RMStanley
    RMStanley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Grizzlies tonight in Denver

Scary pick in some respects because the way you beat Memphis is in transition - push them and try to score cheap buckets by zooming past the plodding Gasol and Randolph. That's how the young Nuggets prefer to play. Add to this a road segababa for Memphis, altitude, them never winning at Pepsi Center, and a long road trip - Denver seems like the sharp pick here.

I have MEMPHIS as the 4th best team in the West (controversial I know, but I believe they beat GS and LAC in a 7 game series), and they are healthy and deep to boot. Randolph and Gasol each played 36 minutes last night so not as brutal as you might think at first glance, and should be able to give 35 each tonight. Koufas is arguably the best 3rd big man on any roster in the league, and Calathes is sometimes better running the point than Mike Conley.

DENVER is battling numerous injuries and there is no line as we wait to see who all is healthy enough to suit up.

I am considering a large ML play on Memphis if it's close to -200.

vasilli07
    vasilli07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10601

I like this as well. The only worry is fatigue.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18704

I like this aswell

RMStanley

Memphis is laying 3.5. I was expecting closer to 5 given the playoff implications.

Here's injury status:
    Nuggets - Wilson Chandler (out, groin) J.J. Hickson (out, ACL) Nate Robinson (out, ACL)
    Grizzlies - Quincy Pondexter (out, foot)

Probable Starters and perspective on the game from Grizzly Bear Blues blog:

Keys to the game

Take Advantage of the D In the Nuggets last 3 games - all losses - the Nuggets have given up 119.3 points per game. That's partially due to their fast-paced play, but it's also due to them struggling mightily on defense. The Grizzlies need to show up and execute on offense to take advantage of that weakness.
    Lawson vs. Conley Once again, Lawson and Conley will lock horns in a battle of 2 quick near-All-star guards that can score or distribute as the game dictates. Lawson has struggled through his past 10 games, averaging 13.6 points on 36.8% shooting, while Conley has been statistically rounding back into shape with 17.5 PPG on 49.2% shooting. If Conley can win this matchup by a substantial margin, it would be big for the Grizzlies. Lawson has lit up Memphis in the past, though...
    Make your free throws In 6 of their last 7 games, the Grizzlies have shot less than 65% from the free throw line, including 3 under 57%. The one exception? 15/16 against theJazz in Utah, which was a big reason why the Grizzlies were able to come back and win that game. The Grizzlies will need to make free throws tonight when the opportunity presents itself.
    The math game

With the Grizzlies' record standing at 43-30, they still are very much in play for a playoff spot. We projected a while back that the Grizzlies would need to win 47-48 games to make the playoffs. With 9 games remaining, they would just need to go 5-4 to get to 48 wins or 6-3 to get to 49 wins. Even with the Grizzlies' 2 losses, they are 6-4 in their last 10 games, so either is within their grasp. A 6-3 finish, especially if that includes wins against the Suns and/or Mavericks in the last 2 games of the season, likely gets the Grizzlies into the playoff and maybe even a 7 seed.
    Not going according to plan

When Randy Foye is starting at shooting guard for you, you know things have not gone according to plan. Between injuries, roster changes, and a coaching change, Denver has struggled for much of the year. They're currently on pace to finish with 36 wins, which would make them 21 wins worse than last year's 57-25 3-seed in the west. As much heat as Joerger and the front office have taken at times, it's easy to look across at Denver and see what happens when the wheels really come off.
    Joe's neat-o fact-o-the-day

The Nuggets are 3rd-worst in the NBA in points allowed per game for the month of March with 106.3. The Grizzlies are 3rd best with 94. Despite that, their point differential is nearly identical because Denver has also scored 108.8 points per game in the month, which is 6th best. The Nuggets can score.
    The Bottom Line

This is a game the Grizzlies need to keep this skid from going any further. The Nuggets are somewhat banged up, have lost 3 straight, and are playing bad defense. Lawson has been struggling. The Grizzlies have a lot on the line and should be playing with a chip on their shoulder. The Grizzlies are 11 games ahead of the Nuggets in the standings. All of those things point to a win. But. But the Pepsi Center is a good home court, it's the second game in a road back-to-back, and it's at altitude. It has all the makings of a trap game.
    Now is the time for this team to show that much-publicized determination and go in and execute - momentum and fatigue and altitude be damned. Now is the time for the Grind. Let's hope we see it.

RMStanley

Here's the injury recap of JJ Hickson's ACL. Memphis should be able to pound Denver down low tonight assuming that Gasol doesn't take off due to his balky knee and Randolph is in the mood to grind. I'd say that Koufas is better than any big the Nuggets have as well...

Denver Nuggets big man J.J. Hickson will miss the remainder of the 2013-14 season after undergoing surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee,Christopher Dempsey of the Denver Post reports. An MRI on Saturday afternoon revealed the injury.
    Hickson becomes the fourth Nuggets player to undergo a season-ending procedure this season after Danilo Gallinari, Nate Robinson and JaVale McGee. He's also the third player on the team to suffer a torn ACL, joining Gallinari and Robinson.
    The Nuggets got 69 games from Hickson this season, and the 25-year-old averaged 11.8 points and 9.2 rebounds per contest.
    With the injury, playing time should open up in Denver for a number of players, includingTimofey Mozgov, Jan Vesely and Darrell Arthur. Even before Hickson's injury, Mozgov had been starting for the Nuggets recently, but this essentially cements his status as the team's top center.

farmhouse1
    farmhouse1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dude what the penetrate are you on? There is absouluty no way the grizzles would ever beat the clippers in a 7 game series. They used to be competitive but now I think the clippers would kill them in 5 games. Memphis is not the 4th best team no fuxking way. Maybe the warriors but again if the warriors are healthy I think warriors win in 7. But clippers would kill them now that time has passed.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMStanley View Post
    Scary pick in some respects because the way you beat Memphis is in transition - push them and try to score cheap buckets by zooming past the plodding Gasol and Randolph. That's how the young Nuggets prefer to play. Add to this a road segababa for Memphis, altitude, them never winning at Pepsi Center, and a long road trip - Denver seems like the sharp pick here.

I have MEMPHIS as the 4th best team in the West (controversial I know, but I believe they beat GS and LAC in a 7 game series), and they are healthy and deep to boot. Randolph and Gasol each played 36 minutes last night so not as brutal as you might think at first glance, and should be able to give 35 each tonight. Koufas is arguably the best 3rd big man on any roster in the league, and Calathes is sometimes better running the point than Mike Conley.

DENVER is battling numerous injuries and there is no line as we wait to see who all is healthy enough to suit up.

I am considering a large ML play on Memphis if it's close to -200.

IllyPhilly[DOC]
    IllyPhilly[DOC]'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7288

Defense wins Championships. With that Memphis could def beat Clips in 7 game series. Clips play little to no D, and Memphis is great at it. Mem D gives up an average of 91 ppg, while Clips D surrenders 102 ppg (thats the main reason clips won't win the title). Yea Clips have all the super stars, but anything is possibly in the NBA.

RMStanley

I don't think the clippers could take a playoff game in Memphis. I think Memphis would be one for four in Los Angeles and would take the series. I actually do agree with you that the clippers are way more talented than Memphis (as is GS) but in basketball it's all about the matchups. Memphis is almost a perfect match up for the clippers.

Chris Paul acts all chippy and chirpy but he's yet to win a playoff series as an underdog or series where his team is evenly matched and his team even has a series lead. Maybe now that Blake is a legit superstar with a complete offensive game CP3 would be able to get over the hump and lead the Clippers to an "upset" over OKC or San Antonio.

I'm not saying he's Peyton Manning, but his impact in a brutal playoff series where everybody is trying 100% every game isn't quite the same impact he has during the course of an 82-game season where he can use his smarts and pick his spots to exploit advantageous situations.
    Last edited by RMStanley; 03-31-14 at 02:10 PM.

farmhouse1

That's bullshit saying clipper play no defense. Look at their defensive statistics their not bad. Memphis plays great defense but cant complement it with their terrible offense that's why I think they have no shot. Okay clippers give up 102 you say? Well they're averaging almost 110 a game so that theoretically is not bad. Doc rivers has really turned that team around this year. Memphis can't keep up with teams man their offense is just terrible. Clippers are 1st in defending the 3 ball at 33%, 6th in shooting percentage at 44%, 5th in effective fg % at 48%, 6th in the league at steals per game averaging about 9 per game.
    Quote Originally Posted by IllyPhilly[DOC] View Post
    Defense wins Championships. With that Memphis could def beat Clips in 7 game series. Clips play little to no D, and Memphis is great at it. Mem D gives up an average of 91 ppg, while Clips D surrenders 102 ppg (thats the main reason clips won't win the title). Yea Clips have all the super stars, but anything is possibly in the NBA.

farmhouse1

That's something you didn't see under del negro is defense. Doc has them playing defense this year. I watched a clippers game couple days ago and their rotations were spot on really giving fits to the opposing team and you see them all communicating together as a defensive unit now.

IllyPhilly[DOC]
    IllyPhilly[DOC]'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7288

Quote Originally Posted by farmhouse1 View Post
    That's something you didn't see under del negro is defense. Doc has them playing defense this year. I watched a clippers game couple days ago and their rotations were spot on really giving fits to the opposing team and you see them all communicating together as a defensive unit now.
    They still give up a lot of points when they play.

farmhouse1

Quote Originally Posted by IllyPhilly[DOC] View Post
    They still give up a lot of points when they play.
    I don't see how that matters if they're still averaging more then they give up?

Tillos
    Tillos's Avatar Become A Pro!

Over.