TheProphet
    TheProphet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Robert Horry and The Hall of Fame

The numbers are definately not there he hasn't put up anything like the stellar numbers most people expect when they think Hall of Famer. He is by no means a lock to get in, but I think he should at least get some talk about it at some point sooner or later. He has won 6 championships and you can say it was due to the great players he had around him and it was, but without him at least half of those championships never would of been won. Do you think the Spurs could of lost Game 5 against the Pistons and then beat Detroit at home in Game 6 and won Game 7 without his game winning 3 pointer or 24 points in the 4th quarter and overtime? What about the 3 pointer to win against the Spurs when he was with the Lakers if he misses Lakers are down 1-3 instead they go back to San Antonio tied up at 2-2. In Houston they where down 1-3 and Horry of course came up with HUGE SHOTS down the stretch. He has ice water in his veins and has hit shots that without the teams probably never would have won a championship. I am not saying he is a lock or should be in, but at least after he retires and has waited the 10 years I believe that is the waiting time he should at least be on the ballat for possible candidates. Of course his shot today wasn't a huge shot they would still have a tied series and Spurs still have home court, but it basically put the nail in the coffin on Denver having a shot at winning the series. He has hit other big shots in playoff games that where similar scenarios like in Game 2 against the Blazers with the Lakers he hit the game winning 3 then in Game 3 put them away with a 3 pointer again. It just amazes me how he can always hit those shots in those situations almost every time. Maybe he shouldn't be in the hall of fame, but any guy that has played like that in those situations deserves to get at least a nod from the Hall of Fame saying we know how important you where to those championship teams you get our nod of getting a chance at being selected by your peers.

knicknut
    knicknut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    The numbers are definately not there he hasn't put up anything like the stellar numbers most people expect when they think Hall of Famer. He is by no means a lock to get in, but I think he should at least get some talk about it at some point sooner or later. He has won 6 championships and you can say it was due to the great players he had around him and it was, but without him at least half of those championships never would of been won. Do you think the Spurs could of lost Game 5 against the Pistons and then beat Detroit at home in Game 6 and won Game 7 without his game winning 3 pointer or 24 points in the 4th quarter and overtime? What about the 3 pointer to win against the Spurs when he was with the Lakers if he misses Lakers are down 1-3 instead they go back to San Antonio tied up at 2-2. In Houston they where down 1-3 and Horry of course came up with HUGE SHOTS down the stretch. He has ice water in his veins and has hit shots that without the teams probably never would have won a championship. I am not saying he is a lock or should be in, but at least after he retires and has waited the 10 years I believe that is the waiting time he should at least be on the ballat for possible candidates. Of course his shot today wasn't a huge shot they would still have a tied series and Spurs still have home court, but it basically put the nail in the coffin on Denver having a shot at winning the series. He has hit other big shots in playoff games that where similar scenarios like in Game 2 against the Blazers with the Lakers he hit the game winning 3 then in Game 3 put them away with a 3 pointer again. It just amazes me how he can always hit those shots in those situations almost every time. Maybe he shouldn't be in the hall of fame, but any guy that has played like that in those situations deserves to get at least a nod from the Hall of Fame saying we know how important you where to those championship teams you get our nod of getting a chance at being selected by your peers.
    You get in the hall of fame with a career of success, not for being in the right place at the right time, like Derek Jeter (oh, wait...)

I have a lot of respect for Horry and he's been a valuable role player on 6 championship teams, but there's no chance he's ever even considered for Springfield.

dodif
    dodif's Avatar Become A Pro!

to me his is an obvious hall of famer

like one of his teammates said. "you cant teach the stuff he does, its in his dna

gridironguy
    gridironguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post

I have a lot of respect for Horry and he's been a valuable role player on 6 championship teams, but there's no chance he's ever even considered for Springfield.
    Exactly.

Bill Cartwright on the Bulls, Kurt Rambis on the Lakers, Danny Ainge on the Celtics, where do you draw the line with role players who piggy-backed their way to championships by playing on teams with superstars.

Horry has played with Hakeem, Drexler, Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan.
    4 automatic Hall of Famers. He has been in the right place at the right time.

Horry has been awesome at hitting clutch shots, but one of the reasons they leave him open is because they have to double-team the STARS that he plays with on every team he's been on. H

He has ZERO CHANCE of making the basketball HOF.

TheProphet

I am not pulling for him to make it I don't think he has a shot at making it I think he should get on the ballot. Being on the ballot is giving him honor enough for the numbers he has put up. He hasn't been left open on a lot of those 3 pointers though if you go back and watch the tape, but needless to say even if he was on the ballot I don't think he would ever get voted in.

gridironguy

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    I am not pulling for him to make it I don't think he has a shot at making it I think he should get on the ballot. Being on the ballot is giving him honor enough for the numbers he has put up. He hasn't been left open on a lot of those 3 pointers though if you go back and watch the tape, but needless to say even if he was on the ballot I don't think he would ever get voted in.

When he was on the Rockets title teams, opponents had to worry about Hakeem, Drexler, Otis Thorpe, Kenny Smith, Sam Cassell, and they did not worry so much about Horry. He killed teams because the scouting report said to worry about the other guys first.

He has capitalized on these opponents game plans for years...

I give him credit for that.

TheProphet

Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post
    You get in the hall of fame with a career of success, not for being in the right place at the right time, like Derek Jeter (oh, wait...)

You are saying Derek Jeter hasn't had a career of success are you INSANE? I don't know ANYONE who wouldn't want a hitter who has hit .317 for their career with an On Base percentage of .389 already 2182 hits at only 32 years old. He still has plenty of good years left to play in the majors now if you are refering to his clutch hits this guy is not known as a power hitter at all he has a slugging percentage for his career of .463 and has never hit over 30 home runs in a season. All of the sudden in the post season when his team needs the home runs he has hit them with a slugging percentage of over .500? That guy can play in the post season when pitchers are at there best yes he has been at the right place at the right time so was Kirk Gibson, but don't you still love him for that AWESOME moment he gave us. Jeter is a straight up baller and lock for the hall of fame with great play in the regular season and playoffs. Maybe A-Rod should take some notes on how to not fade when postseason time comes.

gridironguy

I agree with you about Jeter, Prophet. I 100% agree.

I don't think Knicknut really believes that Jeter is just "in the right place at the right time".

Jeter would be great on ANY team, not just the yankees. His hitting and fielding skills would translate on any team. Baseball is more individualistic in that way. Not totally individualistic, but more so than basketball and football.

Horry needed great teammates around him, in both the front and backcourts, to get the open looks that he has gotten over the years. To his credit, he has hit those shots. But on anything less than a great team, Horry is a non-factor because he gets better defenders on him if he's on a bad team. On a great team, he gets the other team's worst defender, and gets left open when the chips are down.

Opposing teams would rather have him take the last shot instead of tony, manu, finley, etc.

But Horry keeps on hitting them.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Horry will be in the Hall of Fame. Not because he was a great player, but because of what he's known for in the playoffs. He's a legend in that regard, and the Hall of Fame is about legends.

gridironguy

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Horry will be in the Hall of Fame. Not because he was a great player, but because of what he's known for in the playoffs. He's a legend in that regard, and the Hall of Fame is about legends.

He is a clutch player who can be counted on late, but for all the reasons I mentioned above, he should NOT make the Hall of Fame.

One makes it to the HOF because of consistent greatness, not hitting open 3's because the REAL Hall of Famers on your team demand double-teams.

Horry hit some big shots for the Houston Rockets in '94-'95, but so did Kenny Smith and Sam Cassell. What Horry did for them is long forgotten.

He hit a handful of big shots while on the Lakers, namely against Sacramento to salvage that series when the Lakers were on the ropes.

And now he's hit a few big shots for the Spurs over the course of 4 seasons. Below are his career stats -- he has a career scoring avg of 7.2 pts.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/robert_horry/index.html

If the NBA Hall of Fame is anywhere near as exclusive as the baseball and football Halls of Fame, then NO WAY does Horry get in.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Plenty of players with nice overall stats but no rings. This is one amazing NBA career, with its own unique flavor:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Horry

It takes different ingredients to put together a championship team. Just because you can see the rice, but not the spice, that doesn't mean they're not equally important.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 05-01-07 at 11:18 AM.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

The two don't belong in the same sentence, in my opinion. The guy has my utmost respect, but that's a reach for me.