jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

How Was Elfrid Payton A Lottery Pick?

Just something Ive wondered since the first time I saw him play, just nothing jumped off the page for me, am I missing something?

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16154

I like him. He runs the offense well, plays good defense most of the time. Doesn't shoot well but many young point guards struggle with that.

dmitean
    dmitean's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3106

I remember Rondo in his first couple of seasons... also... nothing to write home about... Him, Perk and Tony Allen - were huge offensive liabilities (especially Allen and Rondo).
    Not saying Payton is Rondo, but I like players that have solid defensive fundamentals as rookies. Offense can be developed and he will improve on offense - defense is usually more problematic. Can't think of many guards who improved their defense over they years, going from bad to mediocre defenders. Redick and Terry the only two who come to mind off the top...

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Good size and length for a point guard, even at NBA level. 6'8 wingspan means he can be a good on the ball defender.

Had one of the best assist rates during the 2014 NCAA season. Good steal rate.

Has all the physical characteristics of a good point guard and you can't teach size and speed. My guess is that NBA scouts saw that he had shown flashes of elite level ball distribution in college and likely thought / think he will be able to develop his passing ability further in the NBA.

He needs to develop some mid range / outside game as he is really only good at driving right now and even then his FG% is a little low under 10 feet.

NBA these days seems to draft based upon size, length and athletic ability and hope the skills can develop and fall into place. He is only 21 and could very well have a decent NBA career in front of him. He has been forced to start at a very young age because of Orlando's lack of any other serviceable point guard other than Shabazz who doesn't have the size and length that Payton has.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Yea I agree with all of those things said, good defensively, he's a pass first pg, decent size, not a perimeter shooter at least yet, good strength, can play in NBA, just that lottery was a bit much to me, in college though he was a strong player and not as hesitant, I just see hesitance when he's playing and we're in year two. Thought they would have been gone by now. Still kinda seems he's unsure or isnt moving at 100% or something, hopefully he'll continue to grow, players certainly do, I remember seeing Klay Thompson early on he looked lost out there, not anymore of course.

greypimps
    greypimps's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1736

Well he looked line a piece of garbage tonight.. no sense of urgency.. no shooting skills.. no ball handling.. a piece of sbiet player..

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Yea I agree with all of those things said, good defensively, he's a pass first pg, decent size, not a perimeter shooter at least yet, good strength, can play in NBA, just that lottery was a bit much to me, in college though he was a strong player and not as hesitant, I just see hesitance when he's playing and we're in year two. Thought they would have been gone by now. Still kinda seems he's unsure or isnt moving at 100% or something, hopefully he'll continue to grow, players certainly do, I remember seeing Klay Thompson early on he looked lost out there, not anymore of course.
    Yeah I guess I sort of took my argument in a different direction than the one you had intended to steer the discussion in.

I think we have to always remember that beyond the top 4-5 guys in most drafts, the guys selected are often not the most talented player but the one that best fits the teams system and fills the current or future holes in their roster.

The Magic drafted Payton, waived Jameer Nelson 4 days later. I guess this means they were hoping to build a new back court core by moving Oladipo to SG permanently and drafting Payton, another big, strong, quick back court guy. I think they were trying to build their team from back to front. They had, at the time, Glen Davis at his best and Vucevic who was the teams best player WS/48 wise for the 2013-2014 season. I guess the idea was that all the team was lacking was a strong back court duo which they had hoped to find in Payton / Oladipo.

Next two guys off the 2014 board that were legitimate PGs were Tyler Ennis and then Shabazz Napier and I would want Payton over both of those guys.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20358

NBA loves the big PG's.