bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pistons only -2 in game three?

Ok guys give me some reasons as to why I shouldn't take Detroit in game 3?

gridironguy
    gridironguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ok Dan, I'll play devils advocate for fun. I don't necessarily believe it, but here are three reasons to be wary:

1) Detroit lost 1 game to Milwaukee in last year's 1st round. Perhaps this is the one they lose to Orlando?

2) Orlando was 25-16 at home this season.

3) Pistons had trouble pulling away from Magic in Detroit. Will be much tougher to pull away down in Orlando.

As I said, I don't believe these are good reasons not to play Detroit, but they are worth noting.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Dan,

First of all, why are you so surprised by line? Pistons were only -8 at home, so this 6-point shift means 3-point home court adjustment, so line seems fair.

Secondly, if the Magic are to win a game in this series, this is their best chance. The Pistons will be relaxed with 2-0 lead while Orlando will be playing with desperation, and they will now have support of home crowd.

babaoriley
    babaoriley's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dan, take the -2 and run with it (I did). Orlando can't hang with Detroit regardless, and Detroit will realize how important this game is to a potential sweep and the rest that comes with it.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think we'll see any sweeps in the first round this year, possible exception of Cleveland. But I think Washington, LAL, and Orlando all win one game.

babaoriley

I think Phoenix would have to literally give a game to the Lakers for them to not sweep. Same with Orlando.

The Lakers feasted on bad teams in the latter part of the season and only won 1 game against a team with a record over .500 in the last few months. That tells me all I need to know. Phoenix isn't a team prone to a letdown, though one could argue that game 1 WAS there letdown (even though they held on to win). I agree that Washington could take a game (probably tonight or game 3, regardless of King James' health).

gridironguy

If the Lakers are to win a game, it has to be Game 3. If they lose that, bring out the brooms.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by gridironguy View Post
    If the Lakers are to win a game, it has to be Game 3. If they lose that, bring out the brooms.
    That's the one in which I will be betting them.

babaoriley

Kobe better go for 50-15-10 and/or the league needs to "intervene" with some good old-fashioned referee incompetency. Look, I'd like to see the Lakers win 1 or 2, just for the sheer pleasure of watching Kobe play. Despite my dislike for him as a person, the guy makes every game more interesting. He just doesn't have a supporting cast around him that can match up with the Suns (or any other Western Conference playoff team, for that matter). I like Odom as a player, but Walton and Kwame have seriously regressed this season (some of it due to various injuries). Farmar is a better fit at PG than Smush, but any team that makes a desperation role change because of a player's general apathy for the playoffs is in trouble. I wish you Laker backers luck because I want to see Kobe stick around for another 50 point effort or two, but they'll need some breaks.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by babaoriley View Post
    Kobe better go for 50-15-10 and/or the league needs to "intervene" with some good old-fashioned referee incompetency. Look, I'd like to see the Lakers win 1 or 2, just for the sheer pleasure of watching Kobe play. Despite my dislike for him as a person, the guy makes every game more interesting. He just doesn't have a supporting cast around him that can match up with the Suns (or any other Western Conference playoff team, for that matter). I like Odom as a player, but Walton and Kwame have seriously regressed this season (some of it due to various injuries). Farmar is a better fit at PG than Smush, but any team that makes a desperation role change because of a player's general apathy for the playoffs is in trouble. I wish you Laker backers luck because I want to see Kobe stick around for another 50 point effort or two, but they'll need some breaks.
    While a lot of that is true and a concern to me taking the Lakers in Game 3 - and we need to start a separate thread on it at some point - I don't think he's going to take 6 shots in the last 3 quarters in Game 3. For me, this is the type game that he thrives on, and I still think Phil Jackson has something up his sleeves for the home fans.

gridironguy

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    While a lot of that is true and a concern to me taking the Lakers in Game 3 - and we need to start a separate thread on it at some point - I don't think he's going to take 6 shots in the last 3 quarters in Game 3. For me, this is the type game that he thrives on, and I still think Phil Jackson has something up his sleeves for the home fans.
    Phil has nothing up his sleeves. His magic trick was in getting this below-avg team to the playoffs. I am a life-long Laker fan but we suck, plain and simple. Phil said that he'd like to see Kobe take fewer shots, so Kobe did. Kobe did the same thing yrs ago vs. Sacramento when Phil said the same thing.
    This whole act is getting dumb between Kobe and Phil.

Anyhow, if Phil would've had something up his sleeve, he would've revealed it in game 2 soas not to go home down 0-2.

If the Lakers lose tomorrow, the series will more than likely end in Game 4. If they win Game 3 and lose Game 4, 95% chances are it ends in Game 5 in Phoenix.

The fact this team even made the playoffs is a minor miracle by Phil. I don't thing there is any magic left in the old hat...

LargeMouthBass
    LargeMouthBass's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    I don't think we'll see any sweeps in the first round this year, possible exception of Cleveland. But I think Washington, LAL, and Orlando all win one game.

Yeah I think there is a trend for the Pistons where they have never swept a team during the playoffs or something. They will lose either tomorrow or the next game.

TheProphet
    TheProphet's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't agree with Phil being out of tricks up his sleeves you don't win 9 championships without picking up TONS of tricks. His trick for Game 2 was put all the faith in the supporting cast and let them beat Phoenix and not rely on Kobe. At least that leaves Bryant more rested for Game 3 with a motivation level to score and score a lot. Kobe can on any given night almost single handidly take out a team and with the way Phoenix plays defense there is no reason if he gets a little hot which is bound to happen since he is pissed off the Lakers don't win at least Game 3. All it takes is one win to turn around a playoff series just look at Miami last year dead in the water going into the 4th quarter Game 3 then D-Wade became a Superstar and the rest of the series was all Heat. I never write a team off until they are down 0-3. Especially not with a player as talented as Kobe and a coach as great as Phil if the role players just have decent games and Bryant has a good game then there is no reason why the Lakers can't turn the series around the role players just have to step up and each player has shown moments of skill in the past they just need to show them in playoffs. I wouldn't bet against Lakers Game 3 though Bryant will probably make that his 50-60 point performance.

babaoriley

Prophet, I agree that Kobe is a gamebreaker, but Phoenix will run, run, run. Kobe honestly has to go for 40-50 and his supporting cast has to shoot no less than 55% from the field. And that's just on the offensive end. Look, Kobe's 1st half of game 1 was just astounding. I called my dad three times during Kobe's mini-barrage of 3's, including the absolutely ridiculous half-time fadeaway 3 over 2 people from 27 feet. As I said at the time, Kobe does things that MJ simply couldn't do. But the supporting cast has to at least play at the level of Phoenix's second team. I actually liked the way Vujacich played last playoffs. I like Walton, but feel he regressed a little this season. I don't think Kwame will ever approach his ceiling as a player. Bynum is an absolute specimen (biggest calves in the league, I'll argue--I saw them from court-side and they were HUUUUGE) and should grow into an excellent big man. Farmar has shown flashes of potential, though he's really not being guarded too tight on the perimeter. Smush is trash. Odom is a great all-around player and one of my favorite under-appreciated players, but Phoenix is just too versatile. If Kobe goes for 45+ with 7+ assists, Odom goes for 20+ and plays some D, Farmar/Smush go for 12 combined, and Bynum/Cook/Brown/Vujacic shoot 50%, then L.A. has a chance. Conversely, if Phoenix gets in early foul trouble (particularly Marion and Amare), then L.A. has a chance. They need some officiating help and Kobe needs to feel like he's not playing with Odom and some NBDL'ers.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by babaoriley View Post
    Prophet, I agree that Kobe is a gamebreaker, but Phoenix will run, run, run. Kobe honestly has to go for 40-50 and his supporting cast has to shoot no less than 55% from the field. And that's just on the offensive end. Look, Kobe's 1st half of game 1 was just astounding. I called my dad three times during Kobe's mini-barrage of 3's, including the absolutely ridiculous half-time fadeaway 3 over 2 people from 27 feet. As I said at the time, Kobe does things that MJ simply couldn't do. But the supporting cast has to at least play at the level of Phoenix's second team. I actually liked the way Vujacich played last playoffs. I like Walton, but feel he regressed a little this season. I don't think Kwame will ever approach his ceiling as a player. Bynum is an absolute specimen (biggest calves in the league, I'll argue--I saw them from court-side and they were HUUUUGE) and should grow into an excellent big man. Farmar has shown flashes of potential, though he's really not being guarded too tight on the perimeter. Smush is trash. Odom is a great all-around player and one of my favorite under-appreciated players, but Phoenix is just too versatile. If Kobe goes for 45+ with 7+ assists, Odom goes for 20+ and plays some D, Farmar/Smush go for 12 combined, and Bynum/Cook/Brown/Vujacic shoot 50%, then L.A. has a chance. Conversely, if Phoenix gets in early foul trouble (particularly Marion and Amare), then L.A. has a chance. They need some officiating help and Kobe needs to feel like he's not playing with Odom and some NBDL'ers.
    Stop being so logical. I'm convinced the Lakers are the play, and you and your fancy logic are determined to get me to lay off.

TheProphet

Well Kobe has been playing with Odom and some D League players right now the other players haven't stepped up. He tried to trust them in Game 2 that won't fly in Game 3 he will go for 50 I have no doubt and I wasn't saying I think LA is going to come back and win the series, but they still could with a player like Kobe it is never out of the question that he takes a team on his back to win a series. They need the role players to play well and they have proved in the past they can the injuries this year hurt them. A little confidence and a win in Game 3 though I do feel will breathe some life into this team Kobe will work his ass of to make that happen. I am recording the game just cause I expect to see something AMAZING from Bryant like in Game 6 last year he hit shot after shot when they needed him to. I recorded that game as well and never get tired of watching him falling out of bounds SMOTHERED draining a 3 with 2 minutes left I still can't believe they lost that game off a fluke reboudn then 3.

babaoriley

Razz-sorry about that, I'll switch to illogical. Kobe will hang 110 on Phoenix by himself.

Prophet-I know what you mean. That shot last year (just as his shot in game 1 1st half of this series) were/are astounding, and Kobe is the 1 guy that can dominate when he needs to. If he were a Center and could affect more on the defensive end, I'd be more prone to believe that one player can win a game. Until then, I feel he needs some help. They need one of those night where Brian Cook goes 4-5 from his 23 foot baseline jumper (his spot), Brown to give them an 8P, 12 board game or so, Walton to make the passes, hit the open shots, and Odom to give them a solid 20+. Then, assuming Kobe can shoot 55-60% on 30 attempts and 10FT's or so, scoring 40-50. I mean, that's a lot to bank on. I'm not playing this game either way simply because I already had a very small wager on the series price with Pho 4-0 at 9-5 (my head) and I really do want to root for Kobe (my heart).

TheProphet

Haha I understand that and in your case though it would probably benefit you to lay a small wager on the Lakers just due to that bet to basically guarantee yourself some money. I find it unlikely if they don't win Game 3 that they win Game 4, but I could be wrong. I really think Game 3 will be an awesome game though the whole way through. Good luck with your bet on the series though.

chigoldcoast27
    chigoldcoast27's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    Haha I understand that and in your case though it would probably benefit you to lay a small wager on the Lakers just due to that bet to basically guarantee yourself some money. I find it unlikely if they don't win Game 3 that they win Game 4, but I could be wrong. I really think Game 3 will be an awesome game though the whole way through. Good luck with your bet on the series though.
    LA can't hang with phoenix.

TheProphet

Yea I know they can't hang thats why the led for 3 straight quarters and where within 3 with 3 minutes to go in 3 of the regular season games this year and the first playoff game. LA can hang with Phoenix if things go there way of course some luck has to be on there side or role players have to step up and play bigger games, but in no way will I say a team that has managed to do that can't hang with them they have proved they can keep it close just not seal it. Like I said I really only expect LA to win one or two games in the series, but I would love to see them come back and win it cause I HATE Phoenix and don't really like Nash much.

buztah
    buztah's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have watched the Lakers and the Suns quite often. I don't see the Lakers beating these guys even if Kobe scores 60. The Lakers might lose by only 2 or 3 but they will not beat this Suns team. The Suns will win it all. I'm not a Suns fan. I actually hate them as they cost me a ton of money but I got to call em as I sees em, ya know. The Lakers are not a playoff caliber team. They really stink. As for Phil, he has no trick up his sleeve for this series. He was pretty frustarted and helpless as he watched the Suns pound the fakers the other night.

The Lakers have no solution for Barbosa, Stoudimire, or Nash. Clean sweep coming.