Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    More like when the kids are 17. But this is the only clean way out. There is always a financial influence in supply and demand. It's getting old seeing schools go on probation for a solvable problem. It's already at one and done. So you will only be missing the best players for a year anyway. And that's maybe 15 kids? The nba is looking at the success of the summer league and paying for better talent in the g-league to keep players in country. This will shift the college sports to find a way for financial compensation as their billion dollar tv deals may suffer with a slightly inferior product. The fair way is to give players a percentage of their jersey sales. People talk about "well how are you gonna pay the swim team as well...". Like everything else, the market will determine your value, and no one is buying stanford speedos. Nor are they paying billions to broadcast swim meets. The facade of amateurism while schools make billions and coaches make millions annually is on it's last legs.
    You'll never stop shoe companies from wanting to place high profile kids at the schools the shoe companies endorse. When Adidas pays Louisville $20 mils a year for the right to sell Adidas Louisville gear, then it is in Adidas best interest to make sure Louisville has a great team and thus Adidas can sell more Louisville apparel and make money on their investment. If Adidas has to pay a little extra off the books to make sure Louisville has great players on their team (which is exactly what this probe was about), then they'll do it

I don't see how changing college rules will change that entire dynamic unless you forbid colleges from licensing their own apparel to these big shoe companies.

The facts are that the basketball teams at these colleges (and football too at some places) move merchandise for Nike/Adidas/UnderArmour. These companies need those teams that they are paying huge fees too, to be great teams. And they'll make sure the players needed to be great, get there.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

^^And they will get the best of the rest. But when the FBI gets involved, and we only have the preliminary info, things will change. They are seriously talking about imprisoning coaches. FBI has a far reach, and the shoe companies are not untouchable. Non-compliance here is not good for the shoe companies. They can give significant money to the schools to upgrade and make it the best choice for an athlete, much like Texas did with the locker rooms etc. But when they FBI get heavily involved there will be ethical standards adhered to, or suffer the consequences.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    I doubt they'll do this, but what you described is basically how they do it in Europe with all sports (basketball and soccer). They do it like that in the Dominican Republic for baseball tho the kids have to be 16 to be professional.

Makes sense on alot of levels

If my child was good enough to be trained as a professional from age 16 or so, I'd much rather have them sign with a shoe company and be trained by them, than go thru college basketball. Tennis does this right now. Boys/Girls age 13 start at Pro Tennis Academies run by agents like IMG and start training to be pros.
    It should be done in a way like this, but the NCAA is a greedy bastard. They knew/know what is going on. This isn't even the tip of the iceberg, but the FBI will make their statement with some schools, and be out. They are going for the shoe/apparel companies. So, those that pay with booster money will walk. World Wide Wes lives to see another day.

Anyway, the NCAA is a farce. Something needs to be figured out. They are needed for most sports, as most student athletes aren't going to be professionals. But, there has to be a way for those that don't want to go to College and just pursue their professional career to be worked out. Even for kids that want to do both.

I assume Europeans still go to school while they play ball, but aren't bound to that school because of a sport. Need to leave the school option open for those that pursue a career, but don't make it.

Tennis is a bit different, as you can suck and still make money losing constantly. Plus, your family probably has money already.

Someone needs to figure it out, but the NCAA won't. I'm curious if the FBI goes after CFB. They are going after Alabama BB, but not Football?

The B1G, and SEC would be shut down if the FBI went at them. All the money is from boosters though, so tougher to find. They got these morons on tape because they thought they only had to hide from the NCAA. Opps.

Jim L, Sean Miller...you're up next. Today should be another fun day.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

"They are going for the shoe/apparel companies. "

Exactly Cuse. this is why there is FBI involvement. They are beyond the reach of the ncaa so the government was involved as the ultimate authority to stop this. Risking school probation for a few years and scholarships is one thing, but being imprisoned and universities being more publicly disgraced and causing coaching changes is another.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    "They are going for the shoe/apparel companies. "

Exactly Cuse. this is why there is FBI involvement. They are beyond the reach of the ncaa so the government was involved as the ultimate authority to stop this. Risking school probation for a few years and scholarships is one thing, but being imprisoned and universities being more publicly disgraced and causing coaching changes is another.
    Yep. This is why I think the NCAA will be fine. The FBI will make their stand, and send their message. They can take their badge of honor, and move on after knocking out a few big names. Pitino was their whale. He went first to send the ultimate statement. Assistants getting popped have already started talking, I'm sure. Prison is a whole different thing for these guys.

Larranaga, Miller, Enfield, Pearl, Martin, Avery, and whoever coaches Okie State will all probably be gone. Who knows though. Pearl definitely. May take a minute for the rest, but they should all move on.

Gonna be interesting, as practice starts up like tomorrow. Players should be getting ruled ineligible. Lonnie Walker at Miami. Quinerly at Zona. Two guys that the Cuse backed away from even when they were in our backyard, hmmmm.

Zona better get smashed. Getting top 5 classes with kids all across the country. Quinerly said he didn't care where he went as long as his family was taken care of. Well, Book took care of it. Miller is done, they have too much on him. Same with Jim L. All the coaches really. The FBI fooled all the cheating bastards.

Yet, the NCAA was up the ass of Syracuse for a decade. What did they find? Players got jobs at the YMCA. Players smoked weed, which isn't actually against NCAA rules unless the University makes it one, which SU did unfortunately. And the big one, a kid from Brazil got help on a paper to articulate his words as English was his third language. The horror.

I hope all these schools go down. We have finally dug out of the bullshit hole, so fck them and I'll take the easier path to recruits and winning. Plus, our future PG was down to Cuse, and Miami. Haaah.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Hoops fine

College Hoops starting to get better again

I am into it

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Good posting in here

jjgold