Charles Rothbaum
    Charles Rothbaum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Here's why Barkley, Oscar, et al. diss the Warriors

Forever the NBA gospel was you can't win with jump shots. Well these guys can no longer deny what they are seeing so their fall back position is the league is easier now. Yea, like Steve Kerr says, "Curry couldn't even have made it in the league back in the day. The players were bigger, stronger, quicker back then." If it's so easy, if the Warriors aren't a great historic blend of coaching and talent, why are they the only team at 53-5?? Truth is the older fellas have been wrong about the game, about what's possible, but that's not something their egos will let them concede. That is cheap, weak, and insulting.
    Last edited by Charles Rothbaum; 02-27-16 at 11:55 PM.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

Barkley's era was way more tough. Today's game too many fouls/flops. Curry would get hit in the face daily in the 90s

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Demo View Post
    Barkley's era was way more tough. Today's game too many fouls/flops. Curry would get hit in the face daily in the 90s
    how are you gonna hit him in the face when the guy is taking jumpers from 35 feet out every night? please pgs during barkleys era would get obliterated by curry. some people say john stockton was the best pg of the 90s. i can't even imagine john stockton trying to guard steph curry 1 on 1. would be a shitfest.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    how are you gonna hit him in the face when the guy is taking jumpers from 35 feet out every night? please pgs during barkleys era would get obliterated by curry. some people say john stockton was the best pg of the 90s. i can't even imagine john stockton trying to guard steph curry 1 on 1. would be a shitfest.
    Nah. Keep the tin-hat

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Curry dominates any era

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

Haha
    Nope

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

I agree all though I'm 90's era NBA kid I must agree that curry is a different kind of human and would have no problem in that era....if over aggression your speaking of would stop curry your wrong guys not driving to the hole he's creating just enough space to catch and shoot and he's dominating

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Not sure why people can't just give Curry the respect he deserves

The guy is playing at the highest level anyone has ever played at, including MJ

That's nothing against MJ, but Curry is doing it. Congrats to him

pilebuck13

It will come kraken can't argue that needs more rings though

Slipknot26

Nobody seems to see the Elephant in the room with this Era discussion?
    Who the hell would stop any if those players back then right now ?
    They wouldn't
    Jordan would bull his way around anyone in the NBA
    Barkley would break these kids ribs inside pushing them around .
    I agree he can shoot but this Era doesn't know how to play defense nightly like those days .
    Curry would get his , over time he would wear down quicker than now with this 5 ft away defense nowadays. He doesn't wear down because nobody plays all over him nightly.
    They actually did play defense nightly back then.

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck13 View Post
    It will come kraken can't argue that needs more rings though
    I agree, but I'm not even making an argument or saying Curry is the best ever

I'm just saying that over the last one year, no player in the history of the NBA has played at a higher level

Yet guys still don't wanna give him his, like anyone has ever done what this guy is doing

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by Slipknot26 View Post
    Nobody seems to see the Elephant in the room with this Era discussion?
    Who the hell would stop any if those players back then right now ?
    They wouldn't
    Jordan would bull his way around anyone in the NBA
    Barkley would break these kids ribs inside pushing them around .
    I agree he can shoot but this Era doesn't know how to play defense nightly like those days .
    Curry would get his , over time he would wear down quicker than now with this 5 ft away defense nowadays. He doesn't wear down because nobody plays all over him nightly.
    They actually did play defense nightly back then.
    Yep, but it was an inferior product. The NBA is business first. It's not like all the sudden, generations of kids just couldn't play D, the league changed the way they played D, because it was a better product. Offense sells

Slipknot26

I agree , same as all sports
    People want scoring , football , baseball , basketball
    Just a completely different style of play now in every sport.
    Curry is amazing, don't think I'm trying to take that away . He is the best by far .
    I just love seeing defense as much as offense.
    I'm old school haha

pilebuck13

were getting old lol
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Slipknot26

The Kraken

I'm with you guys

I used to play in a church league, roughest league I've ever played in. Bunch of older guys, and if there wasn't an injury or two during the game, or an argument that almost came to blows after the game, then it was boring.

The thing was, we all loved it. All a bunch of banged up fukks that grew up in an era where tough, dirty defense was the rule.

The same play would get ran constantly

PG would bring the ball down, pass it to a big on the block who would promptly get mugged by 4 defenders, and he would put up something that looked like a shot with three guys hanging on him and another grabbing both his arms, and fouls never got called

Slipknot26

That's it Kraken
    Old school Ballin
    No blood , no foul

iceman02
    iceman02's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2965

Players today are twice as fast, strong, and athletic then back in the day. People need to understand that.

imadegen
    imadegen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9093

if anything it's the other way around. players today are more athletic and faster. like any other sport the game evolves and so do the players.

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Former players are for the most part old and bitter. Nothing to see here. We've seen really pathetic things being said in the last couple years. George Gervin dissing Klay's 37-point quarter last year. Kareem dissing Dirk. Now this nonsense about Curry.

Charles Rothbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    Former players are for the most part old and bitter. Nothing to see here. We've seen really pathetic things being said in the last couple years. George Gervin dissing Klay's 37-point quarter last year. Kareem dissing Dirk. Now this nonsense about Curry.
    This says it all.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13122

Quote Originally Posted by imadegen View Post
    if anything it's the other way around. players today are more athletic and faster. like any other sport the game evolves and so do the players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    LOL. If anything, I would love to see Sir Charles play one on one against LeBron, when both were in their prime. On hot top, no ref's.

Charles Rothbaum

“They obviously want to get in the media and have their name heard again,” Bogut said after Saturday’s shootaround. “I just hope I’m not a bitter old man in my 50s and 60s. Every generation says the next generation is softer and slower and not as smart and not as physical. I hope I’m not one of those guys that does that. It’s unfortunate. I respect all eras. Every era brought something different, as will the new era in 10 or 15 years when I’m on my couch with a beer open and watching. I respect everybody, because I know what it takes to get to this league — whatever era you played in.”