NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

NBA Commisioner Adam Silver to Push the Minimum Age for a Player to Play in NBA to 20

Commissioner Adam Silver wants to raise the new minimum age limit for an athlete to play in the NBA to 20 years old. He says he will push hard for this.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...t-top-priority

I think this is a good idea and will help both college NCAA basketball out and the NBA tremendously. No more watered down "one and done", unpolished and undisciplined freshman players going to the NBA with a limited sense of team play and lack of fundamental skill sets. They will get the proper training, discipline and guidance as they should as youths. Plus we as fans get to enjoy a better and more consistent NCAA product. Teams will be more intriguing to follow now with faces linked to them for more than just a year.

NBA gets better players too and we can see them flourish more quickly once their fundamentals have been established.

Good job Adam Silver!

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20334

Already a good commish. Will be a huge boost to college ball.

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agreed. This should have been implemented 5 years ago.

NYSportsGuy210

They also threw around some ideas on how to prevent teams from "tanking" their regular seasons. Also might reduce the NCAA shot clock from 35 seconds down to 30 seconds so that NCAA players will get more used to the 24 second NBA shot clock.

farmhouse1
    farmhouse1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oh please reduce the shot clock in college ball please!!!!

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Lotta guys go to ptep school can do one year in college and be 20 should just say 2 or 3 years in college better if 3 but then many would flock to Europe and I bet a few do now to get paid quicker.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Gotta do something positive after screwing up the slam dunk contest.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20334

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Lotta guys go to ptep school can do one year in college and be 20 should just say 2 or 3 years in college better if 3 but then many would flock to Europe and I bet a few do now to get paid quicker.
    Yes, rather than an age limit, they should just do 2 years removed from high school.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

im ok with this, im also ok with hs players going straight to nba, one and done is sort of a tweener stance, nba better off taking a hard line.

NYSportsGuy210

Some owners even threw around the possibility that the NBA might have a tournament to determine who gets the #1 overall draft pick amongst the crappy teams every year.

NardVa
    NardVa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10509

So the NCAA gets to make millions of dollars in profits off these young kids for another year while the NBA gets to a house their future talent in a free farm system for another year. I guess everybody wins except the college kids who are not making a dime.