Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Warriors can't be compared to top 5 NBA teams all time!

I don't care if they go for 73 wins. You can't compare them to even the best 80s teams. Let me clarify... It's not that they couldn't compete with them, it's just that you can't compare them. We will never know because the NBA plays pickup basketball every night.

The NBA is divided into two leagues now. A) the teams going to the playoffs and B) the teams told before the season even starts "You are not going to the playoffs so accept losing every night". It's like if first division soccer was suddenly mixed with second division soccer and instead of relegation, losing is rewarded with better players and ticket sales the following year. Can the NBA reward teams more for making the playoffs instead of the Finals? There has to be a better way.

So you say, well the Warriors are still a top team? If the 80s Lakers and Celts didnt give teams so many more teams a shot at them and chances to figure them out, how many more games would they have won? Its like the playoffs, when teams get 5 shots at you, they tend to figure out the matchup.

And the Sixers and Timberwolves... Was there a shitty a team back in the 80s or even 90s Bulls??

no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

Currently they are the best ever and it is their honor to lose or for the Pistons to take.

Streak speaks for itself. Point spread is unreal.

Deep_Rest
    Deep_Rest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10319

Back then, it would have been unfathomable to see Magic call up Bird or Jordan call up Olajuwon and say hey man, if we work together just think about how many rings we could get. The 80s and early 90s mentality was "to be the best, you have to beat the best" The mentality now is to form superteams to maximize your chances of winning...which is smart, but compromises the integrity of the game as evidenced by the increasing polarity between good teams and bad teams.

Actually, the beauty of 80's and 90's basketball is that the showtime lakers, bird-era celtics or the bad boy pistons were all more or less "organically" grown teams...meaning they were assembled via draft picks, not free agency. There's too much jumping around in the NBA today...I skipped an nba season because I was living abroad...when I came back, half the players on my favorite team were gone...what is this, MLB baseball?

So yeah, they come from different eras and it is pretty hard to compare them because of how the game has evolved...or devolved depending on your opinion.

OldschoolGambler
    OldschoolGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!

I give them credit for not playing down to the chump teams. They take care of business--few NBA teams do that anymore.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

nope this is not happening
    im the first one to defend old school but make no mistake, this is possibly the greatest overall squad ever
    Forget how unreal Steph Curry is , or how Klay can drop 30 on ya ,
    its DRAYMOND GREEN whos is the Scottie Pippen (even better)
    of this team that makes the triangle come together. The dude is dropping triple doubles almost every fuckin night
    20 points 9 boards 11 assists one night , 25 points 11 boards 10 assists next night
    then what you could call a "off game" the following game by putting up 25 points 9 boards and 7 assists

This team (just like with the great Bulls 72-10 team) will have to stay healthy
    but if curry or Green do not sustain long injuries then its a wrap
    they beat the all time wins record , and I dont really root for the Warriors
    facts are facts tho

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It is a tough call

They have the best start to a year probably in any sport as far as wins in a row

I think harder now..this record will never be broken

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 344

I will say they should be put in the conversation. You have 30 teams in the NBA now. That makes it that much harder to put a quality team together top to bottom than it was with less teams in the 80's. It also impresses me that this roster did not take place in Los Angeles, New York, or Boston. There was very little, if any, recruiting to get this roster together. Hell, if I remember right, Curry didn't even want to come here when they drafted him.

It took a great coach in Kerr to come here and mesh all the talent together. After winning a championship, they kept that hunger, even after losing their head coach. This shows self-motivation like many of the 80's Celtics, Lakers, and 76er teams showed. I think their athleticism beats the 80's Celtics. I think they have one hell of a series with the Laker squads, and beat all of the 76er squads except the 1982-83 team.

ki dice
    ki dice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8626

Bill I totally agree with you look at my other posts,the league is very watered down.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Rest View Post
    Back then, it would have been unfathomable to see Magic call up Bird or Jordan call up Olajuwon and say hey man, if we work together just think about how many rings we could get. The 80s and early 90s mentality was "to be the best, you have to beat the best" The mentality now is to form superteams to maximize your chances of winning...which is smart, but compromises the integrity of the game as evidenced by the increasing polarity between good teams and bad teams.

Actually, the beauty of 80's and 90's basketball is that the showtime lakers, bird-era celtics or the bad boy pistons were all more or less "organically" grown teams...meaning they were assembled via draft picks, not free agency. There's too much jumping around in the NBA today...I skipped an nba season because I was living abroad...when I came back, half the players on my favorite team were gone...what is this, MLB baseball?

So yeah, they come from different eras and it is pretty hard to compare them because of how the game has evolved...or devolved depending on your opinion.
    No shit. To this day I still dont know if Jordan even liked Pippen. All those years together and Ive never seen a photo of them off the court together. They came to work, said lets do dis and went home. Even when MJ came back to basketball, he didnt call up Kobe or Lebron or any of the kids he helped come up and ask for a ride, he did his thing and failed like a man...on the Wizards!

Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolGambler View Post
    I give them credit for not playing down to the chump teams. They take care of business--few NBA teams do that anymore.
    True, they are pros but so was my over-30 YMCA team. You can't compare em.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel_CashFlow View Post
    nope this is not happening
    im the first one to defend old school but make no mistake, this is possibly the greatest overall squad ever
    Forget how unreal Steph Curry is , or how Klay can drop 30 on ya ,
    its DRAYMOND GREEN whos is the Scottie Pippen (even better)
    of this team that makes the triangle come together. The dude is dropping triple doubles almost every fuckin night
    20 points 9 boards 11 assists one night , 25 points 11 boards 10 assists next night
    then what you could call a "off game" the following game by putting up 25 points 9 boards and 7 assists

This team (just like with the great Bulls 72-10 team) will have to stay healthy
    but if curry or Green do not sustain long injuries then its a wrap
    they beat the all time wins record , and I dont really root for the Warriors
    facts are facts tho
    That Bulls team beat Ewing's Knicks, Olajuwans Rockets, Shaq's Magic, D-Rob's Spurs, Payton/Kemp Sonics, Stockton/Malone Jazz...and many had HOF coaches. Can you argue the Warriors have been tested by teams on this level? There are no Shaq's or good half court teams like these to counter styles. Its a 3 point shooting contest out there now IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    I will say they should be put in the conversation. You have 30 teams in the NBA now. That makes it that much harder to put a quality team together top to bottom than it was with less teams in the 80's. It also impresses me that this roster did not take place in Los Angeles, New York, or Boston. There was very little, if any, recruiting to get this roster together. Hell, if I remember right, Curry didn't even want to come here when they drafted him.

It took a great coach in Kerr to come here and mesh all the talent together. After winning a championship, they kept that hunger, even after losing their head coach. This shows self-motivation like many of the 80's Celtics, Lakers, and 76er teams showed. I think their athleticism beats the 80's Celtics. I think they have one hell of a series with the Laker squads, and beat all of the 76er squads except the 1982-83 team.
    80s Celtics pick them apart. That front line for the Celts vs 6'4 Draymond and Harrison Barnes? come on man!

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Warriors are a non-story until they win more titles. These discussions shouldn't be taking place until at least June.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    Warriors are a non-story until they win more titles. These discussions shouldn't be taking place until at least June.
    Absolutely right. You can't be the "greatest" at anything unless you win the championship at the end of that season. As for Green being in Pippen's league? Let's go Chris Carter on that......come on man!

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11934

time will tell

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Their body of work is really thin, so comparing them to some of the all-time greats is premature. Plus we all know that it's fruitless to compare teams from different era's, just water cooler talk. You say the 80's Celtics shred them, I say the Warriors beat the 80's C's like Adrian Petersons son, we just have different opinions.

But that doesn't mean we're not witnessing a team early in it's existence that is going to break a lot of records and go on to be this eras dynasty team.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Jayvegas420

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

The league is unwatchable including ncaa games.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

And then there is the argument that there is no Kobe without MJ. Is there a Steph without AI? Or even a Steph without a Dell Curry?

meader99

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    And then there is the argument that there is no Kobe without MJ. Is there a Steph without AI? Or even a Steph without a Dell Curry?
    There is definitely no Steph without Dell.
    Points Awarded:

Bill Dozer gave meader99 21 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Draft your starting five from the 86 celtics, 87 lakers and this years dubs.....

1) jabbar
    2) magic
    3) bird
    4) mchale
    5) curry. Probably now, definitely when he is finished.

Who on this dubs team makes a better 6th man than a healthy bill walton?

Goat. Don`t care if they go 80-2. They will have to win 4-5 titles for me to put them #1.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13317

I agree the league is watered down, there is playoff teams and not contending teams which makes for a useless regular season. With that being said you need a good imagination to see how they rank against top teams of all time. If you still think they dont fair they still have plenty of upside considering how young the overall team is Klay is only like 24 easily top 4 SG in the league...

rpesi9955
    rpesi9955's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1441

The Warriors are great. It makes no sense to compare them to great teams from the 80s or even the 90s it's a different game.The numbers don't lie but even that they're only numbers. The numbers don't lie but even that they're only numbers.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It is very hard to compare different generations and probably unrealistic right now we can make a case it could be one of the great single season teams or two season teams we still don't know yet

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90300

First off, great to see your Thread, best wishes during the holidays and New Year.

I love the article and find it funny when people do try to compare. There is no way to compare. I would love to see you post more threads my friend always love to hear what your thinking.

Cheers!

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

you have to play within the rules of your era, if those 90's teams played now in today's rules they wouldn't win. They would probably foul out before the half. If you are old enough to remember how much more physical the game was then you know it is completely different now. No purpose in debating apples and oranges

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

They r going to be dynasty n curry is best scorer ever

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

No offense bird wouldn't be half player in today's game..he c was too slow..LeBron would guard him he wouldn't even get clean shots..athletes today faster stronger

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19428

op lost me with soccer analogy.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19428

however, gotta give them a chance. too early to say.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Celtics would shut them down

Anyways

CJ
    CJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5812

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    They have the best start to a year probably in any sport as far as wins in a row
    Patriots... course they didn't win, and maybe the Warriors won't either, or maybe they'll go 98-0.

meader99

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    you have to play within the rules of your era, if those 90's teams played now in today's rules they wouldn't win. They would probably foul out before the half. If you are old enough to remember how much more physical the game was then you know it is completely different now. No purpose in debating apples and oranges
    Those 90's teams would also score at will. How many do you think MJ would score if you couldn't put a forearm on him or hand check him?

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Quote Originally Posted by nyplayer33 View Post
    No offense bird wouldn't be half player in today's game..he c was too slow..LeBron would guard him he wouldn't even get clean shots..athletes today faster stronger
    You have offended me. Too slow. OK.
    NBA isn`t a track meet.

How is Dirk and this new guy from the Knicks doing in this new NBA? Both speed merchants I guess.
    Sure,LeBron giving a huge effort could cause Bird problems. He would then concentrate on the other facets of the game.

The top guys (10-15) from any era would compete with any other era. The father back you go, the tougher these guys were.
    Wasn`t even charter planes until mid to late 80s. I think the Pistons were the first with a relic prop plane.

McHale and Hakeem could average 30/20 against the bigs of today. Howard would foul out in like 10 minutes.Please.

Could go on all day with this stuff, but at the end of the day none of us has anything but an opinion.

charcoalbbq
    charcoalbbq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Warriors just need to sign a Rice and it will be a perfect team. Green Curry with Rice! Can promote the team well to asians and indians.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Quote Originally Posted by charcoalbbq View Post
    Warriors just need to sign a Rice and it will be a perfect team. Green Curry with Rice! Can promote the team well to asians and indians.
    If you don't like Green Curry with Rice you are probably a jerkoff who can't take the heat.

charcoalbbq
    charcoalbbq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    If you don't like Green Curry with Rice you are probably a jerkoff who can't take the heat.
    Green Curry is for sissies who can't take the heat. If you can take the heat, you would be munching some Red Curry.

Are you from Toronto?

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Green curry is hotter than Red Curry, Charcoal. At least it is in Thai food. I eat a lot of thai food.

Yeah I am from Toronto. Living at King and Bathurst area currently.

You?

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19557

The level of play today is way higher than in the 80's and the level of media scrutiny is off the charts; if they win 73+ and the title, they're the best ever.

12 Last