBA player before career got derailed by white trash thinking it is ok to throw beer on someone who is at work.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Artest was at one point the best 2 way player in the nba and a top 3 candidate for mvp before the malice at the palace

He would've destroyed anyone in the league today in a brawl. Guy was a real ball player just a little nuts

You guys need to get your bball knowledge up
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Grits n' Gravy

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

He could definitely d some guys up and bring some serious energy to a game. Just wouldn't be guy I would approach bout fixing a game!!
    Nearly everybody was groomed to be approached. The best leverage was when these guys liked to gamble, and as friends they gambled together.

The idea that some guy just approached another with a big cash offer out of the blue is almost a myth. It occurred, buy it was very rare and not the MO of the regular betting crews.

There's too much risk in the player reporting you that way, it's better when the player is tied into it, with an established relationship. Even if that relationship was with a low level bookie or associates.

El Terrible
    El Terrible's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I remember when he got pulled over driving some kind of Indy car.

I remember when he got a minimum wage job at Circuit City when he was playing for the Bulls

El Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by RangeFinder View Post
    This happens all the time to college players

More than anyone knows
    I think everyone knows it happens all the time?

jjgold

Artest was always good player

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Tell us something we don't already know.. Happened more often in Boxing...
    Happened more often?

This tells me that you may watch boxing, maybe even follow boxing, and have read a lot of stories.

It also tells me that you may not understand how the sport of boxing works, with the exception of local lower level matches.

Without giving much detail with first person knowledge, let me just say it has nothing to do with the boxer and his skill.

Promoter's are the decision makers in those arenas and there are layers of protection.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Lower name school games rigged regularly. No one reason touts always try to sell college picks

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 159

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Lower name school games rigged regularly. No one reason touts always try to sell college picks
    No they arnyttt

the only gm that was obv rigged this year was Fsu Michigan

jjgold

MMA the worst

Fixes all the time

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvegas13 View Post
    No they arnyttt

the only gm that was obv rigged this year was Fsu Michigan
    That is not an example of lower name schools.

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 159

That is not an example of lower name schools.
    Give me an example of a lower named schhoooll

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Happened more often?

This tells me that you may watch boxing, maybe even follow boxing, and have read a lot of stories.

It also tells me that you may not understand how the sport of boxing works, with the exception of local lower level matches.

Without giving much detail with first person knowledge, let me just say it has nothing to do with the boxer and his skill.

Promoter's are the decision makers in those arenas and there are layers of protection.
    Jibby is a blowhard pussy of very limited intelligence who pisses sitting down. You are going way over his head here.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Jibby is a blowhard pussy of very limited intelligence who pisses sitting down. You are going way over his head here.
    Speak for yourself Gritters.. I know and understand everything spewed out on this forum Einstein.. Nothing gets past me.. Fixed sports gambling is old news...

Please reset and retry again pal..

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvegas13 View Post
    Give me an example of a lower named schhoooll
    Non ranked schools that have low volume and when bets come in on them the monitor moves.

El Terrible

Non ranked schools that have low volume and when bets come in on them the monitor moves.
    You're wrong Lakerboy, a high profile highly bet game is more apt to be fixed. You can't put 100k on Alcon State vs Prairie View without people noticing.

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

Pros are not going to throw games, that's just fuking dumb, they make so much money. This law doesn't change anything... lets not pretend that the crooks were just waiting for gambling to be legal before organizing a fix. Maybe college you have an argument.

12 Last