bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Could the Pistons pursue Papaloukas?

Could the Pistons pursue Papaloukas?

Keith Lanlois, former Oakland Press and current Pistons.com writer, has a new mailbag column where he answers fan questions. Unfortunately Langlois spends most of his time answering horrible questions about making a trade with the Knicks for Marbury and Francis. One question was worth noting today. It was about European sensation Theo Papaloukas.

June 14, Pistons.com: Curtis (Lansing): I hear that Theo Papaloukas is interested in coming to the NBA, that guy from Greece who torched the USA in the World Championships. One of the teams he's interested in is Detroit. Any interest there?
    Langlois: The Pistons have a strong presence in Europe and they've been one of the NBA's elite teams for the past five years, so it's not surprising Papaloukas - generally considered the best player in the world not in the NBA - would have interest in them. At 6-foot-7, Papaloukas can play both guard spots and is regarded as a terrifically heady player who isn't great at anything in particular. If the Pistons' re-sign Chauncey Billups, as expected, Papaloukas might have greater value - and be able to win a bigger contract - out of somebody else. But, sure, he's a name to keep in mind for the Pistons - again, after the draft.

It should be noted that the Free Press had a similarly vague note about the Pistons interest in Papaloukas at the end of May.

May 26, Detroit Free Press: • Free-agent Greek guard Theo Papaloukas, thought to be the highest-paid player in Europe, is "drawing interest" from the Pistons, Suns and Hawks, according to a story posted at SBRForum.com.
    Whether the Pistons are interested are not, Papaloukas may decide to not even play in the NBA. Reports out of Moscow had the Greek star claiming he would decide in around a week, so we should expect some indication any day now.

June 6, SBR Forum: CSKA Moscow's Euroleague MVP Theo Papaloukas is seriously considering a switch to the NBA.
    Papaloukas, who spearheaded Greece's upset of Team USA's star-laden team in last year's FIBA World Championship semifinals, spoke to the Sport-Express newspaper in Moscow about his dilemma.

"I have some offers from the NBA but I must decide whether I should go or whether it's better to stay," he said. "I will decide in about a week. I won't consider any other European clubs except CSKA."
    Here's some video highlights to give you a small taste of Papaloukas.

gazzso
    gazzso's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, it is true that Papaloukas is one heck of a player, but I wouldn't count on him ever coming to NBA. First of all, he is a classic European type of a player. High technique and great game understanding, below average athleticism. If anybody remembers Bodiroga, comparison is very accurate. Also, he is dominating in European League, while he would be buried on the bench in NBA. Him being already at the age of 30, I believe he won't just let couple of years pass with insignificant playing time.
    Finally, as I hear CSKA Moscow (his former & current club) offered him about 3mil$ per season to stay, and that is about the same amount of money he could get from any NBA team. Rumour has it, Papaloukas already accepted the offer for 3 years.