S.K.M.
    S.K.M.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

Star Player Injury Thread

Ive been saying for a while on this forum how every time a key player is injured their team wins ATS. I would like to start keeping better track of it and see how it does. It is difficult to come up with specific rules though for what is a play and what isn't. I think we only get an advantage if it is the first game that the player misses. It also has to be a key player and sometimes that is difficult to classify as well. It also has to be a fairly well publicized injury to make sure that the public is aware of it and the oddsmakers have adjusted it to reflect public perception. I will try to post in here daily but if you guys come up with one please post it in here. I sometimes get lazy and don't do all my homework. Hopefully someone other than me is interested in this.

S.K.M.

Some recent examples off the top of my head:

Chris Paul is out line goes from 5 to 7.5 at Memphis they win straight up

Carmelo was out the other night in Houston and they won straight up as 2.5 point dogs

Tony Parker out against Memphis spurs cover

The fiddler
    The fiddler's Avatar Become A Pro!

What's Portland's record since Roy went down? Tonight they won outright as 8.5 dog in Dallas. But that really doesn't mean shit. Dallas is 1-11 at home over their last 12 home games ATS.

Cuban's team is an effin joke.

S.K.M.

You make a good point but Roy's situation has been going on for a while now and everyone knows that the Blazers can get it done without him. Im not sure how much of an advantage there is here. I am curious as to what Portland's ATS record is when he doesn't play?

sweetjones55
    554-381 (59.2%) NBA/WNBA/Football Record
    sweetjones55's Avatar Become A Pro!

Carmelo was out last night vs OKC, OKC rolled.

Gopi-1
    NBA 2009-2010 -- 1-0-0
    Gopi-1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 368

Does the Nets' win over the Clips without Devin Harris count? I don't even know if a Nets win matters here, it's far and few in between...

S.K.M.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjones55 View Post
    Carmelo was out last night vs OKC, OKC rolled.
    You are correct. However, Denver won and covered without Carmelo the game before so there was no advantage to be had in the second game imo. This is all experimental like I said I don't have any strict rules to follow. Beasley was one that was discussed a little in your thread earlier. I still bet on Milwaukee though I didn't think Beasley was the type of player to move lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopi-1 View Post
    Does the Nets' win over the Clips without Devin Harris count? I don't even know if a Nets win matters here, it's far and few in between...
    I believe this is a good example. Has he had injury problems off and on all year though? Its hard to figure out anything when it comes to the Nets.

Saltdog
    Saltdog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the warriors were alright without Monta

Rush
    Rush's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agreed

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

harrington's out for NY, 2nd leading scorer for the team. they didn't cover tonight, but will play them against wolves tomorrow.

Pensinger1
    Pensinger1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Two reasons why backing a team the first night a starter is out is a great idea:

1) Books and public ALWAYS over-adjust and inflate the line creating massive value for the team missing a star player.

2) Back-up players are looking to prove themselves as having an important role to the team and ALWAYS give 110% (something that can certainly not be said about several star players in the league).

After the first game however, the value tends to dissipate as the books adjust and the back-up players become fatigued and/or exploited.

Nice idea for a thread SKM.

Flying Dutchman
    Floggings continue until morale improves
    Flying Dutchman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 759

We've got records on this, teams are covering injuries this year.

easyaxess
    easyaxess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 110

That is a good trend to follow, but how successful will it be through out the year? Star players being injured can make or break a team, imo.

S.K.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensinger1 View Post
    Two reasons why backing a team the first night a starter is out is a great idea:

1) Books and public ALWAYS over-adjust and inflate the line creating massive value for the team missing a star player.

2) Back-up players are looking to prove themselves as having an important role to the team and ALWAYS give 110% (something that can certainly not be said about several star players in the league).

After the first game however, the value tends to dissipate as the books adjust and the back-up players become fatigued and/or exploited.

Well said this is my thinking exactly I think the books are obviously aware of this trend but they still inflate the lines because they know the public will buy into it and bet against the injured team.

S.K.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    harrington's out for NY, 2nd leading scorer for the team. they didn't cover tonight, but will play them against wolves tomorrow.
    Is Harrington the type of player to move and/or change lines? Im not sure if he is or not?

S.K.M.

Tyreke Evans Sorry I wasn't around earlier to do my homework. I was wondering why the Kings were such large underdogs against Denver who is on a b2b coming off a big road win yesterday in San Antonio. This one is far from over but I believe this game was a nice fit for this theory.....

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10986

Quote Originally Posted by Pensinger1 View Post

We've seen this trend a lot the last 2 years for sure...

S.K.M.

What is the status on Kobe tonight? Interesting situation here with the Lakers NOT being a public play. The line is big enough to get lots of action on Denver (even without Carmelo) because of Kobe's injury.