JoJo5473
    JoJo5473's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3046

Cavs shoud use Mozgov more when Warriors go small with Green at center

In game 2 the Cavs were leading by 11 points at 3:13 in the fourth quarter after Lebron's 3, from then on the Warriors went on a 15-4 run to tie the game at the end of regulation, they used their small lineup of Curry, Thompson, Iguodala, Barnes and Green who played at the center, and made the Cavs pay by repeatedly sending Tristan Thompson to the free throw line.

Actually the Warriors went small with this lineup for the last 3:51 in the 2nd quarter and the Cavs responed very well, they repeatedly gave the ball to Mozgov who has 5 inches on Green, exploiting the size advantage. Green simply had no answer for Mozgov, who scored 7 points with 2 field goals and going 3-6 from the free throw line in just under 4 minutes.

I don't know what was going on in Blatt's mind when he used Mozgov for only 10 minutes in the 2nd half and overtime combined, he played Tristan Thompson at center for the majority of the time. The advantage of going small like that is that it gives you more versatality on defence as Thompson is able to switch onto small players. However he is not much of a threat on the other end other than making a few wide open layins. Mozgov on the other hand has a much polished offensive game and combined with his size advantage over Green, he can always make the Warriors pay when they go small.

pinchegringo
    Update your status
    pinchegringo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4605

He thought it more important to have outside speed to guard the GSW wings rather than an easy 2 every possession. I think he was wrong but there is a reason we are here and he is there.

Also, when GSW went small Moz missed a couple easy dunks and lay ins so he should of even had a better day. That could have been part of why Blatt didn't stick with him.

JoJo5473
    JoJo5473's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3046

In my opinion you can play Mozgov, LBJ, Shumpert, Smith and Delly when the Warriors go small with Green at the center, because you can put LBJ, Shumpert and Smith on Barnes, Klay and Iguodala, Delly on Curry, and Mozgov on Green.

If Green roams outside the 3 point line and fires from there let him do it, Mozgov needs to stay inside, Green shoots only 25% for threes this post season, all but few of his attempts were wide open shots so it's not like he has been in a great rythm shooting wise, if he makes it he makes it, it's not going to happen a lot. And Green doesn't have much of a mid range game either so Mozgov can stay inside and protect the basket and rebound. I dont' think it will be a disaster on the defensive end.
    Last edited by JoJo5473; 06-08-15 at 08:29 PM.