TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

some notes so far about nba summer league

mason plumlee can really ball. he could be a starter soon for nba team.

the fckn pacers need a new summer league roster

marcus smart needs to get better or become labelled ben mclemore 2.0

shabazz napier too 15 shots and made 3. he also had 8 turnovers. is this guy a shoot and miss first pg?

why is oladipo playing in summer league. guy is too good. just a waste of his time.

nerlons noel looks the goods. he got good hops, pretty strong for being wiry, and has good footwork and can finish.

detroit trying out retread brian cook. guy can still hit threes. but that's about it, still, after all these years.

Lin, see you later. Rockets got your replacement in Johnson. Nick Johnson looked terrific…athletic, making shots all over the court, and had a monster left handed dunk over a big.
    Last edited by TwoWays; 07-05-14 at 05:27 PM. Reason: fckn twins. can't tell them apart

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Where is this league and how long does it go?

Smart was the most overrated player in the draft he's not even a second-round choice in my opinion

OptimistPrime
    OptimistPrime's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its played in las Vegas I believe. Lasts a couple weeks

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWays View Post
    miles plumlee can really ball. he could be a starter soon for nba team.

the fckn pacers need a new summer league roster

marcus smart needs to get better or become labelled ben mclemore 2.0

shabazz napier too 15 shots and made 3. he also had 8 turnovers. is this guy a shoot and miss first pg?

why is oladipo playing in summer league. guy is too good. just a waste of his time.

nerlons noel looks the goods. he got good hops, pretty strong for being wiry, and has good footwork and can finish.

detroit trying out retread brian cook. guy can still hit threes. but that's about it, still, after all these years.

Lin, see you later. Rockets got your replacement in Johnson. Nick Johnson looked terrific…athletic, making shots all over the court, and had a monster left handed dunk over a big.
    Really glad you started this thread, wanted to talk about it for a bit now.

Nick Johnson looked absolutely phenomenal. Morey did it again with stealing a first round talent in the second round. I don't think a GM has a better track record of 2nd round success stories than him.

Check out the poster from this game:

That right there is the definition of a poster. Absolutely posed in air and slammed it down on the big 7 footer.

On top of that, he was able to lock up Siva (who I am a huge fan of and I hope the Bulls or someone give this kid a look - definition of a gamer). Fukkin steal.

ChalkyDog

Alright, now that I am done dropping a huge homer load all over this thread, I will be better going forward.

Other guys that really impressed were Noel for me. He's making the all-defensive team this year, assuming health.

Payton looks like he might need some time to develop.

I mentioned Siva, but I want to mention him again, this guy better get some run this year. He's ready.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13209

Thanks for the notes. Miles plumlee was somewhat a starter last year but he had an injury and I think the Suns wanted to save him for the future so he never got big minutes but the guy can ball. Looking forward to more summer league!

TwoWays

sorry git lo, i meant mason plumlee. guy will be starting soon for the nets.

physed
    physed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 391

Quote Originally Posted by OptimistPrime View Post
    Its played in las Vegas I believe. Lasts a couple weeks
    Today it was in Orlando, Fla

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWays View Post
    sorry git lo, i meant mason plumlee. guy will be starting soon for the nets.
    Both Plumlee's mentioned by you will be Starters in this league.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by physed View Post
    Today it was in Orlando, Fla
    Vegas and Orlando.

Depends on the teams and where they go.

Think Cactus and Grapefruit league in baseball.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20256

Agreed, Miles Plumlee is going to be a really good player. He was already really good last year for PHX. His brother is good too. Both move very well for their size, and they are very athletic.

LOL at Brian Cook.

Surprised Shabazz had such a bad game, but it was his first professional game.

Nick Johnson was a good 2nd round pick, but his problem is that he has no true position. He's too small too play SG, but doesn't have the skills to play PG. If he can get a consistent outside shot, he will have an NBA career.

And I still don't get what Orlando saw in Payton.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    Agreed, Miles Plumlee is going to be a really good player. He was already really good last year for PHX. His brother is good too. Both move very well for their size, and they are very athletic.

LOL at Brian Cook.

Surprised Shabazz had such a bad game, but it was his first professional game.

Nick Johnson was a good 2nd round pick, but his problem is that he has no true position. He's too small too play SG, but doesn't have the skills to play PG. If he can get a consistent outside shot, he will have an NBA career.

And I still don't get what Orlando saw in Payton.
    You summed it up very well. He has the athleticism to be a poor mans Westbrook, insofar as both came in as an undersized 2 that needed to play the 1 to have longevity in this league. Luckily, the Westbrook type game is gaining popularity in this league and now teams really love the uber-athletic players who can lock it down on defense and score the ball.

Especially with the amount of Point forwards or whatnot.

Also, Nick in Houston doesn't have to be a PG. They have distributors already. They need on ball defense. They needed another Patrick Beverly for cheap, and they have that in spades with potential for huge upside.

bob6199
    bob6199's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2477

summer league. you know who does good in summer league scrubs like Bazemore, who cares what they do here lets see when they actually play against the ppl who are good. IDC if a guy goes for 50 in the summer league call me when he does it in a real nba game.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20256

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    You summed it up very well. He has the athleticism to be a poor mans Westbrook, insofar as both came in as an undersized 2 that needed to play the 1 to have longevity in this league. Luckily, the Westbrook type game is gaining popularity in this league and now teams really love the uber-athletic players who can lock it down on defense and score the ball.

Especially with the amount of Point forwards or whatnot.

Also, Nick in Houston doesn't have to be a PG. They have distributors already. They need on ball defense. They needed another Patrick Beverly for cheap, and they have that in spades with potential for huge upside.
    I was always under the impression that when he first came to Arizona, that Sean Miller would groom him into a true PG. Maybe I was wrong about that, but either way he never really learned how to become a PG. You're totally right about him being the Westbrook type of guard. Shouldn't matter too much anyways, NBA positions are disappearing. SG's and SF's are all wings now. PG's and SG's are all combo guards. Center's are almost extinct with the exception of a few guys. I'd expect Nick Johnson's athleticism to keep him around the NBA fora while.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    I was always under the impression that when he first came to Arizona, that Sean Miller would groom him into a true PG. Maybe I was wrong about that, but either way he never really learned how to become a PG. You're totally right about him being the Westbrook type of guard. Shouldn't matter too much anyways, NBA positions are disappearing. SG's and SF's are all wings now. PG's and SG's are all combo guards. Center's are almost extinct with the exception of a few guys. I'd expect Nick Johnson's athleticism to keep him around the NBA fora while.
    I know Sean pitched him on being the PG when he was recruited. He played it in spot minutes all 3 years. But yeah, never really took on that role, and when he did run point the offense suffered greatly.

I can't wait to see how the Rockets use him. Rockets are going to be a fun team next year.

I really hope they can hold onto Parsons.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by bob6199 View Post
    summer league. you know who does good in summer league scrubs like Bazemore, who cares what they do here lets see when they actually play against the ppl who are good. IDC if a guy goes for 50 in the summer league call me when he does it in a real nba game.
    You know who does good in Summer League? Andre Drummond.

If you are an avid follower of this sport, gambling or entertainment, Summer league is one of the best ways to experience up close tomorrow's best talent.

Also, for NBA fantasy guys, it's a must watch.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Only caught half of the Celtics/Heat game so far. I think Smart looks like he's gonna be a solid pro, just has the physique to make it in the league.

Doesn't seem like Payton did too well and not a huge fan of that pick but just the first game. Can't complain since they took Gordon but almost wish they snagged Smart and maybe Warren, Young or Payne later.

Happy to have some ball on at least, can't do baseball yet and nothing else now besides the end of the WC.

Also, Jerami Grant looking like he made a huge mistake. He may end up being one of the poster boys for staying in school. His game isn't ready for the speed of the NBA and it's not gonna get better anytime soon on the bench.

Libanese
    Libanese's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cool notes and information.

When I lived in Vegas, summer league got decent press.

I can't take too much out of summer league ball though.

I've seen enough summer league Michael Jordan's end up like NBA Sam Bowie's

James Marques
    James Marques's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3692

I've got today's lines... anyone see yesterday's?

OptimistPrime
    OptimistPrime's Avatar Become A Pro!

Miami just whipping by the nets today. 19-38. Feel sorry for the guys that actually bet this stuff. Believe the nets were big favs some how. No idea how they come up with lines for summer league action.

TwoWays

Lol, there such a thing as underdog in summer league hoops???

Napier redeeming himself well.
    James Ennis can shot the rock.
    mason plumlee looks like the only nba player in that nets team

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

i guess its safe to say Lebron thinks he's too good to play in this...

TwoWays

I thought Xavier Thames of San Diego st. Was going to be good. Damn that guy is awful.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Aaron Craft out there ballin?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Guys it means nothing

Can't compare this to the regular season

I mean it's a little bit of an evaluator but that's it

ChalkyDog

Any opinion on Tony Mitchell? I am a big fan of this kid and have been following him for some time.

He has been hot and cold at this thing. Great athlete. I really think he needs to play at the 3 though. He's a wing player. Not a stretch 4, but a legit oversized SF. I feel there is a disservice if you ask this kid to go against PF's on defense.

Interesting to see how he does going forward.

TwoWays

Mon 7/7 501 Indiana Pacers +5 -110 +175 o165½ -110
    3:00PM 502 Boston Celtics -5 -110 -210 u165½ -110
    Mon 7/7 503 Houston Rockets +4 -110 +155 o168½ -110
    5:00PM 504 Orlando Magic -4 -110 -175 u168½ -110
    Mon 7/7 505 Oklahoma City Thunder -3 -110 -150 o165½ -110
    7:00PM 506 Brooklyn Nets +3 -110 +130 u165½ -110
    Here are some lines for you afternoon degens courtesy of tony. remember it is summer ball so rosters are fluid and results are wtf!! just happened.

TwoWays

i will be watching to see if marcus smart really is the reincarnation of ben mclemore.

sploofdogg
    sploofdogg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1217

Grizzlies look good in summer league

BCC585
    BCC585's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1206

Anyone know if James Young is going to play today?

TwoWays

James young not playing. Everyone on the court this game sucks, except willie reed. But nothing he did was wow.

Marcus us smart was ehh.
    if u can lose an nba spot in summer league Kelly olynyk is doing a good job at it

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15015

it's the only thing on in the sports books right now, does anybody know what the next game is after celtics pacers?

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

Doesn't matter, they don't provide lines in the sports books.
    who's Tony? And does he accept SBR bet points? lol

TwoWays

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    it's the only thing on in the sports books right now, does anybody know what the next game is after celtics pacers?
    lol, wake up. the lines are right above. it is from 5d

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

I meant the books in Vegas.

12 Last