Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

How good are the Toronto Raptors?

Have they become good enough that we start considering them part of the elite group of teams that should bascially be road faves in every game where they don't play each other?

They are laying 3.5 in Atlanta tomorrow against a Hawks team that's probably good for a 7 or 8 seed most years. It doesn't look like much but I feel they're getting a lot of respect here. Is this hot start sustainable? Are they really going to win like 55 games or something?

carll
    carll's Avatar Become A Pro!

3 or 4 game losing streak coming bud!

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Quote Originally Posted by carll View Post
    Well yeah they arent going to win every game. Are you saying this starts today?

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

They're good but their record is going to be skewed because they play in the East. They could make the Eastern Conference Finals.

Barnes & Whine
    Punch through the media!
    Barnes & Whine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Too early to tell but usually streaks like this go on for awhile into the season before they cool off. I would ride the raptors right now.

mtofell
    mtofell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4680

I like them a lot as a team and think they are the best in the east until CHI and CLE can work out some of their problems. They've also been lights out on covering overs. I'm on the o204 on tonight's game TOR v ATL large. ATL plays no defense. I bet TOR puts up 120+

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9047

Dont see why they cant get to 55 wins this year.

Im more curious to see if they can possibly go undefeated against the worst division in basketball.

ManeOnFire
    ManeOnFire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Quote Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
    I like them a lot as a team and think they are the best in the east until CHI and CLE can work out some of their problems. They've also been lights out on covering overs. I'm on the o204 on tonight's game TOR v ATL large. ATL plays no defense. I bet TOR puts up 120+
    I agree and it's unfortunate that the East sucks ass so bad.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20358

I expected them to start fast this year, because they basically brought back the same team from last year. I think at the end of the year, it will obviously be the Cavs as favorites to come out the east, but I'd put the Raps up there with the Wiz and Bulls. Lowry is probably one of my favorite players.

Speaking of Raps, I like Hawks a lot today.

killersweet
    killersweet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9409

Quote Originally Posted by carll View Post
    Based on what? They have been a team that is hard to put away. They don't quit. They will lose their share of games, but 3-4 game losing streak? Not until possibly they go on a long west coast trip. Having said that, i like the hawks tonight.
    As for the raptors being an elite team, still too early to tell. Their front court still needs work. If they can trade for someone like Horford, they can become a true contender.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Between December 22nd and Jan 4th, Raptors play @ Bulls, Clippers, Nuggets, Blazers, Warriors and Suns.

We will see how good they really are.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Between December 22nd and Jan 4th, Raptors play @ Bulls, Clippers, Nuggets, Blazers, Warriors and Suns.

We will see how good they really are.

They could go 2-4 and it wouldn't change my opinion of them.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    They're good but their record is going to be skewed because they play in the East. They could make the Eastern Conference Finals.
    Do you have the Bulls and Cavs as 1-2 there in seeds?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Raptors/Wizards/Heat (provided Wade is healthy) being 1 or even both of the teams in the ECF.

Obviously the record will be skewed yeah. Just curious if people are starting to consider them in the same group of teams as, say, the Pacers of the last 2 years.

Menses
    Menses's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5815

Raptors are coached by a guy who will not tolerate taking nights off...I see why that 2011 mavs team beat Miami....aside from Lebron throwing the series....Casey is lights out on discipline and effort...West Coast West Conference teams coming in here...just don't realize what is coming right at them...either play both ends of the floor for 48 minutes or dun bother showing up...the bench is a problem for most teams late in the 3rd...and early 4th.....Raptors can compete in the west or the east...depending on the number of home games....they are a well above 500 team regardless of conference...

Ratzz
    Ratzz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Menses View Post
    Raptors are coached by a guy who will not tolerate taking nights off...I see why that 2011 mavs team beat Miami....aside from Lebron throwing the series....Casey is lights out on discipline and effort...West Coast West Conference teams coming in here...just don't realize what is coming right at them...either play both ends of the floor for 48 minutes or dun bother showing up...the bench is a problem for most teams late in the 3rd...and early 4th.....Raptors can compete in the west or the east...depending on the number of home games....they are a well above 500 team regardless of conference...
    they look pretty good.. not quite as good as the Montreal Canadiens... but still up there.
    I think the Raptors will be a very god team all season..

should make the Conference Final

play4win
    play4win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5173

pretenders. they can't even win against sucky lakers.
    maybe they should start a team in mexico. canada isn't working that much

CDUBB_CW
    CDUBB_CW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8112

DeRozan did not play which was a huge loss. He's gone for another few weeks so we can expect them to fall off a bit. No excuse losing to the Lakers without him.

Seto

This thread was made before the DeRozan injury so the question I was asking doesn't really make much sense anymore. Obviously they aren't winning 55 if he's out for a long time.

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    Do you have the Bulls and Cavs as 1-2 there in seeds?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Raptors/Wizards/Heat (provided Wade is healthy) being 1 or even both of the teams in the ECF.

Obviously the record will be skewed yeah. Just curious if people are starting to consider them in the same group of teams as, say, the Pacers of the last 2 years.
    back the train up homie/

heat are garbage and will not come remotely close to the ECF. wade and his 80 year old knees and bosh is not reliable at all.

the raptors have a good record so far but they are pretenders. my bulls smashed those bums in their house easy and were not even at full strength. anyway you want to slice it, the bulls and yes the cavs are the 2 teams that are light years ahead of everyone in the EAST.

TheMartian
    TheMartian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3241

I'd take the Wizards and Atlanta ahead of them. Jeff Teague is the best PG in the East, and Schroeder is the best backup pg.

1)Bulls
    2)Cavs
    3)Wizards
    4)Hawks
    5)Raptors
    Last edited by TheMartian; 12-01-14 at 12:48 AM.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue77 View Post
    back the train up homie/

heat are garbage and will not come remotely close to the ECF. wade and his 80 year old knees and bosh is not reliable at all.

the raptors have a good record so far but they are pretenders. my bulls smashed those bums in their house easy and were not even at full strength. anyway you want to slice it, the bulls and yes the cavs are the 2 teams that are light years ahead of everyone in the EAST.
    I guess we'll see.

Bulls probably get the top seed and the Cavs should be a 2 or a 3 but who says they don't get upset in the second round or even the first? What if Toronto falls to like #6 because of the DeRozan injury (but he's back to 100 percent in the playoffs) and Cleveland gets #3? I would give the Raptors an excellent chance to beat Cleveland.

Anyone of the Bulls, Wizards, Heat, Raptors, maybe Nets if they get it going like last year could beat Cleveland for me, mayyyybe the Hawks (really doubt it). Emphasis on "could" though. At the end of the day the Cavs still have a chance to come out of the East and I've never said otherwise. The only thing I've "guaranteed" is that they won't win it all. No way.

Once again this year the 8 seed in the West will be better than every single team in the East. What a fukking joke.

Seto

Here's another thought: Paul George says his goal is to play this season. Only 6 or 7 teams are really a sure thing to make the playoffs in the East, the last spot will probably be down to the Knicks, Bucks, Hornets, and Pacers. What if the Pacers somehow get in and George is like 80% healthy. Would you discount them from beating Chicago in the first round especially considering how both teams match up?

Obviously that's a HUGE if for him to come back that early (even though he thinks he can) and be productive right away, but who knows.

TheMartian
    TheMartian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3241

Here's another thought: Paul George says his goal is to play this season. Only 6 or 7 teams are really a sure thing to make the playoffs in the East, the last spot will probably be down to the Knicks, Bucks, Hornets, and Pacers. What if the Pacers somehow get in and George is like 80% healthy. Would you discount them from beating Chicago in the first round especially considering how both teams match up?

Obviously that's a HUGE if for him to come back that early (even though he thinks he can) and be productive right away, but who knows.
    if Paul George cones back healthy all bets are off. The injury has been a blessing for the Pacers in that they were forced to play their young players like Solomon Hill and they're playing well. The same goes for OKC in the West

Nobody wants to see the Pacers or OKC in May at 100%

CDUBB_CW
    CDUBB_CW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8112

Quote Originally Posted by TheMartian View Post
    I'd take the Wizards and Atlanta ahead of them. Jeff Teague is the best PG in the East, and Schroeder is the best backup pg.

1)Bulls
    2)Cavs
    3)Wizards
    4)Hawks
    5)Raptors
    Raptors beat the Hawks twice already.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by TheMartian View Post
    if Paul George cones back healthy all bets are off. The injury has been a blessing for the Pacers in that they were forced to play their young players like Solomon Hill and they're playing well. The same goes for OKC in the West

Nobody wants to see the Pacers or OKC in May at 100%
    You can't compare both though. Durant will have been out for 2 months, George for 6 or 7 (and he'll only come back like right before the playoffs is he does). I expect Durant to perform right away, PG might have to ease his way back in for a few games. But if he is close to his best I'd give the Pacers a good chance to beat Chicago because they match up well with them.

OKC is gonna get on a roll I think. They very well might win 55 games anyway despite the bad start. I still have them winning the Northwest and have a couple tickets on that for decent money I bet this week.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by CDUBB_CW View Post
    Raptors beat the Hawks twice already.
    Both with DeRozan though.

They might get a top 4 seed anyway but I wouldn't be surprised to see them fall to 5 or 6.

Nobody seems to agree with me that Miami is a good team this year except for Goat Milk. We'll see come playoff time I guess.

killersweet

People reacting after couple of losses. Let the team adjust. They lost a star player and they have depth. It will take them few games to adjust. They will be fine. People always over-react as soon as the team loses couple of games. They weren't going to win 55 games even with DD.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by killersweet View Post
    People reacting after couple of losses. Let the team adjust. They lost a star player and they have depth. It will take them few games to adjust. They will be fine. People always over-react as soon as the team loses couple of games. They weren't going to win 55 games even with DD.
    Who is overreacting here? I don't see anyone doubting they'll be "fine". They were probably a 2 or 3 seed with him and now they'll be a 4 or 5, at worst 6. I think that's the correct reaction to a team losing an all-star player for an extended period of time no?

I don't even care that they lost their last 2. They could have won both and I'd be posting the exact same thing.

killersweet

Who is overreacting here? I don't see anyone doubting they'll be "fine". They were probably a 2 or 3 seed with him and now they'll be a 4 or 5, at worst 6. I think that's the correct reaction to a team losing an all-star player for an extended period of time no?

I don't even care that they lost their last 2. They could have won both and I'd be posting the exact same thing.
    People calling them pretenders and downgrading them quite a bit. I think Lowry injury would be a significant one than DD. I think the team can adjust without DD and play at a high level. Let's see how they do in the next 5-7 game stretch.

hotelis
    hotelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 957

they are like the pacers a year ago