Why?

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

why not ?

Q
    Lets Go
    Q's Avatar Become A Pro!

i cash on first half bets and quarter bets all the time why would i quit doing that..

netinfo
    netinfo's Avatar Become A Pro!

One should bet on whatever gives you an edge, be it quarter, half, or full games. Here is an example on betting second halves:

If the strong favorite is down for the first half, and down by a good amount, I will sometimes take them in the second half, since I'm presuming that they will come back, win the game, and might even cover the game spread. In any case, the second half bet in this situation is a very good bet, imo.

netinfo

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Another dumb post.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

You bet on whatever makes you money. Who cares if it's full games, halfs, etc? I bet to make money. Period.

benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Beyond half-point values is there a primer somewhere on the forum (or elsewhere) for half/quarter betting?

David A
    David A's Avatar Become A Pro!

So here is my question. Lakers do NOT cover for the game but usually go up at the half. Do you bet the 1st Half vs NO?

mrTr0ut
    mrTr0ut's Avatar Become A Pro!

what do you guys think of the suns/knicks game total o/u of 57 in the 1st quarter?

tcarn01
    Shockers!!!!!
    tcarn01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 595

Lakerboy, I wish there was a button to hit where we could take away points from you for such a stupid post~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dogcity
    dogcity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

Hi lakerboy,

I got a line of -11 for Utah last night or -3 1Q. The 1Q bet would hypothetically give a full game line of -12.

The advantage of the 1Q bet is the push on -3 which extrapolated full game equates to a push at -9 and -10 (-9 and -10 are losers on the regular full game bet.).

The cost here is the -12 scenario which the full game bet cashes and the 1Q bet pushes.

All of this is based on the (crazy???) assumption that you can extrapolate spreads.

Also...if tmA has a stronger starting 5 than tmB you get the benefit of this advantage for several (or many...depending on the coach) minutes at the start of the game. Phoenix is a very different team for the first 9 or 10 minutes of the game before Nash goes off for his regular late 1Q-early 2Q rest. We've all seen Nash sub out>Dragic sub in>lead shrink...it's like clockwork.

Also...there is the 'pumped' factor. TmA is in front of home crowd>tmA's coach is the 'foot-on-the-neck' style (ie Gerry Sloan)>tmB wants to ease into the game (rough road trip/bad chemistry/bad work ethic etc.). All it takes is one good run and the 1Q bet will cash.

Wouldn't these (or other) factors give the 1Q bet a slight edge...if you got a line like the one above?

Cheers,
    dogcity

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I find 2nd halves to be my best opportunity to cash in the NBA. I'm not great at picking full games unless it's a DUH type of line. 2nd half wagers allow me the opportunity to look at the 1st half stats, score, situation, etc. and make a better educated guess on where the game goes from that point. I think this is especially helpful for any game that features teams with back-2-backs or injuries where you have no idea how they will respond until they hit the court.

baazigar
    baazigar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

love playing quarters and halfs
    quickest way to make or lose or cover...without sitting through a whole game
    believe that

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Too much anger around here. My point is that I cap the game and make my bet and ride it out. What I see are so many here that bet 1st qtr and when they lose they bet 3rd qtr and so on chasing their losses. If you bet like that good luck to you. I I feel better winning at the end then losing on some nonsense first qtr bs. Peace

SimonSayz
    SimonSayz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3180

Sounds like we should start a season long 1q/1h/2h thread...agree? I love betting these. I also like the suns -2 1q tonight.