t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Adam Silver needs to put an end to this...

I have no problem with occasionally resting a player. The season is a long grind. However this whole "shutting (insert name) down for the remainder of the season" is a disgrace.

The Kings have been playing Cousins and their other top players sparingly these last few weeks. Cousins doesn't even play road games anymore. Huh? Aren't these guys paid to play basketball?

The Nets "shut down" Lopez and Thad Young a week ago. Why?

The integrity of the league has been compromised time and time again. These teams who are simply not playing their best players for no reason are more often than not handing a win to the other team when they play a decent squad. This can have big time effects on the playoff standings.

Silver needs to put an end to this charade. No more shutting down players.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

Im sure Twiz is going to get bashed here, since he is only looking at this from a "fans" angle

I agree they get paid a shit load of money, when you divide that total paid by the 82 games played its

But heres the catch t-wizzle....

if one of those players go down in a meaningless game with a potential 1-2 season or career injury

then what is the coach hired by the owners of whatever team is suppose to say ?

I hate the way it goes myself.... but this is not like playing a video game with injuries turned off

a coach can get into some deep shit

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel_CashFlow View Post
    Im sure Twiz is going to get bashed here, since he is only looking at this from a "fans" angle

I agree they get paid a shit load of money, when you divide that total paid by the 82 games played its

But heres the catch t-wizzle.... if one of those players go down in a meaningless game with a potential 2 season or career injury

then what is the coach hired by the owners of whatever team is suppose to say ?

I hate the way it goes myself.... but this is not like playing a video game with injuries turned off

a coach can get into some deep shit
    I knew this argument would be presented and here is my response.

That is the risk you run in sports. You can just as easily tear up your knee in game 1 as in game 81. It's always going to be a risk. Now the goal is to minimize the chances of injuries? It's an entertainment business that thrives on the competitive nature of the game. Don't invest in a sports team if you're worried about the players getting hurt.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

All we have found out is that the owners make too much money. You don't give employees paid time off unless you can afford it.

thunderous
    Update your status
    thunderous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7111

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post

That is the risk you run in sports. You can just as easily tear up your knee in game 1 as in game 81. It's always going to be a risk. Now the goal is to minimize the chances of injuries? It's an entertainment business that thrives on the competitive nature of the game. Don't invest in a sports team if you're worried about the players getting hurt.
    It might be entertainment for you but for the owners its serious business. Any company will not take risk specially if its not hurting their bottom line. This is not the league of the 70's or 80's where it was all fun and mellow. This is serious business and big money...too bad if you don't like it.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They make too much money to shut down players it's a disgrace

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

The owners make too much money to not shut down players its a disgrace

klemopixx
    Shit just got real.
    klemopixx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2395

The Spurs having been shutting down guys all year to keep them rested for the playoffs, but you can't argue with that strategy. The only one who ever gets screwed here is the season ticket holders who paid for games where the bench players get all the minutes. It all comes down to the big problem in EVERY pro league - THE REGULAR SEASON IS TOO DAMN LONG! Every sport, basketball, hockey, baseball, maybe football gets a pass because of playing once a week, is too long and gets boring. Why will it never get fixed? It's all about the money! Case closed!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: mikewlgm

lakerboy

Regardless of what side you are on the bottomline is that this is a issue. Silver tweaked schedules a bit with longer all star break and less b2b sets but it has not helped. Karma is a bitch and the spurs won't win the title.

Golden state is the team to beat and they have done it the right way.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Build a deeper team so you can rest guys....Or be better so you can afford to rest guys

Teams can do whatever the fukk they want with regards to playing time....everyone is part of the team

Playoffs and draft picks are more important

Killer2121
    Killer2121's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2099

Quote Originally Posted by klemopixx View Post
    The Spurs having been shutting down guys all year to keep them rested for the playoffs, but you can't argue with that strategy. The only one who ever gets screwed here is the season ticket holders who paid for games where the bench players get all the minutes. It all comes down to the big problem in EVERY pro league - THE REGULAR SEASON IS TOO DAMN LONG! Every sport, basketball, hockey, baseball, maybe football gets a pass because of playing once a week, is too long and gets boring. Why will it never get fixed? It's all about the money! Case closed!
    Also happens in soccer. Much longer season but game are played sporadically.

At the end of the day, it's their team and their players. They can and should be able to do whatever the hell they want with them. The league ultimately doesn't exist to please the fans. Winning is the main goal. I bet you guys also complain when guys/teams like Mayweather, Spurs, Broncos, Spain etc play "boring" abd call it a disgrace to the sport.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Pussification of America continues. People always talk about athletes of today being bigger, faster stronger, etc. The greatest of all time played 15 seasons, 11 of which he played 80+ games including 9 which he played all 82. Not to bad considering one of the seasons was almost all lost to a broken leg and another season he came out of retirement for 17 games during another season.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

padres shutting down players already i heard
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave CWD 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

franklissa
    franklissa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

Nba is a joke.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Jordan and all the guys never rested

Lebron a pussy
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: YouHave2outs

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 119

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post

Can you imagine seeing this happen in everyday business? I can see an airline putting some rookie up in the sky and when the plane crashes killing everyone at the press conference the spokesman says "well we would have loved to have our experienced pilot on this flight but we had to shut him down for the season. We can't risk injury to our top pilots but please keep flying with us"

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

This can easily be fixed by Adam Silver. Once a team is mathematically eliminated from playoffs they should not be allowed to play any more games. This will result in revenue loss. Once teams know they will lose money by not trying to win they should not be shutting players down.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: packerd_00

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

They shutdown because what matters is the playoffs.
    You bust your ass the season to get in position to win .
    Nobody gives a shit who comes in second.
    A major part if that is to be able to take the banging and length of the playoffs.
    Ticket holders should know this by now .
    I seen someone said the Spurs.
    They're still like 65-12 , those backups playing , that'll help out huge in the playoffs while the team playing starters run out of gas and go home early.
    This argument is old , every sport does it .
    NFL , MLB , the playoffs is where the money is should you win a title in any sport.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Dudes, the NBA is hugely profitable. Why would they mess with this model. It caters to rich folks, and those businesses are going to keep becoming more and more prosperous.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Fans ultimately have all the power. Be an awesome sight if huge groups of fans got together and started staging walkouts right after tip in some of these games or just not showing up. That kind of solidarity will likely and unfortunately never happen but it would catch attention fast and most likely cut down on the league shenanigans. Myself this time of year I rarely bet most these games and won't touch ones where 2 shit tanking teams are playing. The "business" side of sports is truly getting uglier , making the product worse and just a matter of time before the fit hits the shan at some point.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3495

Quote Originally Posted by thunderous View Post
    It might be entertainment for you but for the owners its serious business. Any company will not take risk specially if its not hurting their bottom line. This is not the league of the 70's or 80's where it was all fun and mellow. This is serious business and big money...too bad if you don't like it.
    But yet they expect fans to pay to come watch,maybe these fans need to take a break and stop forking their hard money over.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3495

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    Fans ultimately have all the power. Be an awesome sight if huge groups of fans got together and started staging walkouts right after tip in some of these games or just not showing up. That kind of solidarity will likely and unfortunately never happen but it would catch attention fast and most likely cut down on the league shenanigans. Myself this time of year I rarely bet most these games and won't touch ones where 2 shit tanking teams are playing. The "business" side of sports is truly getting uglier , making the product worse and just a matter of time before the fit hits the shan at some point.
    But then they want to bitch that the fans aren't supporting the team.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

only idiots go to games nowadays

$40 to park at Warriors games this year is beyond rape, SF giants was $30 but i heard its even more

i dont care what you have in the bank those prices beyond rape

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

There really is nothing you can do....If it doesn't affect their bottom line nothing will change

I actually enjoy seeing younger players and bench guys get a chance but I'm in the minority....Also good for DFS and betting if you are ahead of the injury news

Regular Season will never be intriguing anyway with 8 playoff teams per conference so just deal with it and enjoy the playoffs

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post
    padres shutting down players already i heard

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Joe shmoe fans who actually care about their team winning hardly can afford to pay a bill to stage a walk-out. The real money does not give a crap about winning, it is all about the product. Get with the program.

lakerboy

Big biz controls the events.

WalkingLuckCharm
    WalkingLuckCharm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2947

T wizz I passed this message onto silver he promises that your input is extremely valuable and promises that something will be done

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14709

Even if your blue collar fans stop buying tickets, the corporations will always eat up the waste. Just ask the Toronto Maple Leafs.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

SBR needs to put an end to you

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Too many timeouts, 7 tos are too much each half

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingLuckCharm View Post
    T wizz I passed this message onto silver he promises that your input is extremely valuable and promises that something will be done
    Bad news. I just sat next to Silver in a dive bar, one fireball led to another, when suddenly he stomped his fist on the counter and said "Fuk it. I don't give a fuk whatdafuk Lucky-fuk'n-chimp says, fuk him!"

Don't kill the messenger.