seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Close out games, Perception

Why is the theory that it is hard to close a team out? I think I could beat a half dead man easier than one that is healthy. You have a team on the ropes physically and mentally, why wouldn't they be easier to beat than harder. I just don't understand the cliche. If anyone has a different view let me know.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14461

I think the idea is that the team facing elimination digs down deep into an energy reserve that hadn't yet been tapped while the team on the brink of winning the series plays overconfidently and lacking intensity, subconsciously thinking they can afford a loss.

Conspiracy-wise, the refs help the behind team win to help them catch up. Makes for more drama; better entertainment. Also, the leading team often wants to lose to take the series back to their court for more gate revenue.

gridironguy
    gridironguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with Checkerboard's theory. Playing scared and knowing that losing means the season is over has a funny way of getting most players to kick into that next gear..

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Let's see if the closeout game is tough for Cleveland tonight. The Spurs did what most good teams do during closeout games, they routed the Jazz.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14461

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Let's see if the closeout game is tough for Cleveland tonight. The Spurs did what most good teams do during closeout games, they routed the Jazz.
    heh heh, yeah, there's an old saying ". . . never kick a man when he's down; he may get up."
    - doesn't apply to close out out games and tonight the Cavs need to know that.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Closeout game was a blowout by the Cavs. It is time to put the cliche to rest. The closeout game may now be the easiest game to win. That will be the new cliche. The closeout game is the easiest game to win.

dodif
    dodif's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Closeout game was a blowout by the Cavs. It is time to put the cliche to rest. The closeout game may now be the easiest game to win. That will be the new cliche. The closeout game is the easiest game to win.
    all i know is i bet these closeout games all playoffs and it didnt work out. So i gotta agree with this.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard View Post
    heh heh, yeah, there's an old saying ". . . never kick a man when he's down; he may get up."
    - doesn't apply to close out out games and tonight the Cavs need to know that.
    Do you want to rethink or retract this statement?